Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 5-2 (Kuzmenko x2, Miller, Dries, Aman)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I mean, we look better but Tocchet got the easy part of the schedule. As far as next season goes, who knows what we'll actually look like vs. actual quality.
While I certainly understand the caution of garbage time this is different than the Bruce bump. They went from no system (or not buying in to whatever Green was selling) under Green and Bruce to a fully formed system they are buying in. I’m not huge on systems making a difference as most are the same except for some details. Coverage is coverage. But buying in and being held accountable is different. They are clearly buying in so far and it’s something that should help going into camp next year.

Boeser….Boeser actually does only need a couple things fixed. His knowledge, positioning etc is quite good. He needs to fix his speed and compete. Hell even if he fixes one of them he becomes a good asset to trade. He needs to work on his skating and fitness in the summer. He needs to drop Da Beauty league for actual training.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This made me laugh. Yes just a couple things to fix and he'll be worth every penny

haha exactly

still i am 1% holding out hope. i remember tocchet being a guy who played like he’d shank you in the prison showers

that either could turn our

1678644533237.gif

into

1678644614731.jpeg

…or it could destroy boeser and send him perma-fetal

• Haha
Reactions: sting101

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Reinbacher does have a Swiss hockey license because he played almost all of his hockey in Switzerland but he's Austrian. He doesn't have Swiss citizenship.
Throw another shrimp in the barby mate!

Fun game. Surprising how much better the results become when you play more like a team. That said, it's myopic ignoring the history of many of these players when there's nothing on the line. Perhaps they're ready to shed the stink of Benning, or maybe we'll get another early season collapse next season.

I think it's interesting that Yzerman evaluated his team and found them wanting and so decided to take advantage of a rare situation, making moves completely against the grain of what most would say is common sense. Its that boldness in leadership I think many folks wished to see from this management group. It's going to be fascinating seeing how the two teams compare over the next few years and how close they get to being contenders.

The wings were in the race for a playoff berth but pulled back and traded players for picks. The Canucks were no where near the playoffs, but traded high picks for a player. There's an argument to be made that they both had similar quality players in their rosters.

Reading the resident gatekeeper posting again (and again, and again) about what kind of comments are acceptable. I find them a good way to test one's patience. The level of hubris and ego it takes to say crap like that, and seemingly believe it is actually rather sad. Here's hoping you grow out of it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes I like to see the team win...BUT...this team is doing the most Canuck thing ever. It's been happening for the last 40 years...

Winning with spirit and an edge in meaningless games.

Having "a player" that the fan base was ready to move-off of start showing determination and effort and help lead the team.

And worst of all...take the team from probable top 5 draft pick range to somewin the 8 to 12 range.

Whatever...yay victory...go our team...beat those other guys and enjoy Kelowna in the off-season.

🤢💩💤
While the Canucks season is over, this was certainly not a "meaningless" game as Ottawa is fighting for a playoff position. We're still 18 games out from the end of the season and teams are jockeying for position, it's close but we aren't quite at the point where teams are mailing it in.

Also the Canucks dropped to 4th/5th last or whatever on the end of a long losing skid, that's probably the low point of their season but it was probably never feasible to expect them to actually finish that low. Especially with Demko coming back. At the high point of the season somewhere close to midway I think we were only about 2 points from a wildcard position. Finishing with the 7-9th pick is a more realistic expectation.

Reactions: Nomobo

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Bruce did well when he had a healthy Demko, looks like Tocchets doing just as well with a healthy Demko as well. Because they both did awful without a healthy Demko.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I find this so rediculous. We are like everyone else.

Yes, we had a riot, it was cleaned up by 10 am the next day. I lived downtown, went to the game had lunch on a patio in the "riot zone" the next day. The playoff run was a lot of fun.

People need to stop making such a big deal about stupid stuff and just enjoy things when they're good.

Using terms like "toxic" to refer to fandom of a hockey team people choose to cheer for is rediculous.
The way I see it pretty much ever fanbase is the same, but a team's situation is going to create different flavours.

Like when Gillis was fired with drafting being the only thing that could be a negative on his record, and Benning comes in as some supposed drafting guru but starts making a ton of early mistakes, a lot of fans took up the foolish notion that 'as long as he can draft the rest doesn't matter'.

So with our current situation, after 8 years of Benning tanking the team but also refusing to commit to any sort of common rebuild pattern, our fanbase is extra sensitive when new management does something like extending Miller rather than trading for futures or trading picks for Hronek at the deadline.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Man, what a f***-up it was to retain a senile, confused-looking Boudreau. Wasted a season because of it.
Wait, I thought it was only goaltending that was the problem?

In all seriousness, you can see the impact playing within a system VS the previous year under Boudreau. The results may be similar, but the way they're achieved is entirely different. One is sustainable, although let's see what happens next year when there's actual pressure to win again.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Wait, I thought it was only goaltending that was the problem?

In all seriousness, you can see the impact playing within a system VS the previous year under Boudreau. The results may be similar, but the way they're achieved is entirely different. One is sustainable, although let's see what happens next year when there's actual pressure to win again.
Sustainable? Is Kuzmenko's late game heroics, early game heroics, mid game heroics not a chief reason why we are winning? Is scoring 40 on 27% shooting sustainable? Is this schedule of ice cream puff difficulty opponents going to sustain next year? Seriously, how many times is our fanbase going to buy into these late season surges? Your team is actively murdering its future and all of you are waving pompoms.

Play the kids.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bruce did well when he had a healthy Demko, looks like Tocchets doing just as well with a healthy Demko as well. Because they both did awful without a healthy Demko.
Agreed..There wasnt a coach in the league that was going to win anything with the AHL/ECHL level of goaltending the Canucks were getting through 2/3 of this season.

37-15-2 is good sample size of Boudreau's first season here..Thats almost 75% of the season...He deserved another year.

I saying that, I think that what Tocchet is installing in the squad is going to pay dividends in the long term...He's doing s good job.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Man, what a f***-up it was to retain a senile, confused-looking Boudreau. Wasted a season because of it.
This is just a repeat of last season. And the season before and the .....

How often folks can be fooled.

The schedule has a lot to do with outcomes

10 of their next games are versus sub .500 teams or bottom third of the league, their contemporaries.

Last year there was the big push and miss, this year games that are providing "hope" for next year, just like last year and the year ....

But they looked good against Ottawa.:thumbu:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This is just a repeat of last season. And the season before and the .....

How often folks can be fooled.

The schedule has a lot to do with outcomes

10 of their next games are versus sub .500 teams or bottom third of the league, their contemporaries.

Last year there was the big push and miss, this year games that are providing "hope" for next year, just like last year and the year ....

But they looked good against Ottawa.:thumbu:
It's awesome for the W column when one management team is manipulating it's roster to lose while the other one is balls-to-the-wall trying to squeeze out wins to get to 9th place.

Reactions: theguardianII

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Agreed..There wasnt a coach in the league that was going to win anything with the AHL/ECHL level of goaltending the Canucks were getting through 2/3 of this season.

37-15-2 is good sample size of Boudreau's first season here..Thats almost 75% of the season...He deserved another year.

I saying that, I think that what Tocchet is installing in the squad is going to pay dividends in the long term...He's doing s good job.
That's if he always has a healthy Demko, because if Demko gets injured the team has no goalie to bail them out. The D is still not that good, but definitely helps when you have a NHL caliber goalie in net sure can help hide holes. Kind of what Markstrom did for years when he was a Canuck, pretty much what Demko has done for the last few years, but obviously when he's not healthy the holes show more and the defense is still crap. This team won't be a contender until the D is fixed, doesn't matter how many coaches you bring in, until the actual issue is fixed they will continue to be a bubble team hoping their goalie stays healthy.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Sustainable? Is Kuzmenko's late game heroics, early game heroics, mid game heroics not a chief reason why we are winning? Is scoring 40 on 27% shooting sustainable? Is this schedule of ice cream puff difficulty opponents going to sustain next year? Seriously, how many times is our fanbase going to buy into these late season surges? Your team is actively murdering its future and all of you are waving pompoms.

Play the kids.
Yes, the points you're making are accurate. I'm suggesting that shifting away from individual chaotic play to a more regimented team approach will be a net benefit on the whole if you ever want to actually win games with control. The in game play is gradually reflecting this shift,

I have no control or influence over management decisions, and the point has zero to do with it.

I'm not claiming this team is anything more than a threat to make the playoffs, as there are just far too many issues. But it's that vs what we've seen under Boudreau, where the team sunk to the bottom of the league along with no defensive structure glued to extremely poor goaltending.

I could be wrong and ultimately there's no difference between the coaching approaches, and again, the difference isn't winning the Canucks anything important. This is not a comment on how best to build/rebuild/reboot/retool/re-whatever the team. I've shared my opinion on this enough times.

Anyhow, before running away with criticism like the bolded from your post, you may want to familiarize yourself a little more with the context of this one particular post, otherwise you're bound to look stupid ragging on someone who hives to the same approach as you do.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Yes, the points you're making are accurate. I'm suggesting that shifting away from individual chaotic play to a more regimented team approach will be a net benefit on the whole if you ever want to actually win games with control. The in game play is gradually reflecting this shift,

I have no control or influence over management decisions, and the point has zero to do with it.

I'm not claiming this team is anything more than a threat to make the playoffs, as there are just far too many issues. But it's that vs what we've seen under Boudreau, where the team sunk to the bottom of the league along with no defensive structure glued to extremely poor goaltending.

I could be wrong and ultimately there's no difference between the coaching approaches, and again, the difference isn't winning the Canucks anything important. This is not a comment on how best to build/rebuild/reboot/retool/re-whatever the team. I've shared my opinion on this enough times.

Anyhow, before running away with criticism like the bolded from your post, you may want to familiarize yourself a little more with the context of this one particular post, otherwise you're bound to look stupid ragging on someone who hives to the same approach as you do.
Im sorry, Ive been ranting and raving all morning reacting to all the pompoms in my face, you're all just collateral.

• Haha
Reactions: quat

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
That's if he always has a healthy Demko, because if Demko gets injured the team has no goalie to bail them out. The D is still not that good, but definitely helps when you have a NHL caliber goalie in net sure can help hide holes. Kind of what Markstrom did for years when he was a Canuck, pretty much what Demko has done for the last few years, but obviously when he's not healthy the holes show more and the defense is still crap. This team won't be a contender until the D is fixed, doesn't matter how many coaches you bring in, until the actual issue is fixed they will continue to be a bubble team hoping their goalie stays healthy.
...and that there is a pipeline of talent pushing the vets. Yes, otherwise, you're kinda like the golden knights/Penguins, contenders because of your key elite talents, but not capable of building enough depth to fight off the leafs/bruins/canes each year that are deep enough to withstand injuries in the playoffs. Pretender contenders.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Yep - I agree. Need a few more elite pieces and better defense all together - everything has to go right for this team to even make it past a round. M.O seems to be just make the playoffs and anything can happen. There's something to be said for experience but a whole different thing if the team even has the assets to contend for the cup.

I would think a little bit of all of the above. The D group has only Hughes and Myers that have been regulars yet they continue to limit chances. Demko doesn't have to put up Vezina numbers to get a win surprisingly.
Against Ottawa and Anaheim he only faced 42 shot attempts combined. The previous three starts against Toronto, Minny and Dallas he faced 37, 36 and 38. Coincidence?

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
You (and many others) should pause your “fandom” until we’re close to being a cup contender.

It’s actually hilariously annoying hearing the same “fans” complain an eternity… “BUT WE’RE NOT A CUP CONTENDER”.

It takes time and process to build a cup contender - it doesn’t just happen overnight.

Honestly just sick of you bandwagon fans with this toxic ass mentality.

If you hate this team so bad (and many others), why are you even following!? Go do something productive with your time.

Like how much of a loser you gotta be IRL if you spend all your time complaining about a hockey team on a damn hockey forum that you’re supposed to be a “fan” of.

Sick of your guys’ toxic shit.
I really dislike the tone of your post.

Stop being so judgemental. We have a right to feel however we want to about this team on this forum

Reactions: Hit the post

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Im sorry, Ive been ranting and raving all morning reacting to all the pompoms in my face, you're all just collateral.
That quote;

is NOT from me, that is "quat"'s quote;

Reactions: Raistlin and quat

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I really dislike the tone of your post.

Stop being so judgemental. We have a right to feel however we want to about this team on this forum
I also dislike my tone. I don’t really want to put it that way but sure it’s effective in any other way.

I also dislike the tone of the pompous, arrogant and downright annoying peeps (ala Thomas Drance) that constantly whine and constantly shit on the management/org (even tho they have mostly been good since JR/Allvin). I used to be like you guys but realized being like that is honestly so pathetic.

If you’re just constantly whining and crying and only happy and supportive when they’re good… doesn’t that just make you a bandwagon fan??

You have the right to say/feel whatever you want but there’s no point reiterating and regurgitating the same schtick over and over again.

“Oh no Canucks suck they have no prospects/cap space, gonna be bad another decade!!! Won’t be a cup contender for another decade!!! Management sucks. Ownership sucks. Wah wah wah”

^ This has been parroted by “fans” on a daily basis. Zero productive thought but just more useless comments.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
...and that there is a pipeline of talent pushing the vets. Yes, otherwise, you're kinda like the golden knights/Penguins, contenders because of your key elite talents, but not capable of building enough depth to fight off the leafs/bruins/canes each year that are deep enough to withstand injuries in the playoffs. Pretender contenders.
Not sure if sarcasm for pipeline of talent, but I don't think there's that much tbh. Hence why this team has needed a rebuild for a long time to get the actual talent in the pipepline, hence also having the actual depth. Maybe they can make some crazy trades to add the depth and skill where it's needed and get lucky and have a few years of success, but that's a big if, not that as easy to pull off.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Not sure if sarcasm for pipeline of talent, but I don't think there's that much tbh. Hence why this team has needed a rebuild for a long time to get the actual talent in the pipepline, hence also having the actual depth. Maybe they can make some crazy trades to add the depth and skill where it's needed and get lucky and have a few years of success, but that's a big if, not that as easy to pull off.
Oh, I bolded "This team won't be a contender until...." In my quote.

Lol, let me reiterate. There is LIMITED pipeline of talent in our system. Räty has promise.... That's about the only sure thing down there, and even he has footspeed issues. At most you have 2 NHLers down there. Lekkerimaki if I'm optimistic, which I am. Karlsson and Klimovich has bottom line up potential 50/50, McDonough if he becomes a Perry type, slow but can take a beating to score goals. He can play spot duty I believe, less than 40/60. The rest I'm not optimistic at all....Bloom?? :$

Teams like canes/kings has like 10 guys with promise.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad