Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
if myers takes a significant discount - something like a front ended $2m x 4 year contract ($3.5m, $2.25m, $1.25m, $1m), i'm fine to have him around for the next two years, with the clear understanding that he might not make the team out of camp as early as 2026 (in which case he'd be a good vet for abbotsford, or he can retire and not walk away from much). in either case, since he isn't 35 until next year, we're clear cap wise.

myers is a very good #4/5, and i'd bet he's still a good bottom pairing guy in a couple years. seems to be loved in the room. no issues with keeping him now that the guy who signed him as a top pairing 6x6 is gone and he can be re-allocated to an appropriate role

now if he's asking for a 4x4 (or more), see ya.

4 yrs for Myers is just insanity no matter how you want to slice it. Don't care if he wants 4×1 there are better options.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
With approx $25M in cap space next year and needing to add/promote 5 forwards, 5 D, and a backup goalie, how do you allocate the cap space given the possible asks of the UFAs/RFAs:

Hronek (8)
Joshua (4)
Zadorov (5)
Lindholm (7)
Myers (3)
Cole (2)
Blueger (2)
Lafferty (1.5)
Top 4 D-man (6)
Top 6 forward (6)
Sign a Cole replacement (3)
sign 3C (3.5)
#8 D man (1)
Backup Goalie (if DeSmith) (2)

Total: $51M

Reactions: theguardianII

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah, they aren't trading Jiricek because it makes no sense to trade a 20 year old right-shot defenceman that is tracking to be a stud. The only way he gets moved is for another comparable prospect or something like the Drysdale + 2nd for Gauthier trade.
How is he tracking like a stud? his adjustment to the pro game has been rocky at best and his ability to defend is highly questionable even at the AHL level. he was awful yesterday against the Panthers (and has not looked good since the recall). Still young enough to work through it, but he absolutely is not dominating play in the A in his draft+2 season, which Hronek most definitely did. It'll be an interesting summer for him/CBJ....I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
With approx $25M in cap space next year and needing to add/promote 5 forwards, 5 D, and a backup goalie, how do you allocate the cap space given the possible asks of the UFAs/RFAs:

Hronek (8)
Joshua (4)
Zadorov (5)
Lindholm (7)
Myers (3)
Cole (2)
Blueger (2)
Lafferty (1.5)
Top 4 D-man (6)
Top 6 forward (6)
sign 3C (3.5)
#8 D man (1)

eaeasese.png

I'd do something like this. Trade Mikheyev and Boeser in the offseason. Bring in Guentzel, Roslovic, Duhaime, Dillon, Roy and Ruhwedel. (With the exception of Roy, these are all players they've been rumoured to be interested in).

EDIT: Rejigged the budgets because I realized I gave Pod way too much.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Dillon, tanev, myers going to be nucks next yr.
With my example, I wonder if you could sign Tanev instead for 4 mil or so instead of Roy as a stopgap for Willander, and have about 10.6 to go after Reinhart as an even more impressive linemate than Guentzel for Pettersson.

I think the Canucks could put in a really attractive offer for him.

Point is, the Canucks can absolutely improve the team this offseason, but it's going to take some trades and likely assets moved with them (Mikheyev at least. Should be able to trade Boeser for value).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
4 yrs for Myers is just insanity no matter how you want to slice it. Don't care if he wants 4×1 there are better options.

i think he's getting ~$8m on the next contract, just depends on how you slice it. with him being <35, tacking on an extra year or two is a nice way to catch some savings in these next couple oel constrained years. i doubt he plays more than two years in any case.

Reactions: theguardianII

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
With my example, I wonder if you could sign Tanev instead for 4 mil or so instead of Roy as a stopgap for Willander, and have about 10.6 to go after Reinhart as an even more impressive linemate than Guentzel for Pettersson.

I think the Canucks could put in a really attractive offer for him.

Point is, the Canucks can absolutely improve the team this offseason, but it's going to take some trades and likely assets moved with them (Mikheyev at least. Should be able to trade Boeser for value).

None of this remotely realistic imo. Florida has tons of space, they'll have no issue re-signing Reinhart (and 10.6 for Reinhart is crazy). Roy isn't coming here. Roslovic is a weird target and ludicrously overpaid at 3.7, as is Duhaime. Also doubt the team finds a taker for Mikheyev - he won't be going anywhere for a while.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
i think he's getting ~$8m on the next contract, just depends on how you slice it. with him being <35, tacking on an extra year or two is a nice way to catch some savings in these next couple oel constrained years. i doubt he plays more than two years in any case.

He's not good enough to give this amount of term, regardless of savings in the latter years. He might regress really hard this off season now what? I guess I just don't see his play necessary to keep around when there will be a ton of options in free agency to fill Myers' role...for basically no term like 1 or 2 yr deals.

4 years come on dude let some other dinosaur GM make that mistake like we saw with Gudbranson. This is Tyler Myers we are talking about here.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
go after sam reinhart in the free agent market? depending on what other moves alvin does to get cap space. i.e trade boeser mikhevey etc

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
God bless Kevin Bieksa, the ultimate 'character Canuck' and one of the best HNIC color guys.

He made a compelling case for Quinn Hughes to not only win the Norris, but receive serious consideration for the Hart.

Won't happen of course. But if there's one guy who can appreciate what Hughes means to the Canucks, it's Bieksa. He knows how impossibly difficult it is for any d-man to wrack up 90-100 points in a season.

But he also appreciates that Hughes is doing it while carrying the mantle of team captain. And if there's anyone who knows about the burden of carrying the captaincy in this frenzied hockey market, it's Bieksa.

And Bieksa finished his remarks by asking the rhetorical question: "Where would the Canucks be without Hughes'?.....struggling just to get into the playoffs is my guess.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Wonder if Hakanpaa would be a good 3 pairing option. Has massive size, plays the PK too

Dillon-Hakanpaa would certainly be a hand full as a pairing.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
View attachment 850604

I'd do something like this. Trade Mikheyev and Boeser in the offseason. Bring in Guentzel, Roslovic, Duhaime, Dillon, Roy and Ruhwedel. (With the exception of Roy, these are all players they've been rumoured to be interested in).

EDIT: Rejigged the budgets because I realized I gave Pod way too much.
Only issue with this is that you have 16k in cap space but OEL buyout is going to cost the Canucks 2.34M next season. Keep Boeser and don't sign Guentzal would work then.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
God bless Kevin Bieksa, the ultimate 'character Canuck' and one of the best HNIC color guys.

He made a compelling case for Quinn Hughes to not only win the Norris, but receive serious consideration for the Hart.

Won't happen of course. But if there's one guy who can appreciate what Hughes means to the Canucks, it's Bieksa. He knows how impossibly difficult it is for any d-man to wrack up 90-100 points in a season.

But he also appreciates that Hughes is doing it while carrying the mantle of team captain. And if there's anyone who knows about the burden of carrying the captaincy in this frenzied hockey market, it's Bieksa.

And Bieksa finished his remarks by asking the rhetorical question: "Where would the Canucks be without Hughes'?.....struggling just to get into the playoffs is my guess.
He's not wrong. In terms of importance to the team, he's on the same level as Mackinnon, Kucherov, McDavid and Matthews. I don't think there has been a single player in the history of the franchise who has meant more to the team than Hughes has this year.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't think we even make the playoffs at all without Hughes.

He's not wrong. In terms of importance to the team, he's on the same level as Mackinnon, Kucherov, McDavid and Matthews. I don't think there has been a single player in the history of the franchise who has meant more to the team than Hughes has this year.

Luongo in 2007. That team had absolutely no business making the 2nd round. They were a bottom 8 team.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Hronek (8)
Joshua (4)
Zadorov (5)
Lindholm (7)
Myers (3)
Cole (2)
Blueger (2)
Lafferty (1.5)
Top 4 D-man (6)
Top 6 forward (6)
sign 3C (3.5)
#8 D man (1)
Backup Goalie (if DeSmith) (2) Silvos - 1

Hronek (8)
Joshua (4) 3, one year and 30 pts don't make a five fold increase
Zadorov (5) 6X6, that would take him to age 34/35
Lindholm (7) He could go back to the Flames but he hasn't shown he can drive a line here. His best year was playing with two 100 pt players.
Myers (3)X3 even if he regresses he could be wanted as a veteran presence, large RHD for playoffs and 3 mil at the TDL is peanuts
Cole (2) Cole was well known before he signed, if he wanted more years he would have got them. This year is a revival for him to sign where his family lives, wherever that is, it's not Vancouver.
Blueger (2) Look to the farm
Lafferty (1.5)
Top 4 D-man (6) With Hronek and Cole gone the team should have 10 mil for defence and promote Juulssen to take Cole spot
Top 6 forward (6)
sign 3C (3.5)
#8 D man (1)

And you forgot the OEL buyout goes UP to 2.35 mil
Myers has been so restricted in what he was asked to do he is starting now to show what he can do. He is still fast, last covid tournament he was the teams best defenceman, he is stepping it up now. Large players last longer, if the hands start turning to stone then the use them other ways ;) ;). Even if he slows a bit that reach and size still helps on defence.

Something to think about, all the FA's on the team are increasing their value to some other team, some will have their pick of team's to go to. A good likelihood that Zadorov will get a healthy offer and Myers as well. Utah could offer the both of them 7 for Zadorov and 4 to Myers without breaking a sweat. That's a lot of this years defence. Even now the Canucks could make that same offer because that is very close to what they pay them now, so no increase. Cole will be 36 and if he is replaced with Juulsen that is a 2 mil saving.

If they trade Hronek say to Utah they could get back Crouse, Kesselring and pick(s) and save the OEL increase in a difference between 8 million and actual cap hits for those two guys 4.3 for Crouse and 1.5 for Kesserling. (Kesslerling may be taking a chance but he is a large RHD with at least some experience. And if Willander is the real deal then he should make the team, but these moves do make it harder.

IMO between Columbus wanting to make a big hit within their market and the new UTAH team there could a lot of activity leading up to and at the draft and a week or two after. I would guess seismic could be and adjective used. I just hope Vancouver doesn't get left behind.
As good as Rutherford and Allvin have been so far, only the Boeser contract being questionable, this recent events will change any plans they may have had, the market has just exploded.

Reactions: mathonwy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Wonder if Hakanpaa would be a good 3 pairing option. Has massive size, plays the PK too

Dillon-Hakanpaa would certainly be a hand full as a pairing.
No. He's getting healthy scratched by the Stars now.

He just has too little mobility and puck-moving to get by at this point. A Dillon-Hakanpaa pair would hit everything in their own zone, but never leave it.

Dhaliwal said as much; there's mutual interest. I have no problem with him fulfilling the Cole-role on the 3rd pair.
Absolutely. Perfect fit if he comes at the same AAV as Cole.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
No. He's getting healthy scratched by the Stars now.

He just has too little mobility and puck-moving to get by at this point. A Dillon-Hakanpaa pair would hit everything in their own zone, but never leave it.

Absolutely. Perfect fit if he comes at the same AAV as Cole.
Size and physicality is great but some forget that being able to play hockey is still important 😅

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes same.....Dillon instead of term and a higher AAV for Zadorov makes sense

Haakanpaa will want too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad