Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Playoffs Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
must be a April fools post

4yrs for Myers ....yuch

That poster is overly infatuated with size. Evident by the players they want to target, the size of contracts they'd offer, size of posts they write out etc.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think there's any chance the team trades Boeser. At least not until next deadline if his ask is too high. Even then if the team is in the playoffs or chasing it they'll just let him ride to free agency.

Even if it's what some fans want. He's had a great year, is on a reasonable contract which the Canucks won't be able to replace easily.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is the priority list given Hronek and Podkolzin are RFAs and should get signed. I only put C above D because Raty is developing and Suter can hold it down for a year to buy time if we need it. Joshua needs to get done because if not were immediately looking for a player like him. He's a priority over 3C and Zadorov for me

____A____ Miller Boeser
Hoglander Pettersson Mikhayev
____C____ ____D____ Garland
Bains Suter Podkolzin
DiGuiseppe

Hughes Hronek
Soucy _____B____
____E_____ Juulsen
____G_____

Demko
____F____
Boeser and Mikheyev should be gone in the summer to accommodate the raises and some other additions to fill out the line-up.
How do you plan on doing that and improving the top6?

Reactions: Nick Lang

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think there's any chance the team trades Boeser. At least not until next deadline if his ask is too high. Even then if the team is in the playoffs or chasing it they'll just let him ride to free agency.

Even if it's what some fans want. He's had a great year, is on a reasonable contract which the Canucks won't be able to replace easily.

The franchise is also a fan of the guy. Only way I see him getting traded is for an equivalent immediate upgrade to the roster at a different position.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

yes it's become weird that people are looking at a 40goal guy making 6.65 with 1 more yr as the player to push off to try and improve our PP and top6.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How do you plan on doing that and improving the top6?

Mikheyev has no bearing on the top six. You can reallocate that near $5M off the fourth line. Boeser will obviously be harder, but his 40 goals were front loaded and he’s been a mediocre contributor at his salary over the last 30 games or so. They’ve also been finding it hard to figure out who his linemates should be now he’s been broken up from Miller. He doesn’t work all that well with Pettersson.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
First it was “wait till the boys get home”.

Now it’s “they were home too long. Need to get out on the road”.

I understand trying to put the positive spin.

But they have not been good for awhile, PP is atrocious and they are dealing with injuries.

They just need to figure shit out or it’s going to be a short postseason.
He's just being honest what do you want him to say? "When i played we would skate uphill both ways and fight a goon every shift while concussed to try and win the regular season championship"

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm the furthest thing from a Boeser fan but it's highly unlikely he gets traded.

I like Mikheyev and would like to see another season from him - first year back from ACL surgery is notoriously a tough one, look at Pavel Bure or Connor Brown this year - but he's obviously the easiest big contract on the team to move away from to facilitate upgrades.

Reactions: Vector and sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Mikheyev has no bearing on the top six. You can reallocate that near $5M off the fourth line. Boeser will obviously be harder, but his 40 goals were front loaded and he’s been a mediocre contributor at his salary over the last 30 games or so. They’ve also been finding it hard to figure out who his linemates should be now he’s been broken up from Miller. He doesn’t work all that well with Pettersson.
this is not an answer? Who what for how much?

Or are you just complaining. How has Pettersson's scoring been lately? The whole team has struggled Boeser is actually one of the few getting goals still and his contract doesn't give you any leverage in a deal without an extension built into it. It's a stupid narrative given we need a PP scorer top6 winger and he's doing just fine. Yes he's not Rantanen Pastrnak or Nylander but those cost 11-13 million and are unavailable

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Or are you just complaining. How has Pettersson's scoring been lately? The whole team has struggled Boeser is actually one of the few getting goals still and his contract doesn't give you any leverage in a deal without an extension built into it. It's a stupid narrative given we need a PP scorer top6 winger and he's doing just fine. Yes he's not Rantanen Pastrnak or Nylander but those cost 11-13 million and are unavailable

Not complaining that’s just the reality of the cap. If you want to extend let’s say 3 of the major UFAs plus Hronek you’ll need to cut corners somewhere. I just don’t see them extending Boeser so no real reason not to shop around, you can always move him as a precursor to another deal or signing to reallocate dollars. I’m not going to pretend to know who they’d target.

Reactions: Nick Lang

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The only way trading Boeser makes sense is if they have Guentzel signed/sealed/delivered and feel that he's an upgrade (and he probably is).

Reactions: Vector and rypper

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The only way trading Boeser makes sense is if they have Guentzel signed/sealed/delivered and feel that he's an upgrade (and he probably is).

I'm the furthest thing from a Boeser fan but it's highly unlikely he gets traded.

I like Mikheyev and would like to see another season from him - first year back from ACL surgery is notoriously a tough one, look at Pavel Bure or Connor Brown this year - but he's obviously the easiest big contract on the team to move away from to facilitate upgrades.
Those are the kinds of bold moves you hope for but highly unpredictable. It's not that realistic to project but sure think outside the box to make your team better for sure. You have to be open to rocking the apple cart i have zero issue with that.

I think they are gonna give Mikhayev next year to get back on track unless they can get creative and that's fair given his injury. It is hard to watch some nights because of his unwillingness to get greasy and go the net.

It's also an interesting idea to buy out Mikhayev and then sign Guentzel?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Take Hronek to arbitration. Get 2 years.

Send him and Hog to Columbus for Jiricek.

Hughes - Jiricek
Soucy - Willander in 2 years.

Then try to flip Hughes for Power.

Power - Jiricek
Soucy - Willander.

That’s youth, size and skill.
Yknow this keeps me up at night sometimes

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Trading Brock comes from the rationale of capitalizing on his current value given:

a. unsure if he can repeat it next year
b. UFA after next season

The cap space argument is less strong than it was previously due to the rising cap and a ton of UFAs after this season.

I just don't see his value being much different than it previously was.

Coupled with the need to replace him as a Top 6 forward, it gets more complicated.

So unless there's a deal that can't be refused, I just don't see it happening.

It's more likely that Mikheyev gets dealt or even Garland.

The returns won't be anything substantial but allows for the flexibility to try and improve the team, both upfront and on the back end.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I just dont get how moving Boeser does anything for us.

The reality is we need ANOTHER top forward not rob peter to pay paul. I mean sure if you can pull a rabbit out your ass and come away with a couple top6 studs and then he's traded sure but that's a huge ask for a team with Hronek Lindholm Myers Zadorov Joshua Lafferty Blueger Cole DeSmith all Free agents. Could you imagine our former GM having this off season i would be mortified at the prospect of it

It's gonna be really tough without locking down some cost certainty soon after the season is over to look at moving the good signed players you have

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He has something like 23 points in his last 30 games. Not bad?

I mean he has 8 goals in his last 26 games or something and scored 3 times in 12 games in March. He has 17 points in his last 26 games, but the goal scoring hasn’t been near earlier levels.

He’s basically been on an offensive downtrend since November. Obviously it’s not realistic to assume he’d stay around the scoring leaders, but he’s been more of a 25-30 goal guy back-half of the year.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Those are the kinds of bold moves you hope for but highly unpredictable. It's not that realistic to project but sure think outside the box to make your team better for sure. You have to be open to rocking the apple cart i have zero issue with that.

I think they are gonna give Mikhayev next year to get back on track unless they can get creative and that's fair given his injury. It is hard to watch some nights because of his unwillingness to get greasy and go the net.

It's also an interesting idea to buy out Mikhayev and then sign Guentzel?

I'm sure they like Mikheyev and *want* to give him another year (and I theoretically agree with that) but if it comes down to a choice between keeping Mikheyev and retaining Joshua, Mikheyev has to be gone and if they don't make that tough decision they deserve to be harshly criticized for it.

Teams like Vegas or TB would not be keeping Mikheyev in that situation. To compete you have to be ruthless and this isn't the Make Friends League.

It will be interesting because they were ruthless with guy like Dickinson and OEL but it's an entirely different thing to punt the signings of the dumb ex-GM vs. doing it to your own first big UFA signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad