Canucks' Player Rep Waves White Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Larionov said:
In case there was any confusion as to who has won this thing, there is an article in the National Post today (and presumably in the Vancouver Sun as well) based on a conversation with Brendan Morrison, Canucks' player rep.

http://www.canada.com/national/nati....html?id=38faed94-d99d-431a-ad53-0643b29de850

won eh? glad some billionaire gets more money in his bank account while a bunch of millionaire still get to be millionaires... I think your terms are screwed.. the only won/lost scenerio i care about is who lost and thats the fans.

88Headdown

Jun 1, 2005
shakes said:
won eh? glad some billionaire gets more money in his bank account while a bunch of millionaire still get to be millionaires... I think your terms are screwed.. the only won/lost scenerio i care about is who lost and thats the fans.

- Well said. Agreed.

X0ssbar

Its nice to see a player such as Morrison speak honestly about the situation but there are no winners in this mess. Truth be told - the game has lost the most in this dispute.

Now is not the time for either party on either side to be claiming victory. As I read somewhere - "Its the NHL vs. the world" right now and the two parties are gonna have to work together to climb out of the huge hole they dug themselves.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
fans are biggest losers, there are no winners

No one has won this lockout, and the biggest losers are the fans. Especially those of teams on the verge of great things.

:teach:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The real question is, what sacrifices should they make. Just because the owners are going to get their salary cap doesn't mean the players are going to roll over.

Lanny MacDonald*

scaredsensfan said:
No one has won this lockout, and the biggest losers are the fans. Especially those of teams on the verge of great things.

:teach:

I dunno, as a Tampa and Calgary fan I'm pretty happy with what has happened. I don't know what other team you could be refering to?

:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hasbro said:
We'll see if this is over or not if Morrison was "misquoted".

No he is a quitter by nature so its very credible.

Interesting that he was one of the early few to fled to Sweden as a player rep and get a full season in as a scab and now he has had enough.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Iconoclast said:
I dunno, as a Tampa and Calgary fan I'm pretty happy with what has happened. I don't know what other team you could be refering to?

:sarcasm:

you know, the one that seemingly begins every season as everyone's "favorite" to win the cup, yet mysteriously gets bonked in the second round.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
shakes said:

Totally disagree. No one here gives a crap about the billionair owners, other than to suggest they have a right to earn money like the next guy. It's the health of the league that we care about, and essentially that's what Morrison is now agreeing with.

The players will not be screwed with the new CBA, they will just be getting slightly smaller paychecks until the league is healthy enough for them to make more.

The fact the players now recognize the ill health of the league OVERALL, bodes extremely well for the fans. :handclap:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The Messenger said:

Interesting that he was one of the early few to fled to Sweden as a player rep and get a full season in as a scab and now he has had enough.

Quitter by nature? Reallllly.

Perhaps as a player rep. he didn't agree with Goodenows leadership, and instead of rocking the boat he took himself out of the immediate picture. You know, to show that unineted front you crow about so often.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
The players have to be marketable to sell the game. IMO over the next few month following a new CBA (salary cap), all the players will be singing te same tune. "It was the right thing for the game" Realistically what else are they going to say?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Further proof that the committe and the players who supported the committe really are idiots. They knew the league wasn't going to back down - and this would be the final result. They lost a years worth of salary (huge money for a lot of players) for no reason, if they weren't so stubborn back in october and november this would have never happened. idiots...

mackdogs*

Pretty good read. I disagree with one thing he says: "nobody knew it was going to play out this way".
Most people with their heads screwed on right knew exactly how this would play out, with the owners bringing the players to their knees and making them say uncle.

ps. not all owners are billionaires

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
To me this is the most telling comment:

"I guess hindsight is always beautiful and it's easy for people to now say, `Why weren't you guys just resigned to this deal at the beginning of last year?' Well, nobody knew it was going to play out this way."

My handy-dandy NHPLA transator box says: Bob Goodenow's single strategy was to see the NHL fold like a cheap chair and when they didn't we were forced to negotiate to the owners gameplan.

This was all Goodenow's fault and this simply porves that point. He didn't negotiate he stonewalled, and that was THE plan, to see the NHL fold.

Now they are employing with a new strategy, negotiating.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
R0CKET said:
To me this is the most telling comment:

"I guess hindsight is always beautiful and it's easy for people to now say, `Why weren't you guys just resigned to this deal at the beginning of last year?' Well, nobody knew it was going to play out this way."

My handy-dandy NHPLA transator box says: Bob Goodenow's single strategy was to see the NHL fold like a cheap chair and when they didn't we were forced to negotiate to the owners gameplan.

This was all Goodenow's fault and this simply porves that point. He didn't negotiate he stonewalled, and that was THE plan, to see the NHL fold.

Now they are employing with a new strategy, negotiating.

I read it in a similair way: "Goodenow said, 'stick with me boys, see what I got you last time...the owners will no doubt fold up like a dirty tent."

Well, well.....you boys have been sold down the river, and I would expect big Bob to be tied to a raft floating down the same river pretty soon after this is concluded.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
As much as we've lost, we've also won in that there isn't a win situation where the NHL just smears the PA with a terrible deal, and we actually get a workabe deal in progress

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
As much as we've lost, we've also won in that there isn't a win situation where the NHL just smears the PA with a terrible deal, and we actually get a workabe deal in progress

Thats whats lost in all of this. People are so concerned with "winning", that they forget that in any bargaining situation the best possible outcome is one where both sides are able to save face and come out with deal they can feel decently about.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
handtrick said:
I read it in a similair way: "Goodenow said, 'stick with me boys, see what I got you last time...the owners will no doubt fold up like a dirty tent."

Well, well.....you boys have been sold down the river, and I would expect big Bob to be tied to a raft floating down the same river pretty soon after this is concluded.
That avatar sums it up nicely. :biglaugh:

myrocketsgotcracked

The Messenger said:

got any facts to back it up? or is it just something you say out of frastruation because one of the nhlpa member is speaking his mind and its something you disagree with?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
he (Morrison) is a quitter by nature so its very credible.

:biglaugh:

A #1 centre in the NHL and "a quitter by nature".

:biglaugh:

And let me guess, relatively speaking, Mats Sundin is not a quitter, right?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad