Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Jacob Truscott (5th Round, 144th Overall) (University of Michigan)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Averaging 22:05 TOI including 3:32 PP and 3:28 PK.

+9, 61CF%, 72% of all puck battles won, and averages 8 takeaways a game.

To say he's been good would be a COMPLETE understatement. 100% someone we will want to try and sign to a contract after his final game this season.

Keep in mind he's playing for an absolute juggernaut that is averaging 5-6 goals/game.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Keep in mind he's playing for an absolute juggernaut that is averaging 5-6 goals/game.
Yeah, but then you'd have to concede that he's been an important part of said juggernaut. I'm with you in that he'll have to demonstrate some chops at the AHL level before any real optimism is warranted. But better this than being supplanted by other talented Michigan players.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Averaging 22:05 TOI including 3:32 PP and 3:28 PK.

+9, 61CF%, 72% of all puck battles won, and averages 8 takeaways a game.

To say he's been good would be a COMPLETE understatement. 100% someone we will want to try and sign to a contract after his final game this season.
Does our constant pursuit of the playoffs make it harder to offer high end college guys a few games in the NHL after they sign? Seemed like last year we might have missed out on offering Mcdonnough that opportunity.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does our constant pursuit of the playoffs make it harder to offer high end college guys a few games in the NHL after they sign? Seemed like last year we might have missed out on offering Mcdonnough that opportunity.
Getting the games at the end of the year just burns a year of their elc. McDonaugh would be in the A this season not the NHL.

Drew Helleson signed and played with anaheim last season and is in the A this year.

Kids IMO need to think big picture. What gets you to be a consistent nhler? With the Canucks dismal record at player development why would you opt to leave a good ncaa program when you still have eligibility? Can’t say that didn’t impact Lockwood’s decision to return for his senior year vs sign after his junior year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

and i believe he is still paired with luke hughes.

i wonder if teams like it when late round picks are paired with top prospects in lower leagues because it elevates their game, or they dislike it because it inflates their stats, hides weaknesses the player should be working on, and generally makes evaluation harder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
and i believe he is still paired with luke hughes.

i wonder if teams like it when late round picks are paired with top prospects in lower leagues because it elevates their game, or they dislike it because it inflates their stats, hides weaknesses the player should be working on, and generally makes evaluation harder.

I certainly love it.

Playing with top players generally ups the game and skill development of guys lucky enough to have that opportunity. It’s no accident that there are clusters of NHLers from dominant teams and around dominant players at lower levels.

Reactions: Vector

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench

Definitely, but part of that is what he's doing on the backend. His CF% has been higher than the teams average in every game he's played but one so he is driving play on that team.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wolverines scuffling a bit to start the year with a lot of new pieces in place.

Any news on Truscott?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If I understand the rules correctly, Truscott is free to sign with any NHL team after August 15th after he completes his senior year in the NCAA.

What's 'unclear' to me is whether or the not the Canucks are due any draft compensation.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If I understand the rules correctly, Truscott is free to sign with any NHL team after August 15th after he completes his senior year in the NCAA.

What's 'unclear' to me is whether or the not the Canucks are due any draft compensation.

They are not. Draft compensation is for unsigned 1st rounders only.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can anyone confirm whether it was management’s decision not to sign him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad