TSN: Canucks looking to Trade Up in Draft

Gunner Stahl

Feb 9, 2011
HA! Benning would likely move up to #3 only to end up picking a player he could of traded down to pick like Liljegren

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Watch Benning trade up to 3 and take a guy he could have gotten at 5 anyway.

If he moves into the top 2 I'll be happy, depending on what's given up.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
"We'll look into what it takes to move up, but we're happy picking where we are".

Jesus wept it's a slow news time in hockey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This happens every year. It's manufactured hype from the media with the NHL's backing to try and drive interest in the draft.

Top picks are never moved on the eve of the draft or draft day. When was the last time a top-5 pick was traded in June? 2002?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This happens every year. It's manufactured hype from the media with the NHL's backing to try and drive interest in the draft.

Top picks are never moved on the eve of the draft or draft day. When was the last time a top-5 pick was traded in June? 2002?

2008. NYI traded down from 5. The Leafs moved up to 5 to pick Luke Schenn.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
2008. NYI traded down from 5. The Leafs moved up to 5 to pick Luke Schenn.

Ah, yup.

So it's been 9 years, and has happened once in the last 15.

But get ready for 400 articles in the next 3 weeks about everyone and their dog trying to move up and ALL OF THE TOP 5 PICKS ARE AVAILABLE. Same **** as usual.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Didn't Benning say basically the same thing, verbatim, before last year's draft? Something about "doing due diligence" yada yada yada.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ah, yup.

So it's been 9 years, and has happened once in the last 15.

But get ready for 400 articles in the next 3 weeks about everyone and their dog trying to move up and ALL OF THE TOP 5 PICKS ARE AVAILABLE. Same **** as usual.

Yup. And when you look at the top 4 that's even longer (2004).

It could happen, but it's highly unlikely. If I'm New Jersey, who definitely needs a top prospect like this, I don't even consider moving number 1. And why would Philly consider it? They're a team that's on the cusp of making the playoffs and primed to add the 2nd best player in the draft. A cheap ELC who they can ease into the lineup, but one who they can also use to help with their playoff push. Would make no sense for them to move that pick. And once you get to Dallas there's really not much separating 3 from 5.

I just don't see a deal happening. Maybe if Colorado ended up at number 1 or 2 they might consider moving down to something like 3 if they really felt they needed to draft a defenseman, but even that would be a longshot.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I'm not sure who this "playmaking center" he's got his eye on but I'd imagine it would be Cody Glass, who had 62 assists last season. If Dallas is targeting a player they think they can get at 5 then it makes sense to swap picks with the Canucks and maybe get them to take back Niemi or Lehtonen in exchange. This would be a smart move so I don't think Benning is capable of it.

On the other hand, I worry Benning could be targeting Nolan Patrick and offering up the 5th + next year's 1st in some kind of ridiculous package.

Rather they just don't do anything and take Mittelstadt at 5.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He was asked the question and was pretty much luke warm on the answer...something like "yeah, we'll look at it".
What is he supposed to say, "No, not a chance, we're sticking with the 5th pick"? Of course they're going to look at it. It would be foolish not to see what it would take. It only takes four quick conversations to see if it's even a possibility.

Anyway, the best news (if it's news - I haven't been listening that closely recently) is that he stated that Markstrom is the #1 even if they re-sign Miller.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He was asked the question and was pretty much luke warm on the answer...something like "yeah, we'll look at it".
What is he supposed to say, "No, not a chance, we're sticking with the 5th pick"? Of course they're going to look at it. It would be foolish not to see what it would take. It only takes four quick conversations to see if it's even a possibility.

Anyway, the best news (if it's news - I haven't been listening that closely recently) is that he stated that Markstrom is the #1 even if they re-sign Miller.

You're working on old information. He clarified that comment today by saying that he will eventually be the number one. Not necessarily this season.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You're working on old information. He clarified that comment today by saying that he will eventually be the number one. Not necessarily this season.

Yeah, thought it might be old.

"Jacob Markstrom's going to be our #1 goalie going forward but we feel like Ryan is, you know, he had a real good year last year and he can help Jacob in that transition to being the #1 guy". JB

Still a little vague. "Going forward" could be interpreted as "from this point forward" but I wouldn't be surprised if JB really means "at some point in the future".

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
yeah, thought it might be old.

"jacob markstrom's going to be our #1 goalie going forward but we feel like ryan is, you know, he had a real good year last year and he can help jacob in that transition to being the #1 guy". Jb

still a little vague. "going forward" could be interpreted as "from this point forward" but i wouldn't be surprised if jb really means "at some point in the future".

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
From 5th to 3rd would hardly be an upgrade and it's not worth paying a price to sidegrade. I'd rather add picks. Somebody convince Philly that they need Tanev really bad and right now.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So move up to 2 to draft Liljegren or Rasmussen??? O god why do we still have Benning/Linden?? :cry:

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Nothing will happen and here's why:

1. NJD - Team is in desperate need of elite/high-end prospects and the first overall guarantees that. Their prospect crop is pretty embarrassing after years of mediocrity. I don't see them moving the first overall.

2. Philly - The team was gifted a high-end prospect. If they need to upgrade on anything it is probably on wing, which we don't have. They need a top 6 forward and their D is stacked. I don't think Tanev + 5th OA makes sense for them. Giroux is 29 years old and hopefully with one of Patrick/Hischier that can be a serviceable replacement. There's a chance they just get something in the offseason too through the UFA route.

3. Dallas - The closest to moving a pick above us. The move they've made with the acquisition of Bishop shows signs of winning now. In addition, they have Spezza who is up there in age. They're in desperate need of shoring up their D. The only problem is that is for the LD. On the RD their D is fine or Tanev would be a great fit. Edler is not moving. Hutton + 5th probably doesn't get it done and at that cost, I don't think it's worth the price tag. Finally, as I mentioned Spezza is up there in age and I could see them drafting Vilardi as a replacement. I could see them going after Alzner during the offseason and not having to give up any assets other than cap space to solidify their team.

4. Avs - I could see something with them but at this point is there a big enough difference to move up one spot? And what do we have to give up to do that?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Good Lord, the guy is 27 years old how many more years of mentorship does he need.

When he's 37 he'll be battling a 47 year old Miller for the starter's job.

3. Dallas - The closest to moving a pick above us. The move they've made with the acquisition of Bishop shows signs of winning now. In addition, they have Spezza who is up there in age. They're in desperate need of shoring up their D. The only problem is that is for the LD. On the RD their D is fine or Tanev would be a great fit. Edler is not moving. Hutton + 5th probably doesn't get it done and at that cost, I don't think it's worth the price tag. Finally, as I mentioned Spezza is up there in age and I could see them drafting Vilardi as a replacement. I could see them going after Alzner during the offseason and not having to give up any assets other than cap space to solidify their team.

That's the one team I could see moving their pick, and why even bother "moving up" to 3rd overall? It's nonsensical, unless you think one of Patrick/Hischier will drop (they won't). And Dallas would just pick them if they did.

Trade for the 3rd in addition to the 5th? Otherwise, meh. Lot of value lost to nudge up slightly in what is essentially a big grab bag of prospects all within a stone's throw of one another potential wise.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

This. This also not a great year to move up anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad