Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign James Sheppard and Tuomo Ruutu to PTOs

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No harm in a PTO but that's a puzzling player to offer it to. Need warm bodies for camp?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Does nothing above-average but has some defensive skill.

All-in-all, he's just kind of "there".

He won't hurt the team.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Does nothing above-average but has some defensive skill.

All-in-all, he's just kind of "there".

He won't hurt the team.

He'll hurt it if he makes the opening day roster and blocks a kid like Gaunce from getting a look. If it's for camp numbers then sure, no problem.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
No harm in a PTO but that's a puzzling player to offer it to. Need warm bodies for camp?

4 forwards going to the World Cup (Sedins+Eriksson+Hansen)

He was a 9th overall pick, he should be more then a flash in the pan at camp. Makes guys like Etem and Gaunce work even harder. Competition is what we need at camp.

I'll be happy if this equates to anything, I was a pretty big fan of Sheppard.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
This is an under-the-radar PTO.

He's certainly an NHL-level player, I'm not sure why he didn't catch on somewhere last year for minimum contract. He can pretty solidly fill a 4th line role and step up the line-up when necessary. He's pretty well-rounded, not going to hurt you.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
4 forwards going to the World Cup (Sedins+Eriksson+Hansen)

He was a 9th overall pick, he should be more then a flash in the pan at camp. Makes guys like Etem and Gaunce work even harder. Competition is what we need at camp.

I'll be happy if this equates to anything, I was a pretty big fan of Sheppard.

He was a 9th OA pick a decade ago, the shine is long gone. Played Europe last season. I'm all for having him around to push the kids, but I'll be pissed (but hardly surprised) if Willie decides he likes the low-risk / upside of Shepperd over letting a kid learn and grow in that spot.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
This is an under-the-radar PTO.

He's certainly an NHL-level player, I'm not sure why he didn't catch on somewhere last year for minimum contract. He can pretty solidly fill a 4th line role and step up the line-up when necessary. He's pretty well-rounded, not going to hurt you.

I wouldn't really go THAT far. Canucks fans are always pleased with mediocrity. It's time for a change. Sheppard is a healthy body just like how the Canes gave Torres a PTO. Then Sheppard will go back to Kloten.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He was a 9th OA pick a decade ago, the shine is long gone. Played Europe last season. I'm all for having him around to push the kids, but I'll be pissed (but hardly surprised) if Willie decides he likes the low-risk / upside of Shepperd over letting a kid learn and grow in that spot.

Flashbacks to when Kassian was scratched for McMillan :laugh:

Extra body for camp. Meh

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He'll hurt it if he makes the opening day roster and blocks a kid like Gaunce from getting a look. If it's for camp numbers then sure, no problem.

If a guy like James Sheppard blocks Gaunce from making the roster, that says more about Gaunce than it does about the decision to bring Sheppy in as a 13th/14th forward.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sounds like a way to get around dressing X number of vets for preseason games. Zero risk move by management.

Don't see a problem with this (as he'll likely take the spot of a vet in the lineup - why risk that guy with an injury in a mean nothing game when his spot is a guarantee?).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If a guy like James Sheppard blocks Gaunce from making the roster, that says more about Gaunce than it does about the decision to bring Sheppy in as a 13th/14th forward.

Not really. 10 year vet knows some things that a green rookie doesn't for Game 1. But the rookie might be better by Game 82.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Once again, the team does something and I have no idea why.

*edit* Assuming this report is correct. Patterson's saying he "hearing Sheppard's name", not that the team's given him a PTO.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Here's a quote from an article that appeared in February of 2015, when Sheppard's time with the Sharks was running down:

"The 26-year-old veteran centre is only making a little over a million and would be a terrific fit or any team looking foror a complementary third liner or a terrific fourth liner. With the Sharks this year Sheppard has simply been asked to do to much. San Jose has played him frequently as their third line center mostly with similar level players. Unfortunately Sheppard simply doesn’t produce enough to lead a third line. He has however shown to be dynamite when playing with Andrew Desjardins on a fourth line and he’s been terrific as a third line winger next to Joe Pavelski. Sheppard’s finishing ability is rather underwhelming but he has above average speed and size (6’1″ 215) and is solid along the boards. For those who haven’t seen him play much, he’s sort of a younger version of Daniel Winnik. He is incredibly versatile, can play center or wing on either the third or fourth lines or a second line in an absolute pinch as the weaker player on a top-6 line."

http://thehockeywriters.com/james-sheppards-days-as-a-shark-may-be-numbered/

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Not really. 10 year vet knows some things that a green rookie doesn't for Game 1. But the rookie might be better by Game 82.

If Gaunce gets outplayed, he shouldn't make the opening roster. Cut and dry. We shouldn't be gifting. We do anyway though.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

So then Gaunce won't play. If you're not good enough, why should you be gifted a spot? And why would you want Gaunce on the roster when he's not ready?

I think there's something getting "lost in translation". I'm not getting what you're saying...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So then Gaunce won't play. If you're not good enough, why should you be gifted a spot? And why would you want Gaunce on the roster when he's not ready?

I think there's something getting "lost in translation". I'm not getting what you're saying...

How do you rebuild a team?

With young players that you've invested a 1st round pick and 4 years developing? A player who has things to learn because he's young and green but has the potential to be an excellent player once he learns those things.

Or a 28 year old PTO who is what he is, namely a fringe NHL player who knows how to get by in the NHL but isn't going to be any better in Game 82 than he is in Game 1.

Who cares if Shepperd is "better" in Game 1. Are we winning a cup with him? Does it make any difference to how how this team performs this year whether we have Shepperd eating bottom minutes or Gaunce? What will we get, 78 points instead of 77? What's the value of Gaunce getting some of the experience and learning that Shepperd already has? I don't think it's zero.

TL;DR Young players get better with time and are worth investing in even if they aren't as good in Game 1.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Gaunce gets outplayed, he shouldn't make the opening roster. Cut and dry. We shouldn't be gifting. We do anyway though.

But outplayed how? Coaches default to low risk / low upside over high risk / high upside. What is Gaunce if better offensively but Shepperd is better defensively cause, ya know, 10 year vets tend to be. Who has "outplayed" the other? Cause I can guarantee Willie will favour the defensively sound vet over the rookie even when the vet is a fringe NHLer and does nothing for the team in the long run. See: Cracknell, Adam.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
How do you rebuild a team?

Didn't Benning say you guys were trying to contend this year?

With young players that you've invested a 1st round pick and 4 years developing? A player who has things to learn because he's young and green but has the potential to be an excellent player once he learns those things.

Again, if your guys' goal is to win (which I was under the impression it is) then why would you play the worse player?

Is Gaunce even ready?

TL;DR Young players get better with time and are worth investing in even if they aren't as good in Game 1.

But you guys are going for it this year?

I'm beyond confused...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad