News Article: Cap to stay at around 81.5 million the next 3 years

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That ship has sailed.
Then you don't trade Laine , we need players that can put the puck in the net. Connor and Scheifele can get 30 a year and maybe Ehlers but after that we don't have much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Then you don't trade Laine , we need players that can put the puck in the net. Connor and Scheifele can get 30 a year and maybe Ehlers but after that we don't have much.
But whoever you are trading Laine for has that ability to put pucks in the net too.

Reactions: hn777

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
$2.8-3.2M on a 2-3 year bridge. Something like $4.5M on a 6+ year deal.

Those are ranges predicted by Evolving Hockey's model.

Ya I am kinda thinking a bridge deal... like a 2.5 over 2 years or something. He still hasnt done too much to overly impress me too too much yet but seems like it's just the going rate for youth

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ya I am kinda thinking a bridge deal... like a 2.5 over 2 years or something. He still hasnt done too much to overly impress me too too much yet but seems like it's just the going rate for youth
2.5M seems a bit low, unless it's a 1 year deal. My guess is 2-3 years and something in the 2.8-3.0M range.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont see how Roslovic gets anything more then a 2 year bridge. He's not a core piece and hasn't proven enough for a long term deal given a stagnant cap.

@Whileee what does evolving wild project for Harkins and Appelton on 2 year bridges?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
While I agree completely with your assessment, I do strongly feel that the NHL will throw the teams some sort of life-line to buy their way out of this mess. Something like 2 buyouts over the next 2 years which do NOT count against the current and future cap like it does now.

Jets WOULD have been in a really strong spot - but the others are going to get relief of some sort, unfortunately, in my opinion :(
Who pays for the buyouts?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
$2.8-3.2M on a 2-3 year bridge. Something like $4.5M on a 6+ year deal.

Those are ranges predicted by Evolving Hockey's model.
That’s a disgusting contract for a guy with a career high of 29 points. I’d give him half of that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The one thing about trading Laine is Wheeler isn't getting any younger . I agree we need a center but i'd be trying to move Wheeler and his 8 million dollar salary waaaay before Laine.

If you could move Wheeler and his salary, which you couldn't, you wouldn't get anything much in return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
#### that. I'd lose Wheeler for nothing before being forced to dump better young talent. Chevy's an idiot if it comes to that.

Is he trading young talent to dump salary, or to get assets that fit our needs?

I agree you don't trade Laine to save salary/cap space, but what is the return?

And losing Wheeler for nothing isn't really an option anyway. Full NMC for 2 more years. And what team is going to want to take on a contract that big with that much term remaining under the present circumstances?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That’s a disgusting contract for a guy with a career high of 29 points. I’d give him half of that.

More than half but that seems high to me for what he has managed to do so far.

2x2-2.5 seems about right to me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I dont see how Roslovic gets anything more then a 2 year bridge. He's not a core piece and hasn't proven enough for a long term deal given a stagnant cap.

@Whileee what does evolving wild project for Harkins and Appelton on 2 year bridges?
EH contract projections for the Jets' RFAs.

upload_2020-6-29_13-6-48.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes. But that is too much for Roslovic.
It's perhaps a bit above market value for Roslovic now, mainly because the salary cap will be flat.

His per minute offensive production has been quite good (better 5v5 points/60 than Armia over the past 3 seasons), and his shot metrics have been generally okay (about the same as Armia).

Over the past 3 seasons Armia has a slightly higher overall GAR total, but lower GAR/60. Roslovic has had a higher total xGAR, and much higher xGAR/60 than Armia.

Armia is getting $2.6M on a 2-year deal that takes him to UFA after next season.

upload_2020-6-29_17-37-20.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's perhaps a bit above market value for Roslovic now, mainly because the salary cap will be flat.

His per minute offensive production has been quite good (better 5v5 points/60 than Armia over the past 3 seasons), and his shot metrics have been generally okay (about the same as Armia).

Over the past 3 seasons Armia has a slightly higher overall GAR total, but lower GAR/60. Roslovic has had a higher total xGAR, and much higher xGAR/60 than Armia.

Armia is getting $2.6M on a 2-year deal that takes him to UFA after next season.

View attachment 351863

Yeah Jack is a pretty nice player already. He unfortunately is compared to all the other first rounders on the team who all have prominent roles.

He's definitely covered the bet for his draft spot and could still turn into a solid topn6 player imo.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
There’s not going to be playoff revenue and no bums in the seats until next March at the earliest. The cap will have to come down and players will have to take pay cuts. If the players don’t like it, they’ll have to find another line of work. They have no other real options.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah Jack is a pretty nice player already. He unfortunately is compared to all the other first rounders on the team who all have prominent roles.

He's definitely covered the bet for his draft spot and could still turn into a solid topn6 player imo.

Jack is a guy I will keep an eye on this year. I think there were some high HFBoard expectations on him going into last season based largely off our team needs and he fell short. He is 23-24 this season and I am hoping for another step forward. Currently he provides solid depth in our middle six and I believe there may be one more level but we’ll see. Armia is a decent comp as far as value goes not in style of play of course.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jack is a guy I will keep an eye on this year. I think there were some high HFBoard expectations on him going into last season based largely off our team needs and he fell short. He is 23-24 this season and I am hoping for another step forward. Currently he provides solid depth in our middle six and I believe there may be one more level but we’ll see. Armia is a decent comp as far as value goes not in style of play of course.
I think you could be right. You can see when he plays that the tools are there physically, the talent is there. Right now we are just waiting to see if he can mentally put it together.

Reactions: surixon and ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you could be right. You can see when he plays that the tools are there physically, the talent is there. Right now we are just waiting to see if he can mentally put it together.

I'd like to see him in the middle of that kid line again.

Harkins - Roslovic - Appekton looked great together. Give that line an extended look next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad