Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Godson and the Buffalo CruSabres 3-0 (Higgins, Richardson, Stanton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Oh hey guys I see we're back to ripping David Booth again. Just wanted to drop in to update the ticker:

Canucks Games Played: 8
Goals Scored Against Canucks While Booth On Ice: 0

Booth has the hockey sense of a stone.

But...

He hasn't played much hockey the last two years.

He missed most of his off-season training regimen and most of training camp.

If (and it is a big IF) he can get through this season without injury, I suspect we will have a power forward, running on all cylinders, by the time the playoffs roll around.

He is being used as a third line checking forward so far and he is doing well enough.

He is not worth his salary right now, but if he does round into form, I suspect he will be by the end of the season.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
He is being used as a third line checking forward so far and he is doing well enough.
You're right. He's being used as a third line checking forward. And while playing as said checking forward, no one has managed to score a single goal against the Canucks while he's been on the ice. Yeah I'd say that's doing "well enough".

After that Devils game someone came up with the stat that Booth had played 18 minutes of ice time, during which the Devils got 1 shot. That's almost an entire period of ice time and they got 1 shot on goal. In a tight game that went to OT. That's not good, those are "wtf is this I don't even" kinds of numbers.

I want to see Booth with the Sedins. Luongo could just sit around playing Jenga with that line on the ice, the other team would never have the puck. More realistically, when Burrows gets back it'll probably be one of Booth - Kesler - Burrows or Booth - Santorelli - Hansen, either of which sounds pretty okay for a middle 6 offering to me.

Just always annoys the hell out of me when people get on this bash Booth bandwagon. Put Burrows on the third line and you'll get roughly the same result.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
You're right. He's being used as a third line checking forward. And while playing as said checking forward, no one has managed to score a single goal against the Canucks while he's been on the ice. Yeah I'd say that's doing "well enough".

After that Devils game someone came up with the stat that Booth had played 18 minutes of ice time, during which the Devils got 1 shot. That's almost an entire period of ice time and they got 1 shot on goal. In a tight game that went to OT. That's not good, those are "wtf is this I don't even" kinds of numbers.

I want to see Booth with the Sedins. Luongo could just sit around playing Jenga with that line on the ice, the other team would never have the puck. More realistically, when Burrows gets back it'll probably be one of Booth - Kesler - Burrows or Booth - Santorelli - Hansen, either of which sounds pretty okay for a middle 6 offering to me.

Just always annoys the hell out of me when people get on this bash Booth bandwagon. Put Burrows on the third line and you'll get roughly the same result.

A couple of things:

Don't include me in the Booth Bashing Bandwagon.

I have always defended the guy.

Secondly, he has played with the Sedins and I just don't see him as having the hockey IQ to play with them.

But once he rounds into shape, then I do see him as having 2nd line potential. He did well with Kesler and Higgns previously and I don't see why that could not be repeated.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Yeah, Booth isn't as bad as some make him out to be, and his production has to be weighed against the fact he's always hurt or coming back from injury. Stay healthy for 40+ games and his production will improve. Might never be a 30 goal scorer again, but if he's a 20-20 guy our team becomes much better.

But he's not a good fit with the Twins. Both Torts and AV have tried it and it doesn't work. Kesler is a north-south player as well, but Booth might as well have his head in a cardboard box. To fit with the Sedins you need to be able to connnect on in-tight passes, something Kesler and Burrows can do, but not something I've seen from Booth.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah, Booth isn't as bad as some make him out to be, and his production has to be weighed against the fact he's always hurt or coming back from injury. Stay healthy for 40+ games and his production will improve. Might never be a 30 goal scorer again, but if he's a 20-20 guy our team becomes much better.

But he's not a good fit with the Twins. Both Torts and AV have tried it and it doesn't work. Kesler is a north-south player as well, but Booth might as well have his head in a cardboard box. To fit with the Sedins you need to be able to connnect on in-tight passes, something Kesler and Burrows can do, but not something I've seen from Booth.

I'm looking forward to seeing him work with Schroeder and Kassian some more, I think they'll complement him well.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Booth has the hockey sense of a stone.

But...

He hasn't played much hockey the last two years.

He missed most of his off-season training regimen and most of training camp.

If (and it is a big IF) he can get through this season without injury, I suspect we will have a power forward, running on all cylinders, by the time the playoffs roll around.

He is not worth his salary right now, but if he does round into form, I suspect he will be by the end of the season.

You obviously don't understand his salary structure. 500k for the hockey side of things and 4 million a year for his dreamy surfer hair.

He is the best bargain on the team.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Booth is a really good forechecker. However I just don't think he has the hockey iq to be a top-six offensive player. He needs to be on a checking line paired with defensively responsible players where he can just skate and bang and where offence is a bonus.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Booth is a really good forechecker. However I just don't think he has the hockey iq to be a top-six offensive player. He needs to be on a checking line paired with defensively responsible players where he can just skate and bang and where offence is a bonus.

He's scored 20+ goals in each of the three regular seasons he's actually been healthy enough to play (close to) the whole season. There's no question he's a top six player.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
He's scored 20+ goals in each of the three regular seasons he's actually been healthy enough to play (close to) the whole season. There's no question he's a top six player.

I have no doubt he would score 20 goals again this year if placed on Henrik or Kesler's line. However he is a severe detriment to the production of his linemates. He doesn't have the hockey iq for the most basic passing plays. Almost every time he has the puck I'm shaking my head because he seems to make the wrong play 70% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad