Rumor: Matvei Michkov terminates his contract with SKA and continues his career in Philadelphia

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Hockeydb and some other sources are hilariously out of date on specs.

He’s probably gonna be 180+ by this fall and plays with a low center of gravity and tremendous balance. He’s short but stocky like Bedard.
He’s nowhere near 180.
IMG_5961.jpeg

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Given the trials and tribulations involved in getting some of our other Russian prospects over here, I would probably play my cards close to the vest in his shoes, too. Better not to get too far ahead of ourselves, especially since the team can't negotiate/pay for his release; that has to be done by the player directly.
fair enough! Listening to it, I was left with the impression that he was telling the truth since its in french and nobody will likely listen to it. But yeah, he shouldnt talk too much about it

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Makes all the teams who drafted 2-6 look pretty stupid considering the main downside is now negated.

I am happy with Will Smith but still Michkov should have been in the conversation at
I think he made it pretty clear that he was going to philly, I wouldnt be too angry at our scouts for passing on him because I think Michkov himself had the upper hand..which is very rare for an undrafted 18yo btw..

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Biggest reason that he fell was his contract in the KHL, he’s going to play in the NHL sooner than players drafted above him. Lots of teams about to look dumb now.
Only 1 team about to look really dumb: ours (Montreal).

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I see Kharlamov watching Michkov.
Kharlamov? Well not sure I'd say that, Kharlamov was an AllTime Great Soviet/Russian player and Michkov is a youngster with great skill and potential...maybe has the potential to be a AllTime great

Only 1 team about to look really dumb: ours (Montreal).
Not sure Michkov would have signed in Monteal due to the high taxes in Quebec/Canada

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
Congrats Flyers fans! Looking forward to seeing Torts give him the Morgan Frost treatment while letting Deslauriers and Hathaway make snow angels on the ice every game until they're happy and content and ready to go home to mommy's freshly baked cookies.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Could this pave the way for a nikishin contract termination?
Carolina has a bunch of D-men that are UFA's so Nikishin moves right into the lineup without time in the AHL! Now if "Canes GMWaddell can pluck him outta there with some wink wink money of course he'll on his way if he isn't already

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
When Yakupov went to Edmonton he had a pretty good first season then he realized that he was in Hockey's version of the Arctic North or as they say in Russia...Siberia

No he won't
Michkov and Filatov are both Russian, Bedard and Patrick are both Canadian. Checks out

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kharlamov? Well not sure I'd say that, Kharlamov was an AllTime Great Soviet/Russian player and Michkov is a youngster with great skill and potential...maybe has the potential to be a AllTime great

Not sure Michkov would have signed in Monteal due to the high taxes in Quebec/Canada
A poster asked who Michkov plays like. I responded with Valeri Kharlamov. Watching Michkov I see a lot of similarities. Elite offensive skill and high compete. Drives play from anywhere on the ice. Electric with the puck. That was Kharlamov and is Michkov.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I love Michkov and I think there’s a world where he’s challenging Bedard as the most dynamic player of this draft, for sure.

But let’s calm down with the “oh everybody else looks so dumb hahaha” BS. Talk about off-season overreaction and hand-wringing. Everybody knew there was a very high likelihood that Michkov, his agent and his new NHL team were going to work an out for him well before his lengthy KHL contract ended. This isn’t some “wow I can’t believe this is happening you fools!!!” situation.

I’d say the Jackets and Ducks are just perfectly satisfied with their boss young franchise centers who showed you everything you wanted as 18 year-old NHL rookies last year. And quite frankly the Sharks have got to be excited about Smith who was just effervescent in the NCAA.

The top of this class was loaded. Super excited to see Michkov next season.

But some of this is a little much.

(Specifically talking habs but probably applies to more teams)

If everyone knew that it would likely work out then it looks even more dumb not less. So your point doesn’t make any sense.

If mtl seriously passed on him knowing it would probably work out for a way inferior player in reinbacher then that is extremely poor decision making. Especially when we agree that Michkov is closer to challenging bedard. It just doesn’t make sense

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Carolina has a bunch of D-men that are UFA's so Nikishin moves right into the lineup without time in the AHL! Now if "Canes GMWaddell can pluck him outta there with some wink wink money of course he'll on his way if he isn't already
I don’t think Nikishin is going to come over until his contract is concluded. It’s a bit different when you’re the captain of the army team compared to Michkov who was loaned out both times. Nikishin is kinda like a club legend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad