Dreger: Canucks Looking to TRADE to fix D

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
With the amount of speculation both on here and from the media, you already know that Marino will never be a Canuck or Weegar for that matter.

I feel very confident that management will balance this team out a bit throughout the summer. Like all the players we have brought in so far.

I am surprised there hasn't been more talk about Connor Murphy in Chicago. I understand Chicago are looking for futures and I also believe the Canucks could offer some intriguing pieces for him. Hoglander is pretty much squeezed out at this point - Hoglander + Cap dump for Murphy?
2022-04-30Missed the last 22 regular season games (concussion).
2022-03-19Concussion, injured reserve.
2022-03-14Concussion, day-to-day.
2021-12-09Missed 3 games (concussion).
2021-12-03Concussion, day-to-day.

Concerning, also averaged 55-ish games past 4 seasons, so staying healthy as a whole is concerning outside of the ominous concussion tendency that could be starting.

Reactions: DeltaSwede

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If you want to fix the D, trade OEL right now.

OEL was the Canucks second best D this past year, he was downright good with Myers, and with guys like Gudbranson getting 4x4+, his contract isn't as bad looking as it once was.

Besides, the Canucks do not have the futures to package bad contracts and send them away and if the Canucks have to eat 1.5m to move him, getting a replacement #3 PMD will equal basically no cap savings because he'll still demand 5m but the Canucks will have 1.5-2.5m of dead cap held.

Reactions: Cogburn

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
They signed 4 players, got boeser to a good contract done, and won Kuzmenko sweepstakes.
It's not like they have done nothing lol
I’d temper the enthusiasm over the Boeser deal. It’s far from a good contract. They did manage to successfully convert it from absolute disaster to mildly bad, so I do give’m that.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Michael Russo mentioned Guerin is tentativelynshopping Dumba.

Any interest there?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
OEL + Poolman for EK 2M retained sure
Swap OEL with Myers and I'd consider it.
In what way will taking an 11.5 million dollar, long term contract for a redundant skill set fix our D? Even if he came free, Karlsson wouldn't be worth it at half his salary given the other assets we'd be forced to move.

Redundant: Not or no longer needed or useful, superfluous.

Hughes is better than Karlsson, relegating Karlsson to PP2 at best, and OEL, Myers, Rathbone and even guys like Hunt (half of Karlsson's output last year) can provide some of Karlsson's offence, when they aren't stuck plugging holes on our depth chart for anyone with shutdown ability.

Karlsson can skate well, which is a big plus, is Swedish, which is also, somehow, a big plus, and is right handed. His specialties outside of these areas are skills we have in our teams make up already, which are often times already underused because of our lack of skills in other areas. That group you've mentioned in Colorado isn't expressly or solely offensively minded, and most of them are averaging better than 54 games a season being played too.

So yes, adding another powerplay quarterback that specializes in moving the puck to a team that has better and worse options available, and are in fact looking to move one or two of these types of players for a different skill set, would be a redundancy.

If you were willing to trade a half retained Karlsson for Myers or OEL, or some combination of Poolman, Pearson and/or Dickinson, then we definitely come out ahead. The cost for retaining 5.75 million for the next 5 years wouldn't be worth it to us though, let alone the cost for the player as an on ice asset.
I think the Sharks would be fine retaining a couple mil on Karlsson but it'd probably be something like Myers, Poolman, Dickinson, and a draft pick. This also assumes that Karlsson wants to go to Vancouver. Possible but not certain.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Swap OEL with Myers and I'd consider it.

I think the Sharks would be fine retaining a couple mil on Karlsson but it'd probably be something like Myers, Poolman, Dickinson, and a draft pick. This also assumes that Karlsson wants to go to Vancouver. Possible but not certain.
Swap OEL for Myers and Canucks no longer consider it. We dont need 2 past their prime #3-4D making a combined 15M + for an eternity.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If I'm Vancouver, maybe I try and move Myers out and aim at someone defensive minded like Adam Larsson?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Swap OEL for Myers and Canucks no longer consider it. We dont need 2 past their prime #3-4D making a combined 15M + for an eternity.
That's fine if the fit isn't there. The Sharks aren't in any hurry to move Karlsson until he's ready to go. OEL just has no spot here as the Sharks have a plethora of LHD's between Ferraro, Vlasic, Nutivaara, Simek, Knyzhov, Megna, and Hatakka. OEL is certainly better than most of them maybe all of them but trading Karlsson for OEL only makes sense if it's a straight swap with no retention.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
That's fine if the fit isn't there. The Sharks aren't in any hurry to move Karlsson until he's ready to go. OEL just has no spot here as the Sharks have a plethora of LHD's between Ferraro, Vlasic, Nutivaara, Simek, Knyzhov, Megna, and Hatakka. OEL is certainly better than most of them maybe all of them but trading Karlsson for OEL only makes sense if it's a straight swap with no retention.
OEL can play the right side, but honestly we are a worse team trading him for Karlsson IMO. OEL played the shut down role from the 2nd line very well last season, and had chemistry with Myers. I think trading a forward for a defenseman with no net get makes the most sense for us as we can afford to lose a top 9 forward right now to improve that position. We have some young guys that can be forced into that role and not look lost if they have one of Miller or Horvat centering them.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Fair and obviously its the same for the Canucks. We dont have an OEL replacement for our 2nd pairing LHD so we dont need to move him but if we could move him for a RHD or to free up cap for a RHD it would make sense. We have Hughes above OEL and Dermott/Rathbone/Burroughs behind him. At RHD we have Myers/Schenn/Poolman. We would be better off to shift Dermott to 2nd pair while moving Schenn/Poolman down to 3rd pairng.

We cant however do so taking on more commitement and cap. We would be better off running OEL on his offside and pairing him with Hughes.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Fair and obviously its the same for the Canucks. We dont have an OEL replacement for our 2nd pairing LHD so we dont need to move him but if we could move him for a RHD or to free up cap for a RHD it would make sense. We have Hughes above OEL and Dermott/Rathbone/Burroughs behind him. At RHD we have Myers/Schenn/Poolman. We would be better off to shift Dermott to 2nd pair while moving Schenn/Poolman down to 3rd pairng.

We cant however do so taking on more commitement and cap. We would be better off running OEL on his offside and pairing him with Hughes.
What I wonder about our cap situation, is if Gudbranson gets 4x4 on the open market, does Poolman at 2.5 have value anywhere? I don't really think he is any worse than Gudbranson. other than not being as big and physical, but he skates better.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
What I wonder about our cap situation, is if Gudbranson gets 4x4 on the open market, does Poolman at 2.5 have value anywhere? I don't really think he is any worse than Gudbranson. other than not being as big and physical, but he skates better.
I think if he didnt have injury concerns a team may have for future considerations. It would be like signing him to a 3 year 2.5M deal which IMO, is market value this off-season for a guy like him. Only issue is who knows if he's actually healthy enough to play. i doubt any team trades for him at least til next off-season. He needs to get back on the ice and play 10-20 games without post concussion syndrome before any team even looks his way.

The other issue is this management group loves the player too. He fits their prototypical D traits. Can skate pretty well and has size to him. The Pens were built on d-men with size that could skate and retrieve pucks and chip them out for their forwards to chase down. This is Tucker Poolman to a T. I don't think they would be keen on moving him

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Michael Russo mentioned Guerin is tentativelynshopping Dumba.

Any interest there?
Canucks would obviously be interested, but I don't see the fit. Canucks aren't true buyers - they have some valuable assets at forward that they would look to trade as the main value for a defenceman coming back. I can't see Garland, Boeser, Miller, etc... making sense as the main piece returning from a Minnesota perspective.

No value mainly due to his migraine issues.

I think Myers definitely has value though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad