Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Playoffs Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i was playing around on capfriendly

assuming blueger, joshua, and hronek combine around ~12.5, they have the space to make meaningful additions

not sure how much of a hometown discount you can convince tanev to take but i left 4.5 for a second pair RD. Also gave us 4 to acquire a top six forward (vatrano?) and 2 for a backup goalie (think we should just bring back desmith and not overcomplicate things), and about 2.5-3 for another bottom pair D.

i doubt all of mikheyev, garland, and boeser return but that’s a bridge i imagine they’ll cross in the summer.

Hoglander - EP - New Winger (4)
Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser
Joshua (3.25) - Blueger (2.25) - Garland
Podkolzin (1) - Suter - PDG
2 of Bains/Aman/Raty/etc

Hughes - Hronek (6.75)
Soucy - New 2nd Pair D (4.5)
New Bottom Pair D (2.5-3)
- Juulsen
Depth D

Demko
DeSmith (1.8)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The effects of Benning's disastrous management could be felt this deadline, at a time when we really could've used some extra cap/assets to round out the team. A depth RH defender or another cheap middle 6 winger to supplement our forward group and push Suter to 4C would've been nice.

Makes me wonder if we could've utilized LTIR more to our advantage. Other teams like Tampa have pulled off some shenanigans in the past by trading for similar contracts (Gaborik, Seabrook) and committing fully to LTIR in order to get the cap space they desperately needed.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

assuming blueger, joshua, and hronek combine around ~12.5, they have the space to make meaningful additions

not sure how much of a hometown discount you can convince tanev to take but i left 4.5 for a second pair RD. Also gave us 4 to acquire a top six forward (vatrano?) and 2 for a backup goalie (think we should just bring back desmith and not overcomplicate things), and about 2.5-3 for another bottom pair D.

i doubt all of mikheyev, garland, and boeser return but that’s a bridge i imagine they’ll cross in the summer.

2 of Bains/Aman/Raty/etc

Hughes - Hronek (6.75)
- Juulsen
Depth D

Demko
DeSmith (1.8)

If they have a legitimate chance to sign Guentzel for roughly $9m AAV. It will cost them Mikheyev, and may be Garland.

On defense, what I like about what they can do is that Cole and Myers may take less to stay. Further, Tanev and Dillon have expressed interest in signing here. Meaning, they don't have to chase any mid-pairing, mid-aged dman for term (Roy or Walker). They can remain flexible.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If they have a legitimate chance to sign Guentzel for roughly $9m AAV. It will cost them Mikheyev, and may be Garland.

On defense, what I like about what they can do is that Cole and Myers may take less to stay. Further, Tanev and Dillon have expressed interest in signing here. Meaning, they don't have to chase any mid-pairing, mid-aged dman for term (Roy or Walker). They can remain flexible.
I’d rather have Matt Roy than Myers, Tanev, Cole, or Dillon. But yeah, he could be expensive and value is key to success for us.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I wouldn’t sign Guentzel for $9M. Thats a huge risk. I would focus on D. We could use a #3

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I wouldn’t sign Guentzel for $9M. Thats a huge risk. I would focus on D. We could use a #3
With our cap structure and OEL’s penalties hitting the books for the next 3 years, we are going to have to get used to the idea of suboptimal fits, whether that’s Mikheyev or Suter in the top 6 or non-ideal defensive depth. Once we’re clear of LTIR hell, we can load up and shore up those suboptimal fits at TDL.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
My hope would be to sign Tanev, and two of Myers, Cole, Dillion or a different player, with the ultimate goal of keeping salaries down.

I would then try to target an RFA, youngish, scoring forward in the trade market.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Here's my crack at having an improved rostor for next season. Would have to trade Mikheyev for it to work. Obviously you can massage the cap hits a bit either direction but it's a rough draw up.

Guentzel (8.5) Pettersson (11.6) Hoglander (1.1)
Podkolzin (.9) Miller (8) Boeser (6.6)
Joshua (2.9) Blueger (2) Garland (4.9)
Suter (1.6) Raty (.8) Lafferty (1.2)
PDG (.8)

Hughes (7.7) Hronek (6.8)
Soucy (3.2) Tanev (4)
Zadorov (3) Myers (3)
Juulsen (.8)

Demko (5)
Desmith (1)

OEL (2.3)

Total 87.7M

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Or trade both Garland and Mikheyev...

Joshua (2.9) Lindolm (6) Lekkerimaki (1)
PDG (.8)

Soucy (3.2) Tanev (4)
Zadorov (3) Myers (2.9)
Juulsen (.8)

Demko (5)
Desmith (1)

OEL (2.3)

Total 87.7M

All this point being is Canucks no longer have cap space problems. I think with moving Kuzmenko we now have the cap space to get creative.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

2 of Bains/Aman/Raty/etc

Hughes - Hronek (6.75)
- Juulsen
Depth D

Demko
DeSmith (1.8)
1 - Assuming you are right on Joshua, Blueger and Hronek, they only have 15 players signed, and maybe $13M to sign 8 more players. That is not going to allow them sign anyone to a big number, particularly if Lindholm is coming back. Considering what we paid for him, I hope he is not just a rental. (If he is a difference maker this playoffs and we win the cup then I eat my words)

2 - The team chemistry is good. I think Garland is happy now, and will be staying. Boeser has been earning his salary this year. Mikheyev has negative value at his salary unless he actually starts scoring. I think they are all back.

3 - I hate using LTIR to balance the books. Having cap space is valuable, (a concept that seemed to be way beyond dim Jim's comprehension) and it would be nice if we actually managed to start working on that idea.

We have had some very nice surprises this year. Our 3rd and 4th lines are not overpaid, and have been great for the most part. Juulsen has been way better than expected. Podkolzin has looked good and I think is here to stay. Hopefully he signs a good contract. Petey came in on a better than expected contract, and is here for life. Hughes is vying for the Norris. Miller is a beast this year. Boeser is continuing to score goals.

We have the rest of March at home, and by the end of it we should be over 100 points with 8 games to play.

No one was predicting this for the Canucks this year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Here's my crack at having an improved rostor for next season. Would have to trade Mikheyev for it to work. Obviously you can massage the cap hits a bit either direction but it's a rough draw up.

Joshua (2.9) Blueger (2) Garland (4.9)
PDG (.8)

Soucy (3.2) Tanev (4)
Zadorov (3) Myers (3)
Juulsen (.8)

Demko (5)
Desmith (1)

OEL (2.3)

Total 87.7M

Bolded are all too low - perhaps a Tanev is a bit high imo. I don't think there's room for Guentzel, nor I do think it would be wise to sign him or Lindholm to some sort of 7 year deal. That's where a guy like Buchnevich is great as he has one year remaining (or Greenway). Here's what I think is realistic (barring the team magically acquiring Buchnevich and Greenway ;)) / would like to see:

Suter (1.6) Miller (8) Boeser (6.6)
Buchnevich (5.8) Pettersson (11.6) Hoglander (1.1)
Joshua (3) Blueger (3) Garland (4.9)
Greenway (2, 1M retained) Aman (0.8) Podkolzin (0.9)
PDG (.8)

Hughes (7.7) Hronek (7.5)
Soucy (3.2) Myers (3)
Zadorov (3.25) Tanev (3)
Juulsen (.8)

Demko (5)
Backup (1)

OEL (2.3)

Again though this is the team magically acquiring Buchnevich, Greenway and dumping the last year of Poolman and last two years of Mikheyev. But that's why is the fantasy thread.

Last edited:

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Or trade both Garland and Mikheyev...

Joshua (2.9) Lindolm (6) Lekkerimaki (1)
PDG (.8)

Soucy (3.2) Tanev (4)
Zadorov (3) Myers (2.9)
Juulsen (.8)

Demko (5)
Desmith (1)

OEL (2.3)

Total 87.7M

All this point being is Canucks no longer have cap space problems. I think with moving Kuzmenko we now have the cap space to get creative.
I like this approach and most of what you’ve done but a couple revisions I’d consider:
- Trading Boeser instead of Garland depending on what extension costs look like. Boes is one of my favourites but his value might be at its peak, and I think Garland better fits the style our team wants to play. Lekkerimaki should eventually fill in for Boes
- Let Lekkerimaki marinate in the AHL and consider calling him up later
- Zadorov is a tough pass, but by all accounts he wants long term. I’d consider Dillon on a two year deal instead. Lines up better with Willander’S and EP2’s windows.
- I’d bring Blueger back

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in the end i agree it’s probably for the best we didn’t go chasing waterfalls

but it’s hard not to look back over the last couple weeks and not imagine
JR/PA: come on petey, let’s negotiate and sign now, it’ll help us going into the trade deadline​
EP: okay​
EP yesterday: ....​

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Worth noting the rumored Hanifin extension still hasn't happened.

Wonder if there is some truth to him wanting to go Florida (Tampa).

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I still think you explore trading Boeser in the offseason if a deal opens up.

Lekk is atleast a year away.

Same with Willander.

But both should have an expectation of playing the year after.

Hronek is an interesting one. Either he signs a LT deal or you have to look to trade him in the offseason. Not ideal but can’t risk him walking a year later unless you treat him almost as a rental next year if he just accepts his QO.

Myers has played well but I have no desire to bring him back unless it’s at a massive discount.

Bring dad home.

Look to bring Joshua back. Brings an element the team sorely needs.

Blueger is an option but depends on the price.

If Raty continues his progression, could be an occasional option in the bottom 6.

I’d keep Garland unless the market changes drastically for him. I doubt it and with his chemistry with Joshua, like to keep them together.

If Boeser does move, either FA signing for Top 6 or bring someone in the deal that swaps with him.

Bring back Zad if the price is right.

Let Cole walk.

Fill in the defense with cheap(ish) depth.

I have more faith in mgmt to execute than in quite sometime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest