Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Godson and the Buffalo CruSabres 3-0 (Higgins, Richardson, Stanton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm loving Torts' line juggling. Did we ever see Sed/Sedin/Kesler in AV's tenure? Did AV continually break up the Sedins like Torts has? Honestly can't remember. Torts is coaching smart. Kesler is hot lately, so play him with our two top forwards. Santorelli is hot, so make him anchor a line because he can handle it.

Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton have been fantastic pickups so far this season.

I'm fairly certain AV never even attempted once. He was hellbent on "maintaining the status quo," hoping things would solve themselves, no matter how frequently it blew up in his face. One aspect of Torts I have noticed is a seemingly gentler side. Whether or not he was fired because of a locker room demand. He seems to have taken it to heart. I love it. We finally have a coach that can admit fault.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'm loving Torts' line juggling. Did we ever see Sed/Sedin/Kesler in AV's tenure? Did AV continually break up the Sedins like Torts has? Honestly can't remember. Torts is coaching smart. Kesler is hot lately, so play him with our two top forwards. Santorelli is hot, so make him anchor a line because he can handle it.

Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton have been fantastic pickups so far this season.

Yeah I must say, I've been impressed with Torts thus far. A couple times at least that I can recall a line juggle immediately reaped rewards in an important goal.

I also like how he seems to be giving guys an opportunity to flourish. Big minutes to Edler, Kesler, Hank etc. Garrison at a ppg pace.. Stanton, Santorelli both playing way above expectations to this point. How much of that is on Torts who can say for sure, still he's impressed me up to this point. Look forward to seeing what kind of magic he can work with the lines from this point on.

Would love a W against the Pens, that could get the bandwagon rolling a bit.

Thought Hamhuis played solid last night, hopefully he steadies up and gets back to his usual form. Probably one of the easier shutouts I've seen a goalie get in the NHL. Sabres had like 2 scoring chances the entire game and managed to hit a crossbar, a post and a face. Lucky, but thought Nucks played strong game nonetheless.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Still early yet but I also like the addition of Torts behind the bench. Team looks much more engaged than they have in the past season and a half.

I'm reading a lot of things like "well we'll see when they play a good team". There is some truth to that, however, if they simply manage to beat up on the bottom half of the league and hold their own against good teams not named San Jose they are playoff bound. Not only are they playoff bound but they may have a cap cushion built up to make a good addition at the deadline.

I'd love a great third line center. I really would. But they can't fit that guy yet. They can later and when/if they do that is when the winger depth will start to pay off.

Stanton - certainly worth the waiver pick up. Even if he crashes and burns from this point on (which I doubt).

Santorelli - he doesn't need to score another goal or get another point and he was worth the minimum wage salary. A major part of a handful of wins. Can't really ask for anything more. It's clear he re-dedicated himself to his craft in the off season after a tough couple of years. He saw the writing on the wall but worked his butt off and will likely be rewarded with another year or two in the NHL.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Are we really back to this again DTS? Wasnt enough that he's still on the team when you were adamant he would not be in the offseason? Tortorella also remarks that he is pretty familiar with Booth from his FLA days and knows what he had with this player. A big, fast top6 per year producer (nice re-jigging) of the numbers though. I'm sure his 1 point in 12 games completely excludes him from the .5ppg top6 camp... Yup.

It's been 8 games and he's coming off 1.5 years of injury time. How about we be about more patient and see what he can do when he regains his earlier 2012 form?

Booth couldn't be traded or bought out due to injury. He HAD to be brought back.

Saying I have 're-jigged' the numbers is crap and you know it. I added up every game he's played in a Canuck uniform and tallied his production. There's absolutely no re-jigging going on here. Picking and choosing what games you want to count would be re-jigging the numbers.

I also don't think I'm as convinced as you are that Tortorella is sold on this player. As of today, Tortorella prefers the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Santorelli, Higgins and Hansen to David Booth. That leaves Booth as the #8 forward on the depth chart.

81 games in a Canuck uniform - 35 points. This is exactly what Booth has provided offensively. If he continues to generate as few quality scoring chances as he has under Tortorella, look for those numbers to reduce even further. Scary proposition at that cap hit.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Booth couldn't be traded or bought out due to injury. He HAD to be brought back.

Saying I have 're-jigged' the numbers is crap and you know it. I added up every game he's played in a Canuck uniform and tallied his production. There's absolutely no re-jigging going on here. Picking and choosing what games you want to count would be re-jigging the numbers.

I also don't think I'm as convinced as you are that Tortorella is sold on this player. As of today, Tortorella prefers the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Santorelli, Higgins and Hansen to David Booth. That leaves Booth as the #8 forward on the depth chart.

81 games in a Canuck uniform - 35 points. This is exactly what Booth has provided offensively. If he continues to generate as few quality scoring chances as he has under Tortorella, look for those numbers to reduce even further. Scary proposition at that cap hit.

Umm injured players CAN be traded.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

Hey the kings won a cup with penner and the bruins with kaberle.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Have Hamhuis and Edler ever played any significant time together? If this Garrison and Bieksa pairing continues to work it might be something worth trying.

Who would play the right side? Edler isn't great on the right, and he has played quite well so far, even though Garrison has been putting up the points, I think Edler has been our best defensemen, he's been eating up 27 minutes a game, why mess with a pairing that is working in Edler-Garrison?

Tanevian*

Penner was a contributor when the Kings won the cup.

Yup, he contributed 7 goals in 65 games that season and was a -7. That seems Boothable. (boothable sounds like a Dustin Brown impression)

Outside99*

I agree with DTS but there's nothing that can be done about it except get the most out of the player.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Certainly not great, but I don't think it's that bad.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I thought 35 points was the cut-off for top 6 forwards anyway?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
How did Schroeder look last night?

edit: I just read on canucksarmy that he "pyloned" Hodgson, is there a clip of that? :D

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I enjoy seeing Tortorella load up the top line in order to (I assume) try to get Kesler to use his linemates a bit more, get him some more space, and just generally make him feel a bit more comfortable offensively. I think it's also a useful tactic against really underwhelming teams that the Canucks can beat up on. Put your foot on the throat and don't let them up.

That's the second time this year the Canucks have, for the most part, dominated a team from start to finish. That's a fresh development.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I enjoy seeing Tortorella load up the top line in order to (I assume) try to get Kesler to use his linemates a bit more, get him some more space, and just generally make him feel a bit more comfortable offensively. I think it's also a useful tactic against really underwhelming teams that the Canucks can beat up on. Put your foot on the throat and don't let them up.

That's the second time this year the Canucks have, for the most part, dominated a team from start to finish. That's a fresh development.

Not a coincidence that it was against the two worst teams in the league though.

<insert debbie downer pic here>

It is nice to see the Canucks not play down to the level of their opponent. We'll see if they can play up to the level of the Pens.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not a coincidence that it was against the two worst teams in the league though.

<insert debbie downer pic here>

It is nice to see the Canucks not play down to the level of their opponent. We'll see if they can play up to the level of the Pens.

If prefer to try and bring them down to our level :sarcasm:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Even if he takes the route of a Bryan Bickell we'd all be more than satisfied.

not that i would complain if he had one monster bickell-like year while riding shotgun with the sedins en route to the cup, kassian just becoming momesso is fine enough for me.

Big%20Moe%20Cover.jpg

And throwing away 2nd rounders. Though Gillis has had his dislike for them too. Remember Vadim Sharifjanov? Me neither.:laugh:

hey now now.

jeff-george-the-sheriff-poster.jpg

the girl is like 14

didn't she say last night that she was born in '89? i'm older than that, but not so old that i don't remember what high school was like.

If we were able to get away with Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi and have success, there's no reason we can't go with Daniel-Henrik-Kesler. Stack it up.

i thought the whole point of everybody going off the rails and becoming insufferable boors is because we want better than the "success" of getting a high seed in the regular season and immediately getting bounced in the playoffs.

Tanevian*

How did Schroeder look last night?

edit: I just read on canucksarmy that he "pyloned" Hodgson, is there a clip of that? :D

He did, Hodson was covering on D and Shroeder just walked around him.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Oh hey guys I see we're back to ripping David Booth again. Just wanted to drop in to update the ticker:

Canucks Games Played: 8
Goals Scored Against Canucks While Booth On Ice: 0

Tanevian*

Oh hey guys I see we're back to ripping David Booth again. Just wanted to drop in to update the ticker:

Canucks Games Played: 8
Goals Scored Against Canucks While Booth On Ice: 0

Boring!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad