Post-Game Talk: Canucks spank Coyotes 6-1 (Higgins, Hansen, Weber, Santorelli, Sestito, Garrison)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After a game like this you can get a little carried away with praise. Coyotes kind of fell apart so things probably looked better than they will be when the real season grind starts. Still there were tons of positives.

The Good

Luongo - probably the most important aspects of the game was the compete from Luongo. Looked very focused and more agile than in recent times with the team. Getting a solid season out of Luongo is huge for this club.

Edler - hopefully can keep this up. Expecting OEL to dominate but instead Edler was great. Truly the best player in this game.

Tanev - gets to the puck so quickly and gave room for Edler to move up with the puck. Could be the key to an improved season out of Edler

Weber - there are things to not like (like his laying his stick on the ice to block passes and his lack of physical play down low in his end) but he was extremely mobile and illustrated a cannon of a shot. To me, he is every bit as good as Ballard and at a lot less the cost. (not that this is a high recommendation)

Horvat - I think he is emerging as the best of the young prospects. He is so solid on his skates (never gets knocked to the ice) and even at 18 looks physically able to handle this league. Plays with head up and shows poise with the puck. Off this game is on the team.

Sestito - looked no where as awkward tonight and actually did a good job of getting the puck out of his end and in moving the puck around. Plays like this and he will be decent on the 4th line. The Coyotes are probably a better match up for Sestitio since they lack some of the speed the Oilers have. Goal was a little fluky but he was going quickly and hard to the net. Also liked Richardson in this game. Very good wheels and showed good defensive coverage.

Santorelli - hard to see how he doesn't make the team. Again showed good hands and good wheels. A player that looks like he can play up and down the line up.

Hansen looked good with the Sedins. To me Hansen has better balance than in earlier years and is skating stronger. (not running on the ice like before). Might be ready for a break out season.

Thought the Higgins/Kesler/Burrows line was good although they seemed to play in spurts and sometimes seemed to have it in neutral. Really have not seen the old Kesler yet and hope he can turn it up a notch when the real games start. Still his line was effective.

I think there is little to criticize off this game. Alberts had his bad moments but also had some nice stretches of play.

Would say Gaunce might have struggled a little with the speed but again he showed a very good stick in tight quarters. Might ask yourself if he should be ahead of Weise on the depth chart. Sacrifice some toughness but gain a far better overall player.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sestito looks as good as his center, usually. I think the Canucks are going to miss Lapierre. Without a good center, Sestito is like Kessel, a pure goon that taps in a few.:sarcasm:

Luongo didn't look bad. This is all that matters, to me. If his game didn't come around, it would be a serious problem, with guys questioning the systems and stuff.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Weber - there are things to not like (like his laying his stick on the ice to block passes and his lack of physical play down low in his end) but he was extremely mobile and illustrated a cannon of a shot. To me, he is every bit as good as Ballard and at a lot less the cost. (not that this is a high recommendation)

Agree with most of what you said so i didn't quote it but disagree with Weber being every bit as good as Ballard at a lot less cost. The 2 of them really isn't comparable due to being different style of play. Ballard is able to handle the physical game better than Weber and for most of his career (except under AV) was/is a better defensive dman. On the flip side, with AV, Ballard produce 0 offense so Weber clearly looks like he has the edge there. No doubt Weber has a better shot as well.

Of course given the cost and need, Weber is without a doubt a much better fit. Ballard could prove this year he was just in a bad situation but not really nearly as bad as he showed under AV. His downfall was really he became expandable 1 week after we got him given the role he was slotted for was taken by Hamhuis who's pretty much better than him in every way.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
In b4 Tortellini has Santorelli make the team because of that Italian pasta sounding name alone. :naughty:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sestito looks as good as his center, usually. I think the Canucks are going to miss Lapierre. Without a good center, Sestito is like Kessel, a pure goon that taps in a few.:sarcasm:

Luongo didn't look bad. This is all that matters, to me. If his game didn't come around, it would be a serious problem, with guys questioning the systems and stuff.

If anything I'd say the new system will be more forgiving. It couldn't be worse than the no system we've been employing the past while.

King of the ES*

I remember the King of whatever was touting Domi over Horvat.

And gven his love of small samples, we have Domi at 16 and a 1/2 minutes of ice time, no points and minus one. Horvat comes in at less than 13 minutes, 2 points and plus 2.

I don't expect we'll see the "King" posting much when we win.

Domi looked pretty good to me.

King of the ES*

Gaunce certainly started better than Horvat. They've slowly been moving in opposite directions however...

Right now, I would say Horvat has a leg up on Gaunce. Bo seems to get more icetime - which could speak to what the coaches think of these 2.

Yep, I agree with this. Not sure about the "leg up" part, but they've definitely been moving in different directions. Gaunce just seems to be very lacking in the "talent" department, to be honest.

Horvat's been ascending, while Gaunce & Shinkaruk have been descending.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Next game I'm going to make a chart of "simple plays Alberts has botched" vs "simple plays Alberts has executed".

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
In b4 Tortellini has Santorelli make the team because of that Italian pasta sounding name alone. :naughty:

26506.jpg

Linguine... fettuccine...

Next game I'm going to make a chart of "simple plays Alberts has botched" vs "simple plays Alberts has executed".

Nice. I imagine against a slower team (like today) he'll be alright, but against quick-skating teams... ugh.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

Don't forget "simple plays Alberts has managed to turn into penalties."

In all seriousness, is Alberts capable of not taking at LEAST one brain dead penalty every game?!

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yep, I agree with this. Not sure about the "leg up" part, but they've definitely been moving in different directions. Gaunce just seems to be very lacking in the "talent" department, to be honest.

Horvat's been ascending, while Gaunce & Shinkaruk have been descending.

Well, there you have it, those are the negatives:)

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
so I missed the game completely i was looking forward to seeing Horvat vs Domi as when i was

watching the draft live I wanted the Canucks to draft Domi BAD. And when they announced "From

London Knights" I thought for sure we had him!. How did He look tonight? How Did Horvat Look? I

saw his one assist on the highlights looked pretty good. How was his other assist?

Who was the best Canuck players tonight?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Don't want to start a new thread for this, but we're back to using our goal song from our SC run in 2010-11 - or at least for the pre-season.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
so I missed the game completely i was looking forward to seeing Horvat vs Domi as when i was

watching the draft live I wanted the Canucks to draft Domi BAD. And when they announced "From

London Knights" I thought for sure we had him!. How did He look tonight? How Did Horvat Look? I

saw his one assist on the highlights looked pretty good. How was his other assist?

Who was the best Canuck players tonight?

One was a shot that created a rebound and the other was a slick feed to Sestito.

I thought the best players were Luongo, Edler, and Hansen. Other guys who also had strong nights IMO are Horvat, Higgins, Tanev, and Sestito (from usual standards, at least).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Re: Alberts. He had a really rough first period, but I thought he rebounded with a solid second two. Although the fact that he and Sestito both looked quite strong towards the end may be attributable to the Coyotes folding like a house of cards.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Looked like a meat headed lego man just like his dad :laugh::laugh:

Outside of a couple of shifts in the third period, Domi was invisible. A minus player with sixteen and a half minutes of ice time.

Compare that to Horvat with less than thirteen minutes, two points and a plus two on the night.

Domi would only look good to someone watching the game from under a bridge.

A royal bridge.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The canucks were the much better team from start to finish as they should have been. The mistakes they made (and they made some big ones) either rang off the post of were stopped by Luongo. Essentially most every player last night did their job.

And yes Alberts was the worst canuck last night especially the first half of the game before the Coyotes gave up. Alberts is really struggling with speed and his decision making on when to go for the hit. Might be some panic on his part to show the part of the game he's good at (hard hits). He is being pushed by Corrado and Weber and they have different skill sets than him. So far through the action I've witnessed Alberts is the #8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad