Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 5-2 - Hat-Trick Petey!

Feb 20, 2013
If this happens once in awhile then it’s lucky. Petey is just elite. Elite players can have a shitty game and still end up scoring on the few chance they get.
For sure. He is an elite player, which is why it was so easy to see he was off his game tonight. That said, his shots on the two non EN goals were well placed. I don't think the first one goes in most of the time, but "insert Gretzky quote here". The expectations are high for him because he is so damn good.

Mostly just funny to see the juxtaposition of his play on this particular night and the response from the "pundits". If I was Allvin I would show this game to his agent as an example of Pettersson being worth less than whatever they might ask for, not the other way around.

Reactions: arttk

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
OK I definitely don't want to draw parallels with 2011, but this game does remind me of times when the Canucks would sleepwalk and somehow still get win after win because they were simply the better team with better systems so having a sloppy start wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, Hughes has just been absolutely insane so far this season. Whenever he's got the puck you know that more often than not it'll end up on the other side of the ice as part of a good offensive play. He really is the engine of the team and IMO the reason why guys like Petey can look off and the team still wins.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
For sure. He is an elite player, which is why it was so easy to see he was off his game tonight. That said, his shots on the two non EN goals were well placed. I don't think the first one goes in most of the time, but "insert Gretzky quote here". The expectations are high for him because he is so damn good.

Mostly just funny to see the juxtaposition of his play on this particular night and the response from the "pundits". If I was Allvin I would show this game to his agent as an example of Pettersson being worth less than whatever they might ask for, not the other way around.
Yeah he is not really himself yet but somehow still putting up crazy amount of points

OK I definitely don't want to draw parallels with 2011, but this game does remind me of times when the Canucks would sleepwalk and somehow still get win after win because they were simply the better team with better systems so having a sloppy start wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, Hughes has just been absolutely insane so far this season. Whenever he's got the puck you know that more often than not it'll end up on the other side of the ice as part of a good offensive play. He really is the engine of the team and IMO the reason why guys like Petey can look off and the team still wins.
The captain we need

Reactions: alicia

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well that was fun. Just a joy this year.

Just a note, look at goal differential.

3 elite teams. VCR VG Bost

pretty much corresponds to overall rankings pretty good.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
A friend of mine that knows nothing about hockey asked me today

"Hey, is Pettersson the best player of the Canucks?"

I thought for a couple seconds and answer

"Depends on who you ask, he's either 2nd or 3rd best, it's between him and JT Miller. The best player the Canucks have is their captain, Quinn Hughes."

Any thoughts on this answer
I have strong opinions

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A friend of mine that knows nothing about hockey asked me today

"Hey, is Pettersson the best player of the Canucks?"

I thought for a couple seconds and answer

"Depends on who you ask, he's either 2nd or 3rd best, it's between him and JT Miller. The best player the Canucks have is their captain, Quinn Hughes."

Any thoughts on this answer

That's how I'd respond as well.

kylek023

Oct 22, 2021
Toronto, Ontario

#thankyouweisbrod

"All credit to the amazing Jim Benning for building the foundational elements of a perennial contender. Thank you Jim! #Canucks"
Byjc5yrIMAEcqD0.jpg

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ended up able to watch most of the game. Sloppy in parts but responded so well and I never felt like the game was out of hand. The biggest factor is the most important players have bought in and are dominating their minutes. The rest of the roster is chewing through their time. Even Suter, who can't get anything going offensively, is breaking up a lot of plays and negating chances every other shift. It's a far cry from having boat anchors throughout the roster.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Tocchet's expectations are for the best players to lead the team in every aspect. I don't really agree with his assessment of Pettersson tonight but I get it.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Ended up able to watch most of the game. Sloppy in parts but responded so well and I never felt like the game was out of hand. The biggest factor is the most important players have bought in and are dominating their minutes. The rest of the roster is chewing through their time. Even Suter, who can't get anything going offensively, is breaking up a lot of plays and negating chances every other shift. It's a far cry from having boat anchors throughout the roster.
Agree
I like that players who arent producing are still engaged in othwr ways, no one was a passenger.
Ok...Joshua is getting closed to passenger territory

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I love how every single Rick tochett ipost game interviews feels like it’s 10 minutes long, really good stuff

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Agree
I like that players who arent producing are still engaged in othwr ways, no one was a passenger.
Ok...Joshua is getting closed to passenger territory

I thought Joshua was much better today and still is an active disrupter. Still needs to do more but I feel that way about most of the bottom-6. He was the low man on the team in TOI.

Interestingly, very evenly spaced TOI tonight. No one with under 10 minutes. No forward about 19 minutes with most coming in at 13-16 minutes. Would prefer to see Myers minutes scaled back a little bit. Nearly 20 is still too much for him to handle.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty sloppy game for the most part but once we got the lead 3-2 and Nashville started to push 2 forwards high opening the middle of the ice we were able to transition and get scoring chances at a higher frequency and complete some sequences of passes.

This team will get squeezed and be pulling pucks out of the back of our net by better teams if they cannot learn to be more proficient at short tape to tape and area passes. Nashville didn't have the skill to make us pay

Quinn Hughes is absolutely unreal right now. He had a stretch last year that we all witnessed where Norris came into the conversation and honestly he's even better because he worked on his shot and is finding ways to attack the inside of the ice.....superstar and entertainment personified.

Pettersson i thought struggled with the trap and wasn't getting much help from his wingers until things opened up but when you are super smart and have an elite shot you can pull off a 3 goal performance in a sloppy game

Miller had some tough moments and good on Tocchet for sending a message to stop the unnecessary BS and just play through it. Wasn't surprised he scored the next goal.

The wingers for 2 periods were not good enough. Poor passing and inability to get any kind of sustained pressure. Stuck with it though and did a good job once the game opened up and then closed it out with solid play

Liked the Lafferty Hoglander Beauvillier line probably the most 5v5 . Beauvillier i thought sucked at making plays for the first half of the game though and needs to get going. Suter made some nice defensive plays late but does nothing else. Garland was noticeable in the 2nd half of the game.

The rest of the defence was decent. Bend but dont break....Especially Cole who stood out positively in this regard but got little support from the forwards tonight and were getting backed in.

Demko had one weak goal but was otherwise rock solid

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Have to be happy with the win but Canucks were real sloppy at times (and give Nashville some credit for the way they choked off the middle on the Canucks). Led to lot of shaky play by the Canucks coming out of their zone with many turnovers. Sometimes you are on a losing streak but you can see a team is coming together and then you start picking up wins. At other times, you are on a win streak but errors are creeping . But you continue to win for awhile. Yet inevitably you start to lose. Tochett has got the task of making sure they understand there was a lot wrong in this game and get them back to focusing on sticking to their systems and reducing mistakes.

Goal-tending (and lack of it by Predators was huge factor in this game). Also Canucks started moving the puck up the side negating some of turnovers as the game went along

Good

Pettersson - still see important faults in his game (was weak on the first goal against, took too long to make a pass or a shot, etc) but in the end you don't win without his talent. I'm just thinking how good he is going to be when he starts putting everything together. His line not good defensively in this one

Hughes - elite player - even in kind of ordinary game, like this one, is clearly the best player.

Beauvillier - showing he can get back and play defense. Still having problems taking it wide around defenders but other-wise showing good speed and determination.

Demko - big factor in win - key saves at important points. Would be my first star.

Lafferty - killing it in the face off circle and being a good glue player. Looks to me like he could play higher in the lineup

Not So Good

Boeser - hated his defense in this game. Gives up way too much room to the player he is supposed to cover and was very poor reacting to dangerous situations in his zone. Again looking sluggish in his skating and getting little on his shot. Shot, in fact, appears to be totally gone.

Hoglander -shows very little smarts with the puck and forces his passes and makes plays leading to 3 on 2s against (not the only one doing this - especially in the early going). Penalty was brain dead and he just seems out of control much of the time. Think his defense is better (still not that good however) but just too much random stuff. Maybe if you give him time, he relaxes some and starts figuring things out.

Others

Myers - two good steady games. Errors have dwindled and did provide some heavy checking in this game

Freidman - playing more and was fine in the 1st and 2nd. Fell off in the third and forced off the puck some

Soucy - like others got forced back into his crease at times but overall used reach to knock pucks away and keep pressure on people coming out of the corners. Made the safe efficient play most of the game

Miller - seemed to have burr under his saddle all game. First period penalty was a joke (Forsberg grabbed his stick) and he had reason to complain. But even before that seemed frustrated and moody. Luckily the refs made am nice make out call on Forsberg. Maybe Miller's weakest effort of the season but still he is crucial for any success.

One of the histories with the team is that they can get lazy on home strings. Like I said, Tocchet and crew can't let that happen. Now is the time to bank points.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad