Salary Cap: Cap Casualties

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
According to cap friendly, without moving anyone, the Hawks have 64.2M committed for next year. For example, let’s say the cap goes up 2.7M (It went up 2M this time). That would put the cap at 84.2M, leaving the Hawks 20M in cap space.

To keep the same roster together, they’ll have to resign Debrincat, Strome, Lehner, Gustafsson, Kubalik, Cagguila, Crawford and Perlini.

So if Cat gets 9M and Strome gets 5M, that leaves 6M with 7 roster spots to fill.

The Hawks will have to move Anisimov simply to replace Lehner, Gustafsson, Kubalik, Cagguila, Crawford and Perlini with ELCs/minimum salary players and fill out the 23 man roster. And this doesn’t even factor in any bonuses/overage.

————————————

I don’t think a lot of people realize the long term implications of the trades Bowmam has made. The Hawks should not have acquired 3 contracts that go beyond this season. This team is going to be in cap hell after this season. Lehner, Crawford and Gustafsson are all but gone after this season barring trading away guys like Saad, Murphy or Keith to clear space. Maatta may be bought out. Kubalik could easily be gone as well if he prices himself out. These moves to try to win this season are going to harm the future in some way.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
None of this matters when they buy out Seabrook after the next CBA.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Space get tighter, but I certainly see plenty of ways this can be maneuvered around. I'm assuming Crawford is probably gone regardless, so I've been factoring that in for a while.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think Crow is gone which will help with Lehner. I don't think Perlini and Drake will cost to much to re sign. Aren't there smaller contracts that goes off the books next year?

Kubalik is a wild card as we don't what we have.

It's clear Anisimov will be traded before the deadline. Saad will be an interesting in how we deal with him going forward. He has good value. Furthermore, we do a have cheap out with Maatta if necessary.

Gus has always been THE question. Will we try to extend or trade him? That will dictate the potential trades going forward.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Gustaffsson will be gone, Anisimov will be gone, I'm sure they will trade away one of Maatta, DeHaan, or Murphy as well.

Who cares about Perlini, and Cagguila is replaceable.

The fight is on between Lehner and Crawford as to who gets the G job next year, unless Crow wants to sign a really cheap deal to remain a Hawk and be backup to Lehner.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman will sort it out. They have plenty of depth pieces with movable contracts plus Crawford coming off the books will help retain Lehner if thats the way things unfold.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Gustaffsson will be gone, Anisimov will be gone, I'm sure they will trade away one of Maatta, DeHaan, or Murphy as well.

The fight is on between Lehner and Crawford as to who gets the G job next year, unless Crow wants to sign a really cheap deal to remain a Hawk and be backup to Lehner.
This is a complete guess ... but I think the writing is on the wall regarding Crow. It's not due to performance. It's a question about durability. It's killed our last 2 seasons. Crow is just too big of a risk.

Reactions: Cowch and Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Next offseason cat, Strome and Lehner(more then likely) will receive the extensions.
Trade wise there will be moves made. Maybe a Maatta buyout for pennies. Or a trade if he stays healthy. Murphy. Maybe De Hann.
Crawford will expire $6.0.
As far as Caggiula, Perlini and even to a lesser extent Kubalik. Can be replaced if money is tight.
Saad and shaw if desperate.
The only contract unmovable without being painful to dump is Seabrook.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My assumption is that Crow retires after this season. He'll be going on 36 years old, with a history of traumatic brain injuries, and 2 Cups under his belt. No reason for him to keep playing, honestly.

They'll figure things out. Stan is good at navigating the cap.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
According to cap friendly, without moving anyone, the Hawks have 64.2M committed for next year. For example, let’s say the cap goes up 2.7M (It went up 2M this time). That would put the cap at 84.2M, leaving the Hawks 20M in cap space.

To keep the same roster together, they’ll have to resign Debrincat, Strome, Lehner, Gustafsson, Kubalik, Cagguila, Crawford and Perlini.

So if Cat gets 9M and Strome gets 5M, that leaves 6M with 7 roster spots to fill.

The Hawks will have to move Anisimov simply to replace Lehner, Gustafsson, Kubalik, Cagguila, Crawford and Perlini with ELCs/minimum salary players and fill out the 23 man roster. And this doesn’t even factor in any bonuses/overage.

————————————

I don’t think a lot of people realize the long term implications of the trades Bowmam has made. The Hawks should not have acquired 3 contracts that go beyond this season. This team is going to be in cap hell after this season. Lehner, Crawford and Gustafsson are all but gone after this season barring trading away guys like Saad, Murphy or Keith to clear space. Maatta may be bought out. Kubalik could easily be gone as well if he prices himself out. These moves to try to win this season are going to harm the future in some way.
I am still not seeing Strome getting $5 mil...

Also, Crow is off the books next year -AA will be gone one way or another and Saad and Murphy can be moved as well..I am not seeing cap hell here when every contract we have are 2-3 years left outside of the RFA's to be signed. Cap next year will be tight, after that it is expected to go up substantially..

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
We have players coming up on ELC that should be ready by then.
Dach, Kurashev,Jokiharju, Barrett and Mitchell from college. Beaudin will have a year in the Ahl under his belt, even other dmen gilbert, Carlsson and krys. Boqvist also.
Delia or Lankinan making little money as a backup.
Also Shalunov maybe coming over.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I’d rather have a competitive team this year than a boat load of cap space for nothing. Cap hell is always overblown and we have plenty of guys we can trade to shed salary next summer. I’m pretty sure 90% of the people here know where we stand but until we see the number for Strome and Cat who really cares. I’m just excited for this upcoming season.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
So, we lose Crow at $6 mil and what will Lehner resign for? 6 or 7 per? So that's a wash as far as I'm concerned. That still leaves us with plenty of space. I expect AA to be gone so that's another 4.5 to sign either Strome or Cat, who I think will get more. Gus is the ? as I see it. But I'm guessing 5 per for him maybe?

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I just don’t see what the major problem is. In order for this team to competitive over the next five years the majority of the young kids have to hit their potential which means cheap contracts for 3-4 years.

Cat
Strome
Gus
Lehner(if he continues to play well)

Trade AA and I think it’s possible to keep then all. I think is folly to think all these players hit. If they do the hawks are competing for a cup.

The rest are replaceable players. Outside of Kubalik. If you have to trade or buy a Maatta or Murphy to keep him you do it. Even both.

Saad(He is probably gone, but a young forward should replace him.)
Joker
Kampf
Sikura

Do we really care if one of those players outside of Joker walks?

Boqvist
Beaudin
Mitchell

De Haan, Maatta and Murphy are UFA as well. Great timing there.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain

I mean I just wrote a post in the Lehner thread. If Lehner kills it, we get at least to the 2nd round and he is between the pipes I do not ser how you don't extend him instead of Crow. Oh & by the way he is just coming off of a top 3 Vezina trophy finish & just entering his prime. This may be more of a no brainer than people think.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There is not this dire situation like CS2 is describing and I think most posters here understand the situation. This will be cake to navigate.
Yes ... the DIRE situation was when we had huge long term deals kicking in like Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, Hossa, Crow, Bickell, etc. ... with a lot of pending free agents without a lot of cheap talent in the farm system.

Now the cap is going up ... Toews and Kane's contracts don't look too bad ... Stan's cleared a few bad contracts ... and some of the bigger contracts are now shorter/expiring which will be easier to move.

The current situation is NOTHING compared to the abyss the Hawks faced in the past. In fact, Stan's done a good job managing the cap recently. This is coming from a poster who's been highly critical of Bowman's money management for years. The only serious issue is Brent Seabrook. Let's hope for a compliance buyout.

Our books are clean except the Brent Seabrook write off.

Reactions: coolhand

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

————————————

Not even remotely close.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
no way the CAT gets 9 mil. He is a PP goal scorer who is a RFA. he was 33rd in pts. and is not good on D. 7 mil seems about right.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Now, from what I see here: Chicago Blackhawks 2019 Salary Cap
The cap now is 81.5 and the Hawks are at 80.5, and this includes Delia at $1 mil per so there will be some problems signing everyone. But clear out $10 mil with Crow and AA. I now count Strome and Cat at $1 mil per even though they are both just under. Saad may have to go, and Seabs for sure, but we all know how that will play out, he won't leave on his own I think. A lot could depend on the kids coming up if they are ready for the NHL or not. We have to keep Cat, Strome, and Lehner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad