Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Jacob Truscott (5th Round, 144th Overall) (University of Michigan)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I like this pick just because it gives me an excuse to watch that Michigan team next year. They’re going to be so much fun.
Yes what an insane roster. 6 draftees and 2 players vying for 1st OA in 2021. Gonna be the most heavily scouted team outside of World Juniors, U18 and Hlinka teams.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Saw both games
Wasnt overly impressed but it is his first games

Pretty decent on the PK
zero patience with the puck and just shoots as soon as the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone.
But he has a high compete level

doesnt play a lot of minutes as Cam York's pairing, and Owen Powers pairing are just so solid and take most minutes.
especially Owen Power who is already better than Cam York by quite a bit and is 17 years old

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Saw both games
Wasnt overly impressed but it is his first games

Pretty decent on the PK
zero patience with the puck and just shoots as soon as the puck touches his stick in the offensive zone.
But he has a high compete level

doesnt play a lot of minutes as Cam York's pairing, and Owen Powers pairing are just so solid and take most minutes.
especially Owen Power who is already better than Cam York by quite a bit and is 17 years old

Agree that he didn't look like a great prospect, had trouble handling passes often, didn't seem to have a lot of poise in either zone, passing was uninspired. In general looked a bit nervousness if not overwhelmed. Not sure what they saw in him but he's reasonably physical and moves well I guess, and maybe with development you'll get something.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agree that he didn't look like a great prospect, had trouble handling passes often, didn't seem to have a lot of poise in either zone, passing was uninspired. In general looked a bit nervousness if not overwhelmed. Not sure what they saw in him but he's reasonably physical and moves well I guess, and maybe with development you'll get something.

I wonder where robo/potato would have picked him (if at all) given his offensive production. Looks like there is some upside and he's attending a good program, but highly unpolished at this point. Seems like a guy who can look really good and really terrible.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The kid is heating up
He had good offensive zone time tonight, as the bottom 6 just did well for michigan
and he was 2nd with 6 shot attempts, just behind Beniers
After essentially not playing competitive hockey for like 8 months he is settling in and has way more patience and not just shooting instantly like in his first weekend series.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The thing you have to love about most of these late-round draft picks is that they seem to come on like gangbusters in their draft-plus-seasons.

I mean who saw Aiden McDonough's first season at Northeastern as seventh round draft pick out of the USHL? And Tyler Madden, drafted in the third round in 2018, was being mentioned as a probable first round draft pick an any re-draft. And this season, Zlodeyev, Persson and even Kunz are having stronger seasons in their draft-plus one seasons and have actually graduated to higher leagues.

And Truscott looks to be having a solid start to his career in Michigan. Looks a lot bigger on the highlight packages than what he's listed at Hockey DB. So maybe he's bigger and stronger after only a season.

And of course you have to mention Rathbone and Gaudette, drafted in the fourth and fifth rounds respectively. And both look like they'll be fixtures in the Vancouver

With late round picks, that's all you can ask for--continuous improvement. Even the most hardened critic of the Canucks drafting would have to concede that in recent seasons they're certainly getting it right in later rounds.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This recent draft was one of my favorites, lots of sleeper picks with home run potential. Truscott and Kunz may end up being those players that are highly coveted as college free agents.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Good couple a games for Truescott here. If he keeps this up all season we may have something here

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Good couple a games for Truescott here. If he keeps this up all season we may have something here
We may already have something here. Hockey DB lists him as only 18, won't turn 19 until the end of the current NCAA season in April. So he's young, even by NCAA freshman standards. And the fact that he's an everyday player and even getting some pp time on a team like Michigan with a solid men's hockey program, really bodes well for future seasons.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
How’s his skating? I ask because he appears to play a conventional dman game and looks pretty tall. Those types have been less successful in the NHL recently.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Michigan at Penn State game is airing live on ESPNU.

Truscott in the lineup with an assist in the first. Seems to me there is another one. Am I correct or is it just a BB of a thought running around in my brain?

Jimmy Dowd Jr. is playing for Penn State. His dad played 17 years of professional hockey and saw NHL action in all 728 GP in all in addition to 324 AHL contests with 156 played in his 1st 2 pro seasons played with the Utica Devils. He played for NJ, NY Isles, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Montreal, Chicago, Colorado, Philadelphia, and for those who may remember, 38 GP for the Vancouver Canucks in the 1995-96 season.

Just a little nostalgia there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointed EP40

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's playing a lot better the last few games, looks like a different player with some experience under his belt and obviously a bit more confidence which is allowing him to show some of his hockey sense.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
The Michigan at Penn State game is airing live on ESPNU.

Truscott in the lineup with an assist in the first. Seems to me there is another one. Am I correct or is it just a BB of a thought running around in my brain?

Jimmy Dowd Jr. is playing for Penn State. His dad played 17 years of professional hockey and saw NHL action in all 17,728 GP in all in addition to 324 AHL contests with 156 played in his 1st 2 pro seasons played with the Utica Devils. He played for NJ, NY Isles, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Montreal, Chicago, Colorado, Philadelphia, and for those who may remember, 38 GP for the Vancouver Canucks in the 1995-96 season.

Just a little nostalgia there.
Im amazed we know so little about a guy who played over seventeen thousand NHL games!

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Classic Young talented Freshman Squad. Pearson said this would happen at the beginning of the year, and said will probably continue to happen in his post game presser.

Carry the play for majority of game, then literally spend the final 10 minutes playing entirely in their own zone.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am less worried about the blown coverage than how he had to turn around at centre ice to keep up with the play. he looked like a forward there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not unexpected that as an 18 year old d-man he's going to struggle at times playing against older, faster players in the NCAA. And the blueline is one of the toughest positions to break in.....at times you're on an island out there, and unless the forwards are coming back to help out, you can look pretty bad on occasion.

This is a development year for Truscott. They key will be whether he can learn and improve heading into his sophomore season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Been watching a few games and Trustscott isn’t the only one shitting it up. Been very underwhelming with the favourite to go #1 Owen powers. He looks more like a 7-12 level prospect than a lottery one.

Reactions: lawrence

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Not sure why everyone's blowing him up for that play, seemed like he thought his partner might get blown wide, so he covered that and then booked it home in front to help his keeper in a dangerous spot. Had he gone to block the first pass, he risked missing it and having a 2 on 0. He then broke up the immediate play down low, and they scored on a drive in. Not great, but they had way more speed coming back then expected by the whole team. Looks like a player that reads with his forward group, and they were way behind. He probably should have interfered physically with the two open players, but kind of looks like he didn't trust his d partner and got caught out. He's a rookie, for goodness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad