Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Petey is a top-10 center and performed very well when he had an opportunity in the playoffs.

Matt Tkachuk did have a good playoff run. Prior to that, he was considered a playoff choker.
I think “good” playoff run is an understatement considering he finished 3rd overall, and had the Panthers one, was perhaps the most likely Conn Smythe candidate.

Like I said, Petey has the centre position which is a big plus, but Matt Tkachuk has a better track record of production and is an extremely rare power forward type forward that scores 100 points. Ignoring positions, I think 9/10 game are taking Matt Tkachuk.

Even if they move Pettersson I don't think it will be to May/June, no way they do it in-season.
Rutherford is on record basically saying they aren’t going to hit the panic button until the summer.

Reactions: oceanchild

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Brady is nowhere near as good as Petey. It's not even close.

Ottawa is the perpetual "one year away" team. People think they're on the cusp but ultimately are still a bottom-feeder. It's because they're a fundamentally unserious team and their core is a big part of it. With Brady as the captain.

Poor defensively, bad habits, never take the next step. Big pass.

Petey is a top-10 center. Full stop. That's one of the most valuable assets in the NHL. I don't even think Brady is a top-10 LWer.
Yup.

Forget top 10 center, he’s a top 15 player in the league. Brady isn’t even top 50, probably just barely, imo.

Reactions: bossram

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Why do you think Petey is much better? Tkachuk seems to have the better resume and is way more physical. Frankly, the only reason I think I’d consider taking Petey over Tkachuk is because Tkachuk is a full time winger. Matt Tkachuk is a super unique player being both very physical and a top point producer. He’s also got playoff success.

You pretty much answered it yourself, talking position. I think hockey-wise they are in the same ballpark, I think Petey can be more dynamic offensively and is slightly better defensively. These are really thin margins in which you can’t complain having either.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup.

Forget top 10 center, he’s a top 15 player in the league. Brady isn’t even top 50, probably just barely, imo.

I also think the availability and effectiveness to go along with play style of Brady puts him in this category where he’s there with maybe 2 other guys in the league.

So while I believe you are right, I think the scarcity of what Tkachuk brings inflates his value and honestly I don’t mind paying that. Refs barely look like they know what they’re thinking anymore, you know those whistles are disappearing as soon as the final game 82 is finished. Penalties aren’t a problem for me, it’s not like the old days where you had 5 guys with 250+ and everyone else. You’re hard-pressed to get 100 nowadays, I think we should at least look into that as something we can possibly exploit to our competitive advantage.

The biggest problem as a Canuck fan is it razes our C depth.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the biggest problem with a pettersson trade is that the canucks are going to have to take back significant salary. whatever they get it's going to include 8-12m of salary probably

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This would be one of my targets, as well. Build a tough, playoff designed team, and save about 4 million compared to Pettersson.

I'd likely ask for Greig or Pinto as well in that deal, but it's a decent base idea.

Would EP sign long term in Ottawa, though? Something tells me no.

I’ve yet to reach into the realism side of a hockey trade, which I think would make it difficult to pull off if at all. Most trades are. Funny enough I’ve had earmarked Pinto for this trade as well. It fills a position, but still the C depth looks way too bad for me to want to do it. It is enticing.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Plus no team is going to give up potential franchise players on ELCs like Carlsson and Fantilli for Petey without an extension. Pettersson wanted the Canucks to start winning before committing here longterm. He isn’t going to sign in Anaheim or Columbus when they are bottom feeders.

I mean the OP makes a good point, but what is a mystery box anyway?

During the whole fiasco, you’d have thought Bjugstad would be this 30-goal scorer perennially bc Florida didn’t want to trade him straight up for Luongo. Who wins that trade in a landslide looking back at it?

I mean there’s overvaluing your own players, yeah. But this is on the side of the spectrum that undervalues your own players. For fans yeah it is different, I appreciate we are just talking about hypotheticals, but I’m starting with the moon and moving down from that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I love this acquisition as a free agent bargain bin digger.
Greenway would probably look good on the Canucks fourth line, or on any line with Joshua. But his contract is a major sticking point--$3m a season for this year and next.

Canucks don't have the cap space, and there's no way the Sabres would ever agree to take some some of his salary. So any trade would have to involve a contract going to the Sabres in the other direction.

It's really not that likely that the teams will get anything done imo.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Even if they move Pettersson I don't think it will be to May/June, no way they do it in-season.
It would blow up this season for sure

I also think the availability and effectiveness to go along with play style of Brady puts him in this category where he’s there with maybe 2 other guys in the league.

So while I believe you are right, I think the scarcity of what Tkachuk brings inflates his value and honestly I don’t mind paying that. Refs barely look like they know what they’re thinking anymore, you know those whistles are disappearing as soon as the final game 82 is finished. Penalties aren’t a problem for me, it’s not like the old days where you had 5 guys with 250+ and everyone else. You’re hard-pressed to get 100 nowadays, I think we should at least look into that as something we can possibly exploit to our competitive advantage.

The biggest problem as a Canuck fan is it razes our C depth.
We should still have Lindholm and miller

Many of the teams that would push for Petey have a Center that could come back.

Reactions: theguardianII

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The correct move is probably to trade Pettersson and whatever it takes, including Demko, to get Luke and Jack Hughes from the Devils.

If Fans think the current Pettersson contract fiasco is bad, wait until Quinn approaches free agency in 2027.

Forewarning, it will likely tear the Franchise apart.

Reactions: David71

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
The correct move is probably to trade Pettersson and whatever it takes, including Demko, to get Luke and Jack Hughes from the Devils.

If Fans think the current Pettersson contract fiasco is bad, wait until Quinn approaches free agency in 2027.

I think Hughes relishes the fact that he is captain, his play stepped up immediately at the start if the season since he was given the C. When his contract expires he may want to go join his brothers in NJ, but honestly I feel like Hughes is quite happy as a Canuck. With Pettersson I feel the exact opposite.

Reactions: David71

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I always assumed we would be rebuilding by the late 2020's anyways so it's not really shocking. Our window was always 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad