Canucks' Player Rep Waves White Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

shakes said:
won eh? glad some billionaire gets more money in his bank account while a bunch of millionaire still get to be millionaires... I think your terms are screwed.. the only won/lost scenerio i care about is who lost and thats the fans.
What a hackneyed response. Full of original thought and perception. :shakehead

Guess again. Fans don't "lose" when hockey is not on. Unless you have zip life, no one sits around with their thumb up their arse. Fans go on to other pursuits while there is a lockout.

Without a lockout, NHL hockey would have gone straight into the financial crapper. So you get a better league, in addition to having engaged in other pursuits while hockey was gone. Seems like the fans "won".

GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

No he is a quitter by nature so its very credible.

got any facts to back it up? or is it just something you say out of frastruation because one of the nhlpa member is speaking his mind and its something you disagree with?

Funny. I thought the approach of Massager and the other pro-PA'ers was that players are all fighters and scrappers, and "what do you expect if you take a bunch of hockey players and put their backs against the wall?? Why, they'll fight back, that's what, 'cause they're hockey players!!!" And now Brendan Morrison is a "quitter".

Hmm.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
gscarpenter2002 said:
Funny. I thought the approach of Massager and the other pro-PA'ers was that players are all fighters and scrappers, and "what do you expect if you take a bunch of hockey players and put their backs against the wall?? Why, they'll fight back, that's what, 'cause they're hockey players!!!" And now Brendan Morrison is a "quitter".

Hmm.

Not to mention, it was massager PA propoganda that all the players migrate to Europe to show the NHL the players had "options".

Sammy*

The Messenger said:

Interesting that he was one of the early few to fled to Sweden as a player rep and get a full season in as a scab and now he has had enough.

You are an embarassment.

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
I guess hindsight is always beautiful and it's easy for people to now say, `Why weren't you guys just resigned to this deal at the beginning of last year?' Well, nobody knew it was going to play out this way."

Really Brendan? Nobody knew it would play out this way? Allow me to direct your attention to EVERY living person in North America whi ISN'T a part of the NHLPA.

Gary

gscarpenter2002 said:
What a hackneyed response. Full of original thought and perception. :shakehead

Guess again. Fans don't "lose" when hockey is not on. Unless you have zip life, no one sits around with their thumb up their arse. Fans go on to other pursuits while there is a lockout.

Without a lockout, NHL hockey would have gone straight into the financial crapper. So you get a better league, in addition to having engaged in other pursuits while hockey was gone. Seems like the fans "won".

Unless you include the thousands of fans who make their living off the NHL...Merchandise, Sports Bars...etc. etc.

GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002
What a hackneyed response. Full of original thought and perception.

Gary said:
Unless you include the thousands of fans who make their living off the NHL...Merchandise, Sports Bars...etc. etc.
Well, they are not losing in their capacity as "fans". In fact, it is fair to assume that a lot of those people are not "fans" at all, but just make money working in a store that happens to be a sports bar, merchandise shop, etc. you go to any sports bar and ask a waitress at large whether they are a hockey fan.

I have heard only guesstimates about those "losses". THere is no evidence that people working in ancillary industries such as sports bars have not recouped that revenue elsewhere, even assuming there was a loss. If a waitress in a sports bar lost here job, who can say that she didn't go somewhere else and find another job - perhaps even a better one? There has been no real impact on unemployment rates, and the economy has still grown throughout the lockout. I don't see sports bars closing by the dozen in Canada. i don't see Foot Lockers or memorabilia shops closing in droves.

Any time sports people on TV start saying "oh dear, woe, woe, woe, what about all those little people?", they are just trying to sound a certain way. Tryig to be empathetic. They are simply looking for justification for their views, when they are REALLY all about "oh, woe is ME, I am a hockey guy, and I don't have anything to cover".

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
No one has won this lockout, and the biggest losers are the fans. Especially those of teams on the verge of great things.

:teach:

Really? As a fan, I'm a winner. I got a season tix refund, spent it somewhere else. found other things to do for 82 games + per year. And when the NHL comes back, in most markets, teams are going to be clamoring for fans = reduced tix prices. Plus, the NHL and IT's PLAYERS appear serious about implementing some positive changes/tweaks to the game.

If anything, the lost season has permitted a ton of reflection in a positive way. Hey, I didn't lose any money. Not my problem. Call when you are ready to play and I'll tell YOU what I'm willing to PAY.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
The Messenger said:

Interesting that he was one of the early few to fled to Sweden as a player rep and get a full season in as a scab and now he has had enough.

Quitter?? by nature? I've never seen him quit. Shift after shift, never. Wtf are you talking about?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Seems to me that the only fans who lose are the fans of teams that have to buy their talent because they cannot develop it.

As a fan of a team that has always had to develop talent knowing that what it did develop would eventually leave for greener pastures, I dont feel like I lost, because I know my team will now be playing on a level playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad