Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Domi looked lost for part of the season but really picked it up. He would fit well on EP line. He could sign for 3.5-4 M

Hog-EP-Domi would be good.

If Dak signs try him too.

Dak-EP-Domi. Thats a good mix of skill, size and grit.
I think Bertuzzi would be a more likelier candidate.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If Domi is willing to sign at like 2m then...maybe. He took more minor penalties than anyone else on the Maple Leafs. Doesn't PK at all. Wasn't productive on the powerplay (2 points in 103 minutes). Prone to disappear for long stretches.

Actually, even at 2m there'd have to be almost no other good options.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Scared of age + already slow skater.

This is why I'd structure the contract to be frontloaded. Something like what Josh Morrissey has, albeit nowhere near that amount, obviously. If you bought out his last year, it's half his current cap hit.

Regardless, I don't imagine Toffoli cashing in since he's never gone for money before. I think we could realistically offer him close to the exact same contract Montreal did: 4.25m/4yrs. I do agree, he shouldn't be our first pick necessarily. We have to take a serious run at Guentzel but I don't want Rutherford to tunnel and we wind up with nothing.

Domi looked lost for part of the season but really picked it up. He would fit well on EP line. He could sign for 3.5-4 M

Hog-EP-Domi would be good.

If Dak signs try him too.

Dak-EP-Domi. Thats a good mix of skill, size and grit.

I'd be shocked if Domi doesn't sign with the Leafs. Apparently, he's been trying to sign with them for years but Dubas wasn't interested. His dad played for the team, and he had a pretty solid season. Can't see any reason they wouldn't want him.

For myself, I worry about Domi's consistency. If it's a good fit, then he excels but we saw how big a drop off he had in Montreal and Dallas. So he's far from a first choice.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If Domi is willing to sign at like 2m then...maybe. He took more minor penalties than anyone else on the Maple Leafs. Doesn't PK at all. Wasn't productive on the powerplay (2 points in 103 minutes). Prone to disappear for long stretches.

Yeah I think I’d still take Blueger at 2m over Domi.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kiefer Sherwood is an upcoming UFA that I think will get a lot of attention, including from the Canucks. Finally made the NHL full-time and will 29 years old for most of next season. 10-17-27 in bottom-6 minutes while playing very physical. Average size, not the fastest, and hasn't PKed all that much. Could probably sign him to a Curtiz Lazar-type contract.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Kiefer Sherwood is an upcoming UFA that I think will get a lot of attention, including from the Canucks. Finally made the NHL full-time and will 29 years old for most of next season. 10-17-27 in bottom-6 minutes while playing very physical. Average size, not the fastest, and hasn't PKed all that much. Could probably sign him to a Curtiz Lazar-type contract.
he was a total pain in the ass all series long.

Reactions: rea

rea

Feb 8, 2011
He's Asian too, good sell to the fans =)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Suter Miller Boeser
Guentzel Lindholm EP
Joshua Blueger Garland
Hoglander Aman Podz

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zad Juulsen
(Woo? Friedman? Wolanin? etc...)

Demko
Silovs

Trade Hronek and Mikheyev, let Cole, Lafferty, DeSmith walk, re-sign Myers for cheap, Lindholm and Joshua and Blueger for hopefully reasonable amounts.

Offence is better, defence is less offensive but might be equal or better defensively.

Should get some good return for Hronek, but not for Mikh.

I dunno if this kind of roster is possible, too many variables and the OEL nonsense kicks in.

I'm also not sure if having 4-5 high cost forwards is the best way to go, though Miller, Boeser, and potentially Lindholm could be on fairly cost-effective deals. EP is costly, Guentzel would be as well (Toffoli would be more of a bargain choice), and Hughes is going to need a big raise pretty soon too.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Over the next 5 years the Cap is estimated to go up approximately 50% to 120M or so.

Signing players now to long term deals means their percentage of the cap also goes down over the next 5 years leaving mucho cap space in the near future.

This is why the contracts of EP40 and JT Miller (already is) will soon be screaming bargains.

A 5M contract signed this year will become the equivalent of the current 3.5M contact.

Hopefully Émilie Castonguay figures this out and signs longer, lower cap hit contracts for their important UFAs.

They could stabilize the Franchise and make it competitive for the foreseeable future or go the GMJB route and let their assets drift away because "they ran out of time."

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Tanev staying in Dallas, I bet.

I’m not totally sold he’s staying In Dallas. I think his wife always loved Vancouver and he’s always loved the city of Vancouver so we have a chance also Dallas has even less cap room than us to work with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Heh, he was on my same list of potential depth signings as Dakota Joshua two offseasons ago.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I’m not totally sold he’s staying In Dallas. I think his wife always loved Vancouver and he’s always loved the city of Vancouver so we have a chance also Dallas has even less cap room than us to work with.

From what we know, Tanev really wanted to be included in the Lindholm deal but Calgary asked for the moon. Supposedly, when we circled back, Edwards wasn't thrilled Conroy was making deals with us (or potentially Edmonton). So it was either we vastly overpaid or we weren't getting him.

Makes me think his heart might still be set on returning depending what the offer is.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not clear on how the cap is going to go up 50%. i don't see any massive tv deals in the offing and i don't know if they can raise ticket prices enough to pull that off.

From what we know, Tanev really wanted to be included in the Lindholm deal but Calgary asked for the moon. Supposedly, when we circled back, Edwards wasn't thrilled Conroy was making deals with us (or potentially Edmonton). So it was either we vastly overpaid or we weren't getting him.

Makes me think his heart might still be set on returning depending what the offer is.

the way he's playing right now i suspect a team is going to open up their checkbook.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
not clear on how the cap is going to go up 50%. i don't see any massive tv deals in the offing and i don't know if they can raise ticket prices enough to pull that off.

the way he's playing right now i suspect a team is going to open up their checkbook.

The speculated amount is roughly 87.7M next year. So 4M-ish raise. I believe it's due to player escrow or something from the covid years the players had to pay back being finalized that's prompting a significant rise. Several owners have also pushed pretty hard for it.

I think it'll come down to whether he wants term or salary. I could teams offering him a bigger payday but less term due to his age. Only way we can win the bidding war is to offer 3-4 years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Exactly.
Hughes told management to bring him back.

Tanev wanted to be includeda in a trade.

Who the hell doesn’t want to play with a 90 point dman. Oh man the Hughes Tanev will be playing with is a different Quinn Hughes he played with before .

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Over the next 5 years the Cap is estimated to go up approximately 50% to 120M or so.

Signing players now to long term deals means their percentage of the cap also goes down over the next 5 years leaving mucho cap space in the near future.

This is why the contracts of EP40 and JT Miller (already is) will soon be screaming bargains.

A 5M contract signed this year will become the equivalent of the current 3.5M contact.

Hopefully Émilie Castonguay figures this out and signs longer, lower cap hit contracts for their important UFAs.

They could stabilize the Franchise and make it competitive for the foreseeable future or go the GMJB route and let their assets drift away because "they ran out of time."
Sources?

Do you have anything to substantiate that league revenues are about to almost double?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
we're already too soft IMO. losing Joshua to keep Lindholm is a mistake. Blueger and Joshua combined likely cost what you're paying Lindholm.
Lindholm is a top6 forward. We need 2 of them. The minute we move away from him we will be looking to replace him in free agency and that comes with substantial pain in term and AAV

The thing some people are overlooking with Lindholm also is the potential that Miller may be better suited to the wing in a couple years and that even Pettersson can be used in that capacity now if they want to load a top6 vs having 3 quality Cs.

Lindholm is an outstanding PKer is a good bumper player on the PP once they figure it out and makes us as good as any team down the middle 1-2-3
google is your friend.
Maybe you can post them so everyone doesnt have to look for them and back up your statement?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have to think outside the obvious box here. Just because Tocc is using Lindholm as a 3C now doesn't mean he can't adjust next year and move Lindholm to C Pettersson and Hoglander while Lekkerimaki cooks so when we get the OEL and Mikhayev pain were ready

And moving 40 or 9 to the wing essentially gets us one of the best wingers in hockey immediately without losing too much down the middle at 5v5

We cant be giving Guentzel 10 million when we still have to solve our defense and then dont have a good 3C without anything coming off the books the following year either which is why we probably have to decide between Lindholm or Joshua or we will lose Brock without the cap going up 5-6 million.

Have to leave some money too for Hoglander if he breaks out which is why i advocate for a 1yr top6 like Tofu Perron Arvidsson if they can get it done to bridge to Lekkerimaki and a Tanev or Myers to bridge Willander situation

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I have no interest in Domi. His defensive conscience is basically non-existent, which isn't going to work with Tocc.

He can create some rush chances, which is a deficiency, but he's not the right target.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That's a good call. He might get more though. I could see a lot of interest from teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad