Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 5-2 - Hat-Trick Petey!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You know things are going well when don’t even play that great but win convincingly. Probably their worst game in the last 5 - a bit more slop, a couple odd-man rushes - but still outshot and outchanced Nashville. Lankinen was pretty weak for them, probably some karma after the show Shesterkin put on in the last game.

- I liked Pettersson’s body language tonight and how happy looked in that interview even more than the hat trick.

- loved Tocchet’s handling of Miller tonight and loved Miller’s reaction to it just as much. Good coaching, good response.

- Beauvillier has looked much better the last couple games and I thought this was overall a good hand for the bottom-6. Lafferty also was very good.

- Hughes-Hronek were excellent aside from one really crappy shift where they were scored on twice. Hughes was everywhere offensively.

- Cole was really good. Skating really well for his age, just a really reliable player.

- Myers bungled the penalty shot play. Minutes go back up, more mistakes start to happen. Soucy really solid though.

- Demko wasn’t super busy but was really solid when needed.

Feb 20, 2013
Interesting that this is the game where lots of people on Twitter were making a big fuss about it being Pettersson's contract year...

They must have just looked at the scoreline because he was uncharacteristically bad tonight despite scoring 3. He killed several rushes/offensive zone possessions with bad passes and got caved in on shot and xG differential at 5 on 5. Gotta be good to be lucky, but he was pretty darn lucky overall tonight.

Reactions: mdobbs

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Interesting that this is the game where lots of people on Twitter were making a big fuss about it being Pettersson's contract year...

They must have just looked at the scoreline because he was uncharacteristically bad tonight despite scoring 3. He killed several rushes/offensive zone possessions with bad passes and got caved in on shot and xG differential at 5 on 5. Gotta be good to be lucky, but he was pretty darn lucky overall tonight.
If this happens once in awhile then it’s lucky. Petey is just elite. Elite players can have a shitty game and still end up scoring on the few chance they get.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Having a franchise level center, defensemen, and goaltending finally be accompanied by a great coach and reasonable depth - what a time to be a fan. Hughes looks like you're playing agains the AI in EA NHL games. Puck on a string, skating all over the place, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop you. And Petey - even when he isn't dominating zone time, his defensive play is so cerebral and all he needs is a split second to snipe one.

First half of the game was sloppy/lazy from the top guys, but they played much better in the third. This Nashville team is not very talented (well coached though), and playing against their backup allowed the boys to stay in it until they picked it up later.

Thought Beau/Lafferty/Hogs were the only guys playing with real pace in the first half of the game - really liked their play. Hogs + Lafferty's chemistry in general has been great, and I think it'll get even better when Laff is allowed to play RW again when Teddy is back.

Garland's line started playing better in the third, but man you really hope they start producing at some point. Suter is the posterboy at this point for why you need context behind JFresh stat pages - he hasn't been horrible and is a bit snakebitten, but this is not a playdriver.

Incredible start to the season, and the goal differential makes me believe that the high level of play is sustainable. Might finally have a good reason to make a trip back home during the spring this year :)

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
You don't like to jinx the team by chalking up the W ahead of time, but damn, the Sharks are scoring 1.00 goals per game, and allowing 3.88 goals per game. We should be 7-2-1 after Thursdays game.
Its almost a must win game when you put it that way, but they should be fine

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I remember being more excited for the beginning of last season then I had been for a while. It was the true beginning of the post-Benning era, we still had good Boudreau vibes, and the team looked poised to actually compete.

...And then they lost their first seven games and the season was literally over before the start of November.

So man does this start feel good. Whether or not they make the playoffs, and whether or not they even do anything there, it sure looks like this team is going to be more competitive all season than it has been in a very long time.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This isn’t even our final form.

Get Blueger in there for some defensive leverage minutes and trade for a top 4 RHD, preferably while we’re still rolling. This team has potential.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
You don't like to jinx the team by chalking up the W ahead of time, but damn, the Sharks are scoring 1.00 goals per game, and allowing 3.88 goals per game. We should be 7-2-1 after Thursdays game.
That's what Im nervous about
They are still winless so you tihink they bound to win a game at some point, need us to score a bunch of goals in the first period of that game to ease my anxiety

Last edited:
Reactions: Gormo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Maybe it's just me, but I remember being more excited for the beginning of last season then I had been for a while. It was the true beginning of the post-Benning era, we still had good Boudreau vibes, and the team looked poised to actually compete.

...And then they lost their first seven games and the season was literally over before the start of November.

So man does this start feel good. Whether or not they make the playoffs, and whether or not they even do anything there, it sure looks like this team is going to be more competitive all season than it has been in a very long time.
Felt like BB was kind of coasting because he only got a one year deal
His team literally played with no systme nor identity

I commend you for still being glass half empty after a start like this. Never change Johnny.
what he said, i blocked him yeara ago

Reactions: Kryten

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Repeating how wonderful it is to have Petey, Hughes, Miller & Demko. And Mikheyev and Suter backchecking, and decent guys on defense. And a cohesive coaching philosophy. And a GM and staff who know what they want and when to make their moves. Unreal.
It does feel the organization is competent now all around, doesn't it.

Thought the Canucks recovered well after an ugly first period. Although I suspect the ice was a factor in that. For both teams. Conversely, the Predators were pretty sharp in the first half of the game and looked like they really wanted to take it to the us but we weathered the storm and gradually grabbed the reins and took over from there.

I could totally see us giving the Sharks their first win next game but for the most part that looks to be a game that will be juicy for stat watching. Feel about as good as one could about that game.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
That was impressive how Tocchet benching Miller seemed to have such a direct impact on the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad