News Article: Canucks send struggling players out to "ruin [themselves] for the night" in-season(?)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If anybody wanted proof of an "agenda" of a certain type of Canucks fan that wants to find fault with everything the organization does, truth be damned, this thread would be a good start.

IF there is a story here, it's that there is a drinking culture amongst NHL players. I don't think that's new information. (Roxy Flu, anybody?)

It is foolish for anybody to suggest that Canucks management or coaching staff are encouraging their players to go out and get ****faced as some sort of therapy. I mean, use your brains for a second.

There are many faults to find with the Canucks organization and how the team is performing on the ice. This is nothing to do with that.

I agree with you and I hate this management. It's really showing everyone's true colours, on who has an agenda or not because there are some trying to make this as true as possible.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Sounds to me the management just wanted to get rid of Kassian using any excuse they can find.

They'll condone anything if the old boy's club likes you.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I agree with you and I hate this management. It's really showing everyone's true colours, on who has an agenda or not because there are some trying to make this as true as possible.

Wow;) I agree with you.

Sounds to me the management just wanted to get rid of Kassian using any excuse they can find.

They'll condone anything if the old boy's club likes you.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
That Swedish player has his name on the Cup, and was a teammate of the Twins, was he?

Mikael Samuelsson is my bet.
Reading into it that the player is/was a teammate of the Sedins might not be right? That's never explicitly mentioned. It could also be a shot at the fact they have a reputation as overly clean-cut players.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Reading into it that the player is/was a teammate of the Sedins might not be right? That's never explicitly mentioned. It could also be a shot at the fact they have a reputation as overly clean-cut players.

Hell of a thing to take a shot at guys for. Good grief. And you're right, it doesn't explicitly mention them as a teammate - although if it's not a teammate, that's a pretty random pair of guys to mention.

Although heck, maybe the Twins really are the only paragons of virtue in the NHL. :laugh:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I never really thought people criticized them for being too clean cut, I always only heard about how they're unlikeable because they have no personality really. And probably people get a bit freaked by Alien-esque looking identical twins.

I mean, one of the biggest things Crosby gets **** on for is that he's so boring and that he has no personality. I'll take phenomenal hockey over being a funny dude in interviews all day err day.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
VANCOUVER – Following today's sensational revelations in the Irish Times, General Manager Jim Benning announced the relocation of Vancouver's American Hockey League affiliate from Utica, NY to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

"We just kind of felt the drinking was maybe, like, impacting the team's performance," Benning told reporters Thursday morning. "We feel this is an environment where our young kids can really thrive without distractions.

"I'm told the Saudis have some real good facilities there and all."

When asked which young players the team had in mind, President Trevor Linden opined that it was "the Subbans, the Pedans, the McEnenies and hopefully soon, the Dahléns".

:laugh:

This has to be in an upcoming BoE.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
i think the twins are just poster boys for clean living nhl players.

Wasn't Daniel hanging out with an international drug dealer a couple months ago? :laugh:

In all seriousness, the Sedins are probably the most clean-cut people in the league. Family men, no scandals, never hear about them partying it up at the Roxy or anything. Good human beings, though I do think it's unrealistic to expect younger players to take after that.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
isn't linden a fitness nut?
why would he condone that kind of practice of unhealthy binge drinking?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Wasn't Daniel hanging out with an international drug dealer a couple months ago? :laugh:

In all seriousness, the Sedins are probably the most clean-cut people in the league. Family men, no scandals, never hear about them partying it up at the Roxy or anything. Good human beings, though I do think it's unrealistic to expect younger players to take after that.

Oh for sure, the social media culture a lot of the young players grew up with lends to being a bit more boisterous and outgoing. But yes, the twins and Crosby are probably the best players to "mentor by example", if you will.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Hell of a thing to take a shot at guys for. Good grief. And you're right, it doesn't explicitly mention them as a teammate - although if it's not a teammate, that's a pretty random pair of guys to mention.

Although heck, maybe the Twins really are the only paragons of virtue in the NHL. :laugh:

honestly i hope so. im sick of famous people i like turning out to be closet trump voters or serial killers or whatever the ****

I never really thought people criticized them for being too clean cut, I always only heard about how they're unlikeable because they have no personality really..

ive never actually heard unlikeable, but its pretty easy to infer that they probably arent popular personality-wise, esp with the bro crowd

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
as for this dude's input, he almost certainly took some stuff out of context. even if it was 100% true, its not an indictment of the canucks at all, but rather the entire culture surrounding hockey. as much as id love to say benning has his players sitting around drinking all day (and it would explain the front office's efforts), that just isnt the case

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
honestly i hope so. im sick of famous people i like turning out to be closet trump voters or serial killers or whatever the ****

ive never actually heard unlikeable, but its pretty easy to infer that they probably arent popular personality-wise, esp with the bro crowd

Or trudeau lovers....you can't leave that out;)

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Then answer the question: why would he lie about this?

hes not lying, but he probably just mixed up a bunch of things. a "change up" sounds like a great idea - get your mind off the game and get drunk/laid or whatever, but he's clearly interpreting it to be way more hardcore than it really is

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think, like the Province article contends, that he was out with some alumni, which probably led to a misunderstanding. The behaviour he heard them talk about was something older guys did back in the 1970s and 80s.

I don't doubt that the players have a few beers here and there, but this other excessive stuff sounds right out of the history books. I'm like 90% sure that isn't happening on any team in the NHL. This is all a misunderstanding, and maybe one that is on purpose, considering his episode of this series he was shooting is airing on Friday. Nice timing for a mini media fire.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I seriously doubt any professional sports team would encourage players to get blotto for something as arbitrary as not scoring.

I don't think this is something that is being directed by management, but rather something that is internal and player driven.

I work in the bar industry and have several friends who also work in the bar industry. NHL players like to drink. Hell, CHL players like to drink.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dan Murphy said he's never heard on anything like this in regards to the Canucks. He said this is also the same organization that took chocolate off the plane and didn't allow them to eat pizza.

And you're trying to tell me the organization allows them to go get smashed, as a "change up". Yeah, not buying this at all. :laugh:

There is a difference between what this is being described as, and a player just living his life (like we have all done in our teens). I highly doubt the team tells the playes, "Go get smashed and do whatever you want, we approve...no chocolate or pizza though..."

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad