Half-Assed GDT: Canucks @ The Underachiever part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
There's no doubt that Oshie is the far more talented player but you can see the advantages Brouwer brings. Is a tenacious forchecker and is effective at separating the defenseman from the puck. Just play the simple game and alot of us will be eating crow

I'd love Oshie.....on the 3rd line. Hated him on our 1st line

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
My body is ready. You punched our lottery ticket, so we'll beer you later, St. Louis. May your team kick some Chicago ass in the playoffs.

Sincerely appreciate your sentiment. Good luck with the tank and future endeavors. #fireBenning

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd love Oshie.....on the 3rd line. Hated him on our 1st line

Oshie is a 2nd line RW scorer that can play D, improperly utilized here if you wanted points from him.

I had high hopes for Schwartz Stastny Oshie but it didn't last he 1st game

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Can we just play Elliott tomorrow night?

That was what I wanted. I'd have played Allen against the hapless Canucks. I know Hitch doesn't want to burn Elliott out just before the playoffs. But he should keep his word and play a goalie who has just produced a shutout. It's a current Blues' rule.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Oshie is a 2nd line RW scorer that can play D, improperly utilized here if you wanted points from him.

I had high hopes for Schwartz Stastny Oshie but it didn't last he 1st game

Agree. Steen-Backes-Oshie was great against other teams top line, but once the playoffs started, they just couldn't match their scoring. That's almost like a 3rd line shut down line. We just didn't have enough secondary scoring either when the playoffs started. Top line can't score and no secondary scoring isn't a good recipe for success.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Wow...that was about as complete a game as the Blues have played all season. At no point did Vancouver ever really threaten to score and the Blues controlled the puck for what seemed like 75% of the game. Granted, Vancouver stinks...but the Blues are coming together at the right time. Hopefully the STL line can start finding the back of the net, because it feels like the Fab-Stas-Brouw line is carrying them right now...and Bergy-Backes-Jaskin rarely cash in the puck-control. It would be nice to get everyone feeling good about their games heading into the post-season. I'm so glad Hitch has finally let the lines get some consistency and chemistry and stopped tinkering with the groupings. Looks like he's finally found a combo that works.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm so glad Hitch has finally let the lines get some consistency and chemistry and stopped tinkering with the groupings. Looks like he's finally found a combo that works.

Heh, just wait for it when Steen and Ott are back. :p Thou, I doubt Ott will play this season at all or we go SCF he might be ready. Just bashing up, Hitch will find a way to mess up.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
I was at the game tonight - my first in quite a while - and I had an absolute blast. I know the Canucks are slumping, but man the team looked good tonight. I kept catching myself talking about how great a particular player looked in the game and by the end I realized my list was about half the team.

Our rookies look outstanding.

Fabbri has become my favorite player on this team - his poise, confidence, and drive make him look like he's got at least a few seasons under his belt. I don't know if I've said it here before but he plays like Tarasenko. They both have a drive to win and will the team or their line to success. Obviously Tarasenko is on another level, but that ability to take over a play and drive it is something that can't be taught and it's great to have players like that on the team.

Parayko continues to play absolutely beyond where he should be for a player this young in his career. I've never really noticed (not to the extent that I did tonight, at least) how smart he is with his pinches. Several times I saw a puck squeak out and would see Parayko back off and would criticize it to my party, only to see the play develop and realize that Parayko was thinking the play 2-3 moves ahead of what I could see and made the right call every time. When he would pinch it would generate or sustain our possession generally as a direct result of his decision to do so. Parayko is an absolute gem.

Big Joel, I was ecstatic to see he his number when that big slap shot goal went in. I had joked on the drive to Scottrade that he'd get his first goal tonight. I said 3 or 4 times that you could tell he was more inclined to shoot and step in offensively as opposed to in the past. That was awesome for #6 and the place erupted when everyone realized who had the goal.

I really liked Bortuzzo's game tonight. He's a great guy to have as the #7 knowing he can comfortably step in and not miss a beat.

Brouwer looks like he's ramping up his game at the right time. Another big game tonight. Really good to see.

And of course, Mr. Brian Elliott. It wasn't his toughest shutout, but man this guy is playing unbelievable. His compete seems to be unmatched and it's driving him to play a game we haven't seen from him (that I can remember) as a Blue.

I could probably go on, but I've completely ignored everybody else on the car ride home and want to hear what they've been saying on 1120.

Great game. Let's go Blues!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Heh, just wait for it when Steen and Ott are back. :p Thou, I doubt Ott will play this season at all or we go SCF he might be ready. Just bashing up, Hitch will find a way to mess up.

Honestly as long as he doesn't touch the FSB line...does it matter? The STL has been bleh, we know Steen is bumping Jaskin out of the lineup. So you have 2 realistic set ups

Schwartz Lehtera Tarasenko
Steen Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

Btw...I can't remember if they moved Backes back to center lol...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Honestly as long as he doesn't touch the FSB line...does it matter? The STL has been bleh, we know Steen is bumping Jaskin out of the lineup. So you have 2 realistic set ups

Steen Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

Backes has been RW for awhile and had looked great.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Steen Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Berglund Backes
Fabbri Stastny Brouwer

At one point Steen was centering Berglund and Backes...so we might see that again.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Wow...that was about as complete a game as the Blues have played all season. At no point did Vancouver ever really threaten to score and the Blues controlled the puck for what seemed like 75% of the game. Granted, Vancouver stinks...but the Blues are coming together at the right time. Hopefully the STL line can start finding the back of the net, because it feels like the Fab-Stas-Brouw line is carrying them right now...and Bergy-Backes-Jaskin rarely cash in the puck-control. It would be nice to get everyone feeling good about their games heading into the post-season. I'm so glad Hitch has finally let the lines get some consistency and chemistry and stopped tinkering with the groupings. Looks like he's finally found a combo that works.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, as Elliott made 2 great saves that might otherwise have gone in.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
At one point Steen was centering Berglund and Backes...so we might see that again.

Right, I wasn't a fan of it but I was more speaking to Hitch can't really fiddle too much. I think Berglund and Backes have been surprisingly good together, they've got some Chemisty. Getting Steen's shooting ability back in there can really solidify that line.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That's a bit of an exaggeration, as Elliott made 2 great saves that might have gone in.

True..the Hamhuis shot that hit both posts was a close call...but as far as sustained pressure or glorious scoring chances, there were very few for the Canucks. Elliot was sharp...but not tremendously tested.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
After the 2 disasters in Edmonton and Calgary.... I'll take a pummeling of a dumpster team. Canucks didn't roll over and die, they made the Blues earn it

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How many goals do you think Fabbri is gonna score this season? I think it's gonna be around 20.

I think he'll get more than 2 more. He's been getting 2-4 breakaways per game now, PLUS some nice feeds from Brouwer and Stastny. I'll guess 22. Based on the fact that almost all his scoring has occurred since he became comfortable with NHL play, I'd guess that he'll easily score over 30 next season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I can remember a time when the Canucks weren't half an AHL team when faced with a serious contender. How long ago it seems.

Beat Chicago and LA in the playoffs. I'm so bloody sick and tired of watching them win everything.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
Any one else hear Panger say Stas is the best passer in NHL? Got me thinking where he actually stands in the NHL. I do think his set up passes are very underrated since we haven't been able to convert until recently thanks to Fabs. But where does he really rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad