Dreger: Canucks Looking to TRADE to fix D

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Why aren't we targeting Carlo here? What would it take to get him? Saw a Bruins fan propose Carlo for Horvat - that won't happen but anything else Miller, Garland, Hoglander, OEL are all available.

Imo he makes a lot more sense as a D partner for Hughes than some of the other options out there.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Canucks would obviously be interested, but I don't see the fit. Canucks aren't true buyers - they have some valuable assets at forward that they would look to trade as the main value for a defenceman coming back. I can't see Garland, Boeser, Miller, etc... making sense as the main piece returning from a Minnesota perspective.

No value mainly due to his migraine issues.

I think Myers definitely has value though.
Myers has more value to us though. 1m overpayed, but if we trade him we will be spending 6m+ to get someone equivalent, or spending more assets that we give to get someone cheaper and/or better.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Swap OEL with Myers and I'd consider it.

I think the Sharks would be fine retaining a couple mil on Karlsson but it'd probably be something like Myers, Poolman, Dickinson, and a draft pick. This also assumes that Karlsson wants to go to Vancouver. Possible but not certain.
That just seems like a redux of the Ekman-Larsson trade, but that's just me.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
That’s fair. I can tell you’re an objective and impartial party.
Here are the top 15 RW for points since 2017/2018 (Boeser's first full season)

1657903913741.png

Here's points/game:
1657904020628.png

Please explain again how he is overpaid?
Make sure it's objective and impartial.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Garland for Dumba or Marino makes too much sense.
Dumba makes no sense IMO. UFA at years end and nees an extension. Marino is better suited and has term with a good cap hit. Garland for Marino prob makes the most sense, but if we can't re-sign Miller. Miller for Marino+1st+Poulin would be the next best option.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Dumba makes no sense IMO. UFA at years end and nees an extension. Marino is better suited and has term with a good cap hit. Garland for Marino prob makes the most sense, but if we can't re-sign Miller. Miller for Marino+1st+Poulin would be the next best option.
Miller needs to fetch more than that

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Why aren't we targeting Carlo here? What would it take to get him? Saw a Bruins fan propose Carlo for Horvat - that won't happen but anything else Miller, Garland, Hoglander, OEL are all available.

Imo he makes a lot more sense as a D partner for Hughes than some of the other options out there.
He’s the perfect player imo.

He shined with Krug. Struggled without him. He was at his best playing with an undersized highly mobile puck mover.

Right age. Right contract. Good trading partners with Boston. I don’t know why we’re not on it.
I wonder if Horvat for Dumba+ would work
If that + is Lambos or a 1st, sure.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
He’s the perfect player imo.

He shined with Krug. Struggled without him. He was at his best playing with an undersized highly mobile puck mover.

Right age. Right contract. Good trading partners with Boston. I don’t know why we’re not on it.

If that + is Lambos or a 1st, sure.

Yeah I agree completely.........with reports that he's available potentially as well I really don't get why we haven't been all over this.

I would do Garland and a + if that's what it took. Garland and a 2nd even. Finding a long term partner for Hughes has gotta be near the top of our priority list.

Reactions: EverTheCynic

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Severson plus
One of :
Holtz plus another prospect / pick
or 2023 top 5 protected 1st
Plus :
Foote or Ty Smith or Boqvist

For
Miller
How is Seversons defensive game overall? Does it look bad simply because he is on a bad team?
If he is solid defensively(though doesnt seem very physical) I could see something around

Severson, Holtz, Boqvist working, depending on what Boqvist might want salary wise. Maybe we send back Poolman or Pearson to make cap work.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

B's have zero interest in Miller, mostly because of the cap, but so that's not happening.
Less than zero interest in OEL. Makes no sense at all.

The only one that makes ANY sense is Garland and I just don't think that is even likely. I'm not a huge Carlo fan, but they really don't have any other options and moving him for a wing is pretty counterproductive.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Swap OEL with Myers and I'd consider it.

I think the Sharks would be fine retaining a couple mil on Karlsson but it'd probably be something like Myers, Poolman, Dickinson, and a draft pick. This also assumes that Karlsson wants to go to Vancouver. Possible but not certain.
No real point on the deal from Vancouvers POV unless OEL is going back. That probably kills it from SJs perspective though, which is understandable.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
B's have zero interest in Miller, mostly because of the cap, but so that's not happening.
Less than zero interest in OEL. Makes no sense at all.

The only one that makes ANY sense is Garland and I just don't think that is even likely. I'm not a huge Carlo fan, but they really don't have any other options and moving him for a wing is pretty counterproductive.
What are the B's needs then if they don't need a #1c or a #2RW?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What are the B's needs then if they don't need a #1c or a #2RW?
IF (and it looks likely) Bergeron and Krejci are returning, you tell me how adding Miller's salary works.

Could they use a #2RW? Sure.
If they dealt Carlo for Garland, guess what they need more....

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
IF (and it looks likely) Bergeron and Krejci are returning, you tell me how adding Miller's salary works.

Could they use a #2RW? Sure.
If they dealt Carlo for Garland, guess what they need more....
Having a 6m 3rd pairing doesn't seem like the best idea either. I honestly think you guys need a rebuild more than anything now. Or at least retool to a younger team. Pasta for futures, Carlo for futures, maybe a few deadline deals.
If Canucks could trade Myers for futures and then add to those to make up Carlo, I wonder what it would take. Then do something around Garland for Marino. Would be pricey, but there was recently a market for Myers out there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad