Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign James Sheppard and Tuomo Ruutu to PTOs

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If we need someone that speaks Finnish to handle Juolevi, that man should be Sami "Iron Man" Salo.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
guys i'm pretty sure ruutu is only on a PTO to play cards with juolevi and if the kid magically makes the team out of camp help him set up an RBC account and find him a place to live.

hqdefault.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
How it makes more sense to give Ruutu and Shepard PTO over Versteeg is beyond my narrow understanding.

Of course if we did extend to Versteeg and he declined, that's another story.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
How it makes more sense to give Ruutu and Shepard PTO over Versteeg is beyond my narrow understanding.

Of course if we did extend to Versteeg and he declined, that's another story.
none of those guys are guaranteed a spot in the line up,they are fill in,s for guys at the WC thats about it.Versteeg im betting declined to come here and really,i would not blame him with these ding -dongs running the show here.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Does anyone recall when was the last PTO we signed that actually went on to earn a contract with us?
Was Cracknell not originally a PTO?

guys i'm pretty sure ruutu is only on a PTO to play cards with juolevi and if the kid magically makes the team out of camp help him set up an RBC account and find him a place to live.
Well I assume that'd be in Vancouver's famed "Little Helsinki" district. :sarcasm:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Was Cracknell not originally a PTO?

Well I assume that'd be in Vancouver's famed "Little Helsinki" district. :sarcasm:

Nah, Cracknell was signed to a NHL two way contract over the summer and the guys in Utica that pay attention to these type of signings figured he would be a Comet but he ended up staying in the NHL all year.

The only PTO that I can remember from the Canucks camp last year was John Kurtz who ended up being signed by the Comets on an AHL PTO. He stuck around for a few months playing sparingly until he was released and then signed by the Toronto Marlies to a PTO.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If we need someone that speaks Finnish to handle Juolevi, that man should be Sami "Iron Man" Salo.

yeah that's just what we need: sami and olli working out at one of trevor's gyms and a big 700 lb machine that's supposed to fall on salo misses and squishes our #5 pick.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I dislike the job Benning is doing but there is nothing here but standard run of the mill pre-camp stuff for every team. Sign some guys to PTOs to provide some competition and see what happens.

The issue, as I wrote in another thread, comes when a team starts signing these guys to real deals after camp. If that happens it's because many players had a poor camp, young guys are busting and/or the team lacks serious depth. Well it does lack serious depth so....

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Love these moves.

Worst thing Benning could've done was hand another roster spot to rookies like last year. If Virt/Gaunce can't beat out Ruutu or a semi NHL calibre Sheppard they deserve another year in Utica.

Completely agree. Worst case scenario one of these guys sticks because injuries/underwhelming effort by someone... Now the question is would/should the Canucks be in on a PTO for Seidenberg? Personally I'd be willing to give him a shot at a bottom 2 spot; he's a decent upgrade over the hot garbage we filled those spots with last year (Weber, Bartkowski, Biega, who I like but...)... Also ups the 'competition' for camp. I as much as anyone want to see Subban get a flier, but acknowledge that for his sake a mid-season step up may be the easier route.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Nah, Cracknell was signed to a NHL two way contract over the summer and the guys in Utica that pay attention to these type of signings figured he would be a Comet but he ended up staying in the NHL all year.

The only PTO that I can remember from the Canucks camp last year was John Kurtz who ended up being signed by the Comets on an AHL PTO. He stuck around for a few months playing sparingly until he was released and then signed by the Toronto Marlies to a PTO.

Peter Schaefer's the last guy I remember making the team on a PTO.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Realize that PTO's are a crapshoot anyway, but wouldn't guys like Korpikoski or Fleichsmann been better bets than Ruutu or Sheppad?...just sayin'.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Guys come to camp so they have a current resume/scouting report. The hockey community is small and networked. A prospective employer can call and get a rundown on how the guy did in camp.

Canucks also benefit from having players in camp by earning good reports about the org. Or, this is how it's supposed to work. Canucks might not be benefitting that much?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Steveston/ Finn Slough was actually settled by predominantly Finnish fisherman back in the day. The more you know!

and that blonde fella in the paavo nurmi t-shirt grew up to be... jake virtanen's grandfather. and now you know the rest of the story.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
if you say "arnason, bell, calder, ruutu" three times in succession, you can short-circuit pre-toews-era blackhawks fans

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Another reason for PTO's is that there is a league requirement that you dress a minimum NHL veteran lineup for preseason games.

Picking these guys up allows you to sit veterans who need no chance of getting injured. We have 4 -5 guys at the worlds. Do any of them need preseason games?

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Hey guys just wanted to check, is true??

Canucks being in Tuomo Ruutu on PTO?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad