Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Penguins - 4-3 (OT) (Petey x2, Boeser x2) | Slap me silly, Sidney!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
my only complaint of this game is zero points for hughes - he was once again fantastic, and directly contributed to the first three goals. problem with the lotto line is that all three touch the puck often enough, taking away the assists for quinn.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks could have put this game away early if Jarry hadn't been so good. But, in the end, it was Demko that saved this game for his team. Saw signs of fatique in this game and next couple of games are going to be tough. But, overall, this is looking like a very successful and important road trip.

Good

Pettersson - another outstanding game. Turning around a sometimes shaky start and seemingly on the path he was a couple of seasons ago where he went from frustrating to brilliant. One thing to note is how he is staying on his feet. Lot of the physical infighting for the puck can be turned over to Miller allowing EP to play in space. That's been a real feature of the last few games

Boeser - very good early and showed his scoring touch around the net. Faded a bit later in the game but so did a lot of others

Demko - playing well when the puck is around his net. Critical saves throughout second half of the game that kept the team in it.

Garland - at many points carried his line. Never seems to run out of energy (mainly because skating is so smooth). At some points those shots have to start going in.

Myers - should have picked up Crosby better on the late goal but otherwise was probably our best two way d-man.

Blueger - came on the second half the of the game and was excellent on the PK. Hopefully can convert better a on chances he is getting. Would also say that while he wasn't a star, Aman was more effective.

Miller - another 3 points. Toe to toe with Crosby and that was a tough assignement in this game.

Others

Hronek - had trouble with his pinches and gave up a few odd man rushes. Also got hurried into turnovers around his net. Redeemed anything bad with a huge play in OT.

Hoglander - seemed to be going well but game time limited in this one. Didn't seem the coaches wanted to go much with him or Lafferty. In part, because Suter was out during penalties.

Mikheyev -had some better periods of play but he needs to get on his point man quicker and put away chances others are providing. One player that seemed to over stay shifts and look very bagged by the end of them.

Said at the beginning of the present series of away games that I would be happy if they won more than they lost. However, now is the time to get greedy and come away with as many points as possible.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011

Three of four made the cup final. The other made it to game 7 of the conference final.

Man I love Phil Di Oiuseppe

batman-robin-canucks-pdo.jpg

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Missed this one as well ffs. Stoked for the win. Did Petey show a human emotion after the OT goal? Im back on board the P train

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Tocchet's OBSESSION with putting the damn chaos giraffe on ice during OT is becoming extremely concerning.

OK sure his game is not all bad, and he's improved in this season, particularly when saddled up with Soucy (this should really be a point for Soucy, not Myers, if you think about it...).

But letting him be the lone D in OT against a team like Penguins? This is Desjardin +Megna/Chaput level of lunacy.
:facepalm:
Questionable, but I don't think this was nearly as bad as you think.

1. Hughes, who played 23 1/2 minutes, was not having a good game. Go back and look through the GDT and you'll find comment after comment after comment about Hughes being off his game tonight.

Ok, Hughes on his worst day has advantages over Myers at 3 on 3, but when your captain and defensive star is showing signs of fatigue, isn't going to get an all-star game break and you are on your 3rd game in 4 nights and 4th in 6 nights on the road, load management doesn't say rest your guy by putting him out 3 on 3 when you've already secured a point.

I can see at this stage of the season Tocchet looking for times to give Hughes some rest.

2. Myers is actually a decent skater and what people criticize him for is mostly his decision making. There aren't as many decisions to make in 3 on 3 hockey as there are at 5 on 5. It is a simpler game, especially the way it is played now as almost entirely a possession game. Maybe Myers might be better suited for 3 on 3 than 5 on 5.

3. Myers has actually been playing pretty well.

Ok, I'll grant you that Myers on his best day isn't going to be as good 3 on 3 as Hughes, but I don't think playing Myers 3 on 3 is nearly as bad as people seem to think. I see no reason at 3 on 3 to play Zadorov, Soucy or Cole ahead of him, so the real issue is how much to depend on your 2 guys who have been logging workhouse minutes most of the season.

If Tocchet wants to exercise some load management in that way, I don't have a problem with it. He's earned some credibility and presumably he's doing it for a reason, whether we know what his reasoning is or not.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Questionable, but I don't think this was nearly as bad as you think.

1. Hughes, who played 23 1/2 minutes, was not having a good game. Go back and look through the GDT and you'll find comment after comment after comment about Hughes being off his game tonight.

Ok, Hughes on his worst day has advantages over Myers at 3 on 3, but when your captain and defensive star is showing signs of fatigue, isn't going to get an all-star game break and you are on your 3rd game in 4 nights and 4th in 6 nights on the road, load management doesn't say rest your guy by putting him out 3 on 3 when you've already secured a point.

I can see at this stage of the season Tocchet looking for times to give Hughes some rest.

2. Myers is actually a decent skater and what people criticize him for is mostly his decision making. There aren't as many decisions to make in 3 on 3 hockey as there are at 5 on 5. It is a simpler game, especially the way it is played now as almost entirely a possession game. Maybe Myers might be better suited for 3 on 3 than 5 on 5.

3. Myers has actually been playing pretty well.

Ok, I'll grant you that Myers on his best day isn't going to be as good 3 on 3 as Hughes, but I don't think playing Myers 3 on 3 is nearly as bad as people seem to think. I see no reason at 3 on 3 to play Zadorov, Soucy or Cole ahead of him, so the real issue is how much to depend on your 2 guys who have been logging workhouse minutes most of the season.

If Tocchet wants to exercise some load management in that way, I don't have a problem with it. He's earned some credibility and presumably he's doing it for a reason, whether we know what his reasoning is or not.

That's a fair assessment. Not everything I'd agree with but it's totally fair.

Maybe Myers will score an OT goal to show em who's boss.

Then let out his warcry: MAXIMUM CHAOS!!!

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The lotto line was not on my Bingo card this season.

Miller refuses to shoot the puck when he has a linemate sitting at 2 goals. Just lives to create hattricks.

Joshua not good on the late tying goal

Hughes couple bobbles, but still a beast.

Good game for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2