Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I still don't understand the obsession with EP40.

He's a great player for half a season. Every year it's the same thing. Why should the fans accept that?

Does nobody remember Patty Kane during the playoffs? Despite his size, he demanded the puck every time the game was on the line. We all dreaded him coming on the ice from 2008-2011. He was so determined to win the game wanted to be the guy to do it.

Mack has it. Crosby has it. McDingus has it. Marchand has it. Sedins had it. Shit, even Miller and Hughes have it.

Does anybody ever get that killer instinct or sheer determination from EP40? He's simply not that type of guy but he will be paid to be.

When your highest paid player looks like he got serious bad news every time he's on the ice you're setting your franchise up for a lot of let downs.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

He's a great player for half a season. Every year it's the same thing. Why should the fans accept that?

Does nobody remember Patty Kane during the playoffs? Despite his size, he demanded the puck every time the game was on the line. We all dreaded him coming on the ice from 2008-2011. He was so determined to win the game wanted to be the guy to do it.

Mack has it. Crosby has it. McDingus has it. Marchand has it. Sedins had it. Shit, even Miller and Hughes have it.

Does anybody ever get that killer instinct or sheer determination from EP40? He's simply not that type of guy but he will be paid to be.

When your highest paid player looks like he got serious bad news every time he's on the ice you're setting your franchise up for a lot of let downs.
Revisionist history

Sedins were definitely questioned about having a lack of killer instinct.

Petey’s one chance to play in the post season was fine. This pre-playoff freakout thing is bizarre. Let’s see him struggle and then complain.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Revisionist history

Petey’s one chance to play in the post season was fine. This pre-playoff freakout thing is bizarre. Let’s see him struggle and then complain.
This is no longer an incident. This is now a pattern with him.

You're happy with his play right now?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hughes is insanely marketable. Not necessarily for his personality, but for his playing style. He and Makar have transformed the puck moving defenceman narrative that you can't be less than 6' and be the total package. They are the answer to the question "what if a prime Patrick Kane was a defenceman?"

You can see a kid like Hutson has learned a thing or two from them.

Revisionist history

It was more than fine. Petey was dominant in that VGK series when nobody else could score.

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The thing is, the FO will. If he leaves, they'll see a need for that vet on the back end with loads of playoff experience, most likely.
Would rather go for tanev in that case. Right shot dman and a better defender.

If the Canucks manage to re-sign Zadorov, there's little room for another lefty

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Every player in the game disappears for stretches and even entire series.

When Pettersson is on, he's as valuable as Hughes. If we win a cup it will because he took over at least two series. It's impossible to trade him and win that trade unless that wrist is still chronic and he's ruined.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I mean he's a vet who's apparently valued in the room, the staff throws him out over the boards to PK 1st quite a bit so I think the coaching staff likes him and would want a similar player if they move on from him.
Playing Ian Cole on the right side has largely been an ugly experiment that I don't want to see repeated.

That being said, at least Cole has rings that might help with PO experience unlike Dillon.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008

Am I totally sideways? I thought Pettersson had a habit of turning it up a notch in the back half of the year, outside of this year.....

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I hope you're proven wrong. I don't have a strong feeling on which way the whole thing goes.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
If you don't know what you're looking for or watching, then sure.
That trade is silly but saying people don’t know what they’re watching when they claim Pettersson has been bad this year for extended stretches is also silly. His play against bigger, more aggressive teams like Vegas and LA has been particularly lacklustre, seems to go completely missing in those environments. Hughes also has a tougher time against that style of opponent but you can at least see he’s always engaged.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That trade is silly but saying people don’t know what they’re watching when they claim Pettersson has been bad this year for extended stretches is also silly. His play against bigger, more aggressive teams like Vegas and LA has been particularly lacklustre, seems to go completely missing in those environments. Hughes also has a tougher time against that style of opponent but you can at least see he’s always engaged.
Defensively, he's still been responsible. "Disappeared" to most people = no points. It's really not about what they're watching.

In this "bad stretch", there were multiple instances where a Petey forcecheck created a goal, but he was not credited with a point. Hoglander's goal against Vegas (a bigger, aggressive team that Petey is seemingly "vanishing" against) is an example. Petey does all the work to create that. I agree his play does wane at times, but the criticisms are unrelated to any actual critiques of his play. It's literally only about looking at the boxscore stats, as it usually is for most people.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hughes absolutely feasts against Vegas, Kings, and as of late, the Oilers.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He still put up numbers one would expect from a top 10 C in the game (despite a revolving door of linemates) and was a solid 200 foot player who was our most effective penalty killing forward. I think the contract situation was a massive distraction and I can't help but wonder if the way it eventually resolved (not suggesting it should have been handled differently by PA/JR) left a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad