News Article: Canucks send struggling players out to "ruin [themselves] for the night" in-season(?)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sanderson played in my heyday. He descended so far into the depths of alcoholism that he literally became a a skid row bum drinking from the bottle in a paper bag and passed out on the park bench. His life story is in book form and here is an actual documentary on it that many of you might have seen.

Drinking in those days by players at any level was prevalent night before, day of, between periods, and after the game. I haven't met many hockey players who don't like their beer.

Hockey players are also some of the biggest BS artists on the planet. A good lot are not well educated particularly back in Sanderson's day and before. They were hockey players from an early age and their education was never completed. They drank, they smoked, they womanized, and they played hockey the way lived or vice versa, HARD.

It's changed, but alcohol, beer in particular, is still part of the culture. They do still party. Every year we hear about some major issue with some team and the alcohol problems or partying or both. The Flyers with Carter and Richards and then the surfacing of the same problems in LA with the two at the center of the controversy. Kassian in Vancouver. Evander Kane wherever he goes. Patrick Kane with two major incidents back in Buffalo. There are many more and no team has been spared their story.

Yet, with all of this said, I can't believe this story from the standpoint of management encouraging such a prescription for dealing with a schneid. I think you have a combination of guys having a pop or 2 and the alumni displaying their party behavior reminiscing about the good old days and a Irish writer falling for a ruse.

Yeah. That's exactly what it is.

We all know binge drinking and substance abuse are still around in the game, even at the highest level. Not the same sort of lunacy you'd hear about from "back in the day", but it's still there and it starts right down at the lower levels. It's part of the culture of the game. When the time comes to party, they will part hard. There's evidence of this out there all the time, even for those who haven't been involved in the game.

Then there are the guys we hear about every year with the serious substance abuse problems that wash out of the league and into rehab/behaviour modification programs or open up about their struggle after the fact.

But what we have here, is an article probably foolishly conflating some "wild stories" from back in the day, with a couple players maybe having a beer or two with lunch the day before a game. If that even, considering the only named roster player in the exchange (Gudbranson) has been on the LTIR most of the year...and this whole exchange program thing was centered around the Alumni Scrimmage thing, meaning those guys were certainly around and playing "a game" of sorts - if one was ignorant enough to the NHL to not understand that's a glorified Beer League game, not a real "match".

It's a total non-story, aside from some folks who were apparently somehow ignorant to the fact that NHL players drink, drank, and are sometimes very drunk. Yet are gullible enough to believe the team is encouraging the sort of "change-up" described in the article. :laugh:

Players do stuff and party and let loose like real people. Which i guess sometimes gets lost on a lot of fans who are convinced that they're all just numbers on a spreadsheet? :dunno:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm proud of my ability to chug a beer but even I can't do that. That's just like pouring water down a drain...impressive.

After my training camp that I'm doing for the next couple months I could certainly use a change-up.

The guy I am talking about won state championships in 3 sates in the 70's (how official those were can certainly be debated). He could open his throat and pour the stuff down. Never swallowed. He could drink a bar draft in under 2 seconds.

I don't think he ever lost a drinking contest in his life. Mind you, he had lots of other issues.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I posted this on the main board thread also, but I found it amusing since it was Canucks related, what one Swedish team mate (former?) said, that when the rest of the team are out partying, the Sedins are the ones in their hotel room drinking coffee :laugh:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hockey is a closed shop. They obey orders like "don't give quotes about certain subjects". Want more evidence they hush things up? Name a gay player. Each team has fifty contracts but these fifteen hundred men all happen, by chance, to be straight guys? That certainly flies in the face of most statistical models. Whatever. Like drinking standards, I doubt it impacts the on ice product very much. I might be wrong.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hopefully everyone saw the guys released statement last night about how his comments were completely taken out of context, as well as Botchford's article this morning shedding some more light on the situation. The guy spent more time with alumni than actual players, only actually skating with the team once, the rest with the old timers. No doubt hearing stories from Babych and Lumme about "back in the day", likely embellished as well, got into his head think they were true today.

Such a dumb non-story.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I posted this on the main board thread also, but I found it amusing since it was Canucks related, what one Swedish team mate (former?) said, that when the rest of the team are out partying, the Sedins are the ones in their hotel room drinking coffee :laugh:

:shakehead

No wonder their play has fallen off. Drinking coffee late at night prevents them from getting good rest!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Welcome to the Twitter, Facebook and Trump era of fake news and alternative facts....a whole series of posts about a event that likely never happened....but doesn't really matter anymore about what is 'true' or 'fake'....all that matters is how many people actually believe it....it's becoming a frightening world out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad