Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Jets Tuesday 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’ve seen Appleton on pk more than I’ve seen 57

Yeah lately it is Copp-Lowry, Shore-Appleton, then Connor-Wheeler. But Bourque would probably play in that top 4 rotation if one of the 4 went to the box. He isn't bad on the PK, just not dangerous on the counterattack. Not sure that is justification for getting in over Harkins. Hopefully the 4th line makes a positive impact.

I would say that Hughes-Tanev vs. Morrissey-Pionk should be to our advantage on paper. Kulikov-Sbisa is an unknown. Hopefully communicate well. This is an opportunity for Niku to have a breakout game.

We really need this one. Get the monkey off the back, and stay in the chase.

Reactions: Jets 31

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Yep, the days of Plain Jane GDT's are over. :nod:
upload_2020-1-13_21-22-14.gif

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Copper is movin' on up...
JoMo and Peeeyonk paired up...
Sami stays with Potato...

Vancouver is a good young team. Should be a fast game. Really need 2 points to stay in the hunt.

Lets hope Morrissey-Pionk get 30 mins of ice and Copper finds his hands on the second line.

REALLY wanted to see Harkins in for Bourque. So much faster and much more potential. Is Harkins game that much less "heavy" than Bourque? Please explain coach...

GJG!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Vancouver is a good young team. Should be a fast game. Really need 2 points to stay in the hunt.

Lets hope Morrissey-Pionk get 30 mins of ice and Copper finds his hands on the second line.

REALLY wanted to see Harkins in for Bourque. So much faster and much more potential. Is Harkins game that much less "heavy" than Bourque? Please explain coach...

GJG!

Jets are a good young team also :)

Go Jets Go

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Curious decision. Bourque probably gets in as #5 in the PK rotation at forward. I can see why he trusts Bourque, his stick position defensively is one of the best on the team. Harkins showed he can play. Agreed that the press box isn't how you transition to becoming a pro. Frankly I wish he would promote Appleton up with Lowry, Put Roslovic on the other wing as the two have chemistry. Bump Perreault down with the other frenchy. Or run Perreault-Roslovic-Apples, and run Harkins/Bourque-Lowry-Shore. Maurice has to try to generate some chemistry out of the bottom lines.

Well Bourque isn't even getting any PK time lately and isn't being trusted to play as much as Harkins has been lately. I really don't see the logic in keeping him in the lineup right now especially if he isn't being used on the PK. Perhaps he feels the old vet will help stabilize the bench while the team is going through a down period.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Well Bourque isn't even getting any PK time lately and isn't being trusted to play as much as Harkins has been lately. I really don't see the logic in keeping him in the lineup right now especially if he isn't being used on the PK. Perhaps he feels the old vet will help stabilize the bench while the team is going through a down period.

Seems plausable as to why Bourque is in.
To me Maurice really over values a player like Bourque. The guy is only 29 and was in the 2009 draft. He plays likes he's 39 and washed up. I recall when Maurice's 4th liners had to PK. I guess he has changed his coaching philosophy.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I feel like he'd stabilize the bench best by sitting on or just above it, in the PB.

I agree that is likely PoMo's thinking -- that or added insurance against the ol' "heavy game" -- but Harkins brings speed, skill and an increasingly strong two-way game that has not looked out of place yet, while Borque brings very little and noticeably slows any line he plays on. Another shrug move, but our 4th line is as always a relief line with the job of hopefully not letting in goals, so doubt it will make much difference, except to ensure that Harkins misses yet another game while he learns from above.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Harkins getting the Niku treatment, and he even played better. What does a professional coach of almost 20 years see in Bourque? I don’t care if it’s the 4th line and how little impact people want to say it has, it’s a waste of a roster spot and lazy coaching.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Harkins getting the Niku treatment, and he even played better. What does a professional coach of almost 20 years see in Bourque? I don’t care if it’s the 4th line and how little impact people want to say it has, it’s a waste of a roster spot and lazy coaching.

Maybe Scheifele wants him in. Everybody thought Wheeler was coaching the team, but in an interview a while ago Scheifele kept talking about how "I'm" training Laine to play the way "I" want on the way to becoming the kind of winger "I need." That would be consistent with Maurice's lazy coaching, which he has actually admitted to in the past by saying the vets don't need coaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Scheifele wants him in. Everybody thought Wheeler was coaching the team, but in an interview a while ago Scheifele kept talking about how "I'm" training Laine to play the way "I" want on the way to becoming the kind of winger "I need." That would be consistent with Maurice's lazy coaching, which he has actually admitted to in the past by saying the vets don't need coaching.
He's just staying friends with the vets and collecting his paychecks. It must be nice to have players who do the coaching for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
He's just staying friends with the vets and collecting his paychecks. It must be nice to have players who do the coaching for you.

The path of least resistance to the path of most income. All the hard work was done when he pulled the wool over Chevy's eyes, then seven years of Easy Street.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad