TSN: Canucks looking to Trade Up in Draft

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
EXACTLY - getr done already JB.............ffs I think if you get this BS done no matter how small will be helpful for the long run.

A child may want to get it done early, but good things come to those who wait.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well Benning already mentioned that he has no intention of trading Tanev, and RD doesnt seem to be Dallas greatest need. So lets put that to rest for now.

But there are signs that Benning has learned to be a bit tricky. And he did say "unless it made sense" when talking about Tanev.

EXACTLY - getr done already JB.............ffs I think if you get this BS done no matter how small will be helpful for the long run.

Do you really want the Canucks to move from 5 to 3? I mean I would like to see that just because it secures the player that the Canucks really want to draft, but at what price? Columbus' 2nd is the max I would go and even then I don't mind not doing this deal. With Benning's history of agreeing to swap picks, I would hate swapping the 33rd with Dallas' 2nd + giving up Columbus' 2nd unless Patrick or Hischier is available and the Canucks are high on them. Otherwise, in this draft, I'm not sure it's worth it.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
If you were Jim Benning, what would be preferable for a team in the Canucks position?....trading Tanev to Dallas for the third pick and a bad contract; or trading Tanev to Tampa Bay and potentially bringing a guy like Drouin to VanCity?

Drouin ainec for me. I think id only have to think about it if it was Drouin vs 1st ovr and even then that would only be because hischier is a center and his peak will likely be more in line with our next core.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd be thinking long and hard about something along the lines of Tanev + 33 + 55 for 3 + 29 + 39.

3 - Heiskanen
5 - Glass/Pettersson (Mittelstadt/Vilardi wouldn't bother me either)
29 - Thomas/Robertson/Lind/Salo/Gadjovich/JAD
39 - Oettinger/Joseph/Jokiharju/Lodnia/Boqvist/Ratcliffe

I'm not sure if Nill would bite on that though. I know this is a win for us in terms of sheer value but we have no reason to trade Tanev for anything short of an overpayment. I could kinda understand the Hansen trade because he's older and the expansion draft was coming up, but I can't justify trading Tanev for a lackluster return. He's still young, efficient and locked up on a great contract. He's not good enough to prevent us from bottoming out either.

Last edited:

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I'd be thinking long and hard about something along the lines of Tanev + 33 + 55 for 3 + 29 + 39.

3 - Heiskanen
5 - Glass/Pettersson (Mittelstadt/Vilardi wouldn't bother me either)
29 - Thomas/Robertson/Lind/Salo/Gadjovich/JAD
39 - Oettinger/Joseph/Jokiharju/Lodnia/Boqvist/Ratcliffe

I'm not sure if Nill would bite on that though. I know this is a win for us in terms of sheer value but we have no reason to trade Tanev for anything short of an overpayment. I could kinda understand the Hansen trade because he's older and the expansion draft was coming up, but I can't justify trading Tanev for a lackluster return. He's still young, efficient and locked up on a great contract. He's not good enough to prevent us from bottoming out either.

If we could walk out of the draft with Heiskanen, Vilardi, Thomas and Robertson I would be hyped

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't get the love-in with Heiskanen. He's good, but he's not great. I would much rather take a chance at a defenseman who could be great:

3- Vilardi
5- Makar
29- Thomas/JAD
39- Robertson/Joseph/Lind

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't get the love-in with Heiskanen. He's good, but he's not great. I would much rather take a chance at a defenseman who could be great:

3- Vilardi
5- Makar
29- Thomas/JAD
39- Robertson/Joseph/Lind

You can cross Vilardi off of that list. According to Canucks Army, the Canucks brass is not interested in him, they want to draft a better skater with their 1st round pick

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can cross Vilardi off of that list. According to Canucks Army, the Canucks brass is not interested in him, they want to draft a better skater with their 1st round pick

If Jimbo wants to move up in the draft and is willing to trade Tanev in order to do it, then he must be fixated on somebody's he's convinced won't be around when they draft at #5....so who could that be?...Mittelstadt?...Vilardi? or a d-man?......my best guess is that it's Mittelstadt.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
If Jimbo wants to move up in the draft and is willing to trade Tanev in order to do it, then he must be fixated on somebody's he's convinced won't be around when they draft at #5....so who could that be?...Mittelstadt?...Vilardi? or a d-man?......my best guess is that it's Mittelstadt.

I would hope that Benning would not trade Tanev just to move up 2 spots...I have a hunch that Mittelstadt could be there at 5 (especially with the combine fitness results)..I would take him at 5.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I would hope that Benning would not trade Tanev just to move up 2 spots...I have a hunch that Mittelstadt could be there at 5 (especially with the combine fitness results)..I would take him at 5.

I think the strategy is "acquiring" the #3 pick from the Stars for Tanev and a bad goalie contract, as opposed to just moving up....that would give the Canucks the third and fifth picks.....so hypothetically would they go for two centres, Vilardi and Mittelstadt?....or one of the two centres at #3 and the best d-man at #5?

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I think the strategy is "acquiring" the #3 pick from the Stars for Tanev and a bad goalie contract, as opposed to just moving up....that would give the Canucks the third and fifth picks.....so hypothetically would they go for two centres, Vilardi and Mittelstadt?....or one of the two centres at #3 and the best d-man at #5?

That sounds somewhat reasonable. I heard some rumours about trading Tanev and the 5th for the 3rd pick....which would be totally nonsensical.....but, with Dim Jim trading, well it scares me!!

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
If Vancouver got 3oa for Tanev would that pick plus 33 and sj's 4th be tempting for the Flyers to drop back a spot and take Vilardi instead?

Would be nice to walk away with Hischier and a homerun pick at 5 like Makar or Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad