Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 2-1 (OT) (Pettersson, Miller) | Crowned!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He just seemed to totally lose it for a month or so and was skating in mud, healthy scratched a couple times … and then has flicked a switch in the last 4 or 5 games and looks back to early season form.

You wonder if he was carrying an injury? Or got a wake-up call? Or was just worn out and some games off and load management refreshed him?

Hey btw nice job in scouting out Soucy for us, that was a great find.
:thumbu:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hronek is fuggin volatile, and really doesn't provide any goal scoring.

With Kuz and Bo traded, that's a lot of goals that haven't been replaced, regardless of overall season stats. Team badly needs a winger upgrade, or playoffs is where the well will run dry.

Reactions: Indiana

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Soucy got some dirt on every Canuck D-Man. They don’t put a foot wrong when he’s in the lineup.

Are you saying that the ENTIRE orca defense corps, all of them, have OnlyFans account?

I find that hard to believe. I mean if Hronek got one ok sure, if Hughes also got one alright that might be a bit of a stretch but ALL of them? Come now surely you jest.
:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: DimitriL07

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I dunno what it is about Carson Soucy, but when he's playing our entire d-core is about 60% more effective at defending

I mean if you think about it, we have him, Hughes and Hronek as our Top 3 D, lose any one of them and that's 33% of our most effective d corps missing which will always be felt.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
lol.jpg

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Excellent performance against a ridiculous system. Outchanced/outworked/outpossessed them and deserved the win, even if dumb fans here were whining about the entirety of the first 40 minutes.

- Carson Soucy is really good. What a stabilizing influence he was tonight. Huge addition.

- love Juulsen’s heart but in tight games like this mistakes get magnified and when we did struggle tonight most of it was with that pairing on the ice.

- Demko made one incredible save … but I’m struggling to remember another tough save off a Grade A chance tonight? Outside of 1 or 2 shifts this was a very solid defensive performance.

- Pettersson in the last 40 minutes was the best he looked in a month, scored a big-time goal in a big-time situation and hopefully this is the start of bigger/better things.

- thought Boeser was better than Miller tonight which doesn’t happen often, competed well and won puck battles. Encouraging performance.

- Mikheyev had a couple better shifts in the 3rd but he’s just a mess and simply can’t be on the top 2 lines. Crazy how mental this sport is - looked like a completely different player last year playing on 1 leg.

- Lindholm wasn’t ‘good’ but did skate and engage a bit better than previously.

- Garland/Blueger/Lafferty all did a ton of quality grunt work tonight. Podkolzin wasn’t bad again.

- Hughes was just terrific. His best game in a while.
Agree with everything except I was higher on Miller's game. He was hustling all over the ice and causing constant issues for LA's defence with his forecheck. Great to see EP hopefully wakeup from his slump. Team is more complete with Joshua.

Also, reading the game day thread when I am on delay (but know we will tie it up) is hilarious. 20 people claiming the season is lost lol

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Agree with everything except I was higher on Miller's game. He was hustling all over the ice and causing constant issues for LA's defence with his forecheck. Great to see EP hopefully wakeup from his slump. Team is more complete with Joshua.

Also, reading the game day thread when I am on delay (but know we will tie it up) is hilarious. 20 people claiming the season is lost lol

Look at it this way: if we win, we drink; if we lose, we drink. Either way we're getting shitfaced.
200.gif

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Are we certain that is actually Soucy? I had read here on HFCanucks that he had passed away.

Given he was in the hands of Canucks medical staff for weeks on end, I thought that was a credible report.

I guess miracles do happen.

Reactions: LordBacon

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Great road win. 1st wasn't great but that second period, man did we cave them in with pressure. I thought we deserved this one, Kings had very few scoring chances all night and Demko stoned one of them.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Excellent performance against a ridiculous system. Outchanced/outworked/outpossessed them and deserved the win, even if fans here were whining about the entirety of the first 40 minutes.

- Carson Soucy is really good. What a stabilizing influence he was tonight. Huge addition.

- love Juulsen’s heart but in tight games like this mistakes get magnified and when we did struggle tonight most of it was with that pairing on the ice.

- Demko made one incredible save … but I’m struggling to remember another tough save off a Grade A chance tonight? Outside of 1 or 2 shifts this was a very solid defensive performance.

- Pettersson in the last 40 minutes was the best he looked in a month, scored a big-time goal in a big-time situation and hopefully this is the start of bigger/better things.

- thought Boeser was better than Miller tonight which doesn’t happen often, competed well and won puck battles. Encouraging performance.

- Mikheyev had a couple better shifts in the 3rd but he’s just a mess and simply can’t be on the top 2 lines. Crazy how mental this sport is - looked like a completely different player last year playing on 1 leg.

- Lindholm wasn’t ‘good’ but did skate and engage a bit better than previously.

- Garland/Blueger/Lafferty all did a ton of quality grunt work tonight. Podkolzin wasn’t bad again.

- Hughes was just terrific. His best game in a while.
Really odd review today, I feel you’re not giving lindholm or jt enough credit tonight.

That being said, everybody has the rights to their own opinions, all good there, but the first sentence not needed, taking shots at the fans for no reason.

even the coach himself said it was a fine and meh first period so I don’t get the whining comment when almost everybody was pointing out, we were struggling against that system.

I agree with pretty much the rest though.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very good all round effort with no passengers. Best team game in a while and big step up from the last LA and the Anaheim games. Not error free but a step in puttting back together the game they showed through out much of the season.

Good

Hughes - outstanding in zone exits and controlling the game from the back. Just elite when he plays like this. Only thing he needs is an improved shot from the outside. (Can he get to 100 point mark?)

Boeser - to me that the was one of his best games of the season and better than in games where he has popped in some goals. His puck movement was outstanding. Made tape to tape (and sometimes right across the zone) passes to open teammates continually. Hustled on defense and good in transition getting the puck out of his zone. He had it going on tonite as the set up on the OT goal showed

Demko - the one save in the start of the third is as good as he's made all season. That one will be shown in the highlight reels and such. Team played well enough to keep puck down ice a lot but Demko was a key to the win.

Hoglander - I think the most improved player on the team (some would say Joshua but I think he had less distance to go) . Has come a long ways in his overall game. Understanding so much better his positioning and makes much better plays along the boards at his blueline. Couple of times he filled for the defense very well in critical situations (something you never saw last season) Looking more and more like a top 6 forward.

Lafferty - best he's skated in a while. Got in heavy on the forcheck and was the best on his line in maintaining puck possession in the offensive end. Noticed him out late which showed coaches recognized he was on his game.

Didn't think there was anyone who looked bad. Juulsen with a few hiccups and Hronek had the sequence were he got all tangled up leading to the first goal but both of them were not bad overall.

Others

Mikheyev - probably can't be on your top line but skated well in this game and played both ways hard.

Soucy - nothing spectacular but used his stick well to break up plays and moved the puck quickly up. Sort of understated game but this defense is better with him around.

Lindholm - kind of gulped when he got hurt and was glad to see him back for trade purposes. Thought he was better in this game and moved better off puck. The idea of him being brought in early to get in tune with the team may have merit. Didn't look as much trying to figure things out in this game. Given his reputation has to be more to his game tham we have seen so far, but not bad in this game.

Pettersson - no shortage of effort and he scored a very important goal. Yet still seems slow in moving the puck and creating more problems for himself than he needs to. Just get the feeling that he not reaching where he could be and you keep hoping for the him to emerge more like the superstar he seemingly could be.

LA is going to be tough in the playoffs. They have Kempe out and he's the type that would be huge in games like this. Their defense on paper doesn't seem that strong but right now they are playing, as a team, very good defense. Really like Brandt Clarke.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Very good all round effort with no passengers. Best team game in a while and big step up from the last LA and the Anaheim games. Not error free but a step in puttting back together the game they showed through out much of the season.

Good

Hughes - outstanding in zone exits and controlling the game from the back. Just elite when he plays like this. Only thing he gets is an improved shot from the outside. (Can he get to 100 point mark?)

Boeser - to me that the was one of his best games of the season and better than in games where he has popped in some goals. His puck movement was outstanding. Made tape to tape (and sometimes right across the zone) to open teammates continually. Hustled on defense and good in transition getting the puck out of his zone. He had it going on tonite as the set up on the OT goal showed

Demko - the one save in the start of the third is as good as he's made all season. That one will be shown in the highlight reels and such. Team played well enough to keep puck down ice a lot but Demko was a key to the win.

Hoglander - I think the most improved player on the team (some would say Joshua but I think he had less distance to go) . Has come a long ways in his overall game. Understanding so much better his positioning and makes much better plays along the boards at his blueline. Couple of times he filled for the defense very well in critical situations (something you never saw last season) Looking more and more like a top 6 forward.

Lafferty - best he's skated in a while. Got in heavy on the forcheck and was the best on his line in maintaining puck possession in the offensive end. Noticed him out late which showed coaches recognized he was on his game.

Didn't think there was anyone who looked bad. Juulsen with a few hiccups and Hronek had the sequence were he got all tangled up leading to the first goal but both of them were not bad overall.

Others

Mikheyev - probably can't be on your top line but skated well in this game and played both ways hard.

Soucy - nothing spectacular but used his stick well to break up plays and moved the puck quickly up. Sort of understated game but this defense is better with him around.

Lindholm - kind of gulped when he got hurt and was glad to see him back for trade purposes. Thought he was better in this game and moved better off puck. The idea of him being brought in early to get in tune with the team may have merit. Didn't look as much trying to figure things out in this game. Given his reputation has to be more to his game tham we have seen so far, but not bad in this game.

Pettersson - no shortage of effort and he scored a very important goal. Yet still seems slow in moving the puck and creating more problems for himself than he needs to. Just get the feeling that he not reaching where he could be and you keep hoping for the him to emerge more like the superstar he seemingly could be.

LA is going to be tough in the playoffs. They have Kempe out and he's the type that would be huge in games like this. Their defense on paper doesn't seem that strong but right now they are playing, as a team, very good defense. Really like Brandt Clarke.
Absolutely fantastic review.

Well written out, agree with pretty much everything

Reactions: quat and Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well that was an excruciating game to watch......it was like the Kings were in a prevent defense in football. They just fell back and packed five players between the their own blueline and the red-line.

Kings fans were apoplectic......but what are you going to do.? Canuck d-men were standing in their own zone with no puck pressure at all. At least it made the line changes simple.

According to Tomlinson in the booth, it's a 1-3-1 defensive system. But whatever it is, it otta' be banned like an illegal zone defense in basketball.

Most satisfying thing about tonight's game is that the Kings weren't rewarded in the end. But if that's a preview of the upcoming playoff games, then it might be time to hit the golf course early.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024

Seems like he's the only dman on the team that breaks up plays at our blueline consistently. Everyone else just lets the opponent enter the zone unimpeded.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really odd review today, I feel you’re not giving lindholm or jt enough credit tonight.

That being said, everybody has the rights to their own opinions, all good there, but the first sentence not needed, taking shots at the fans for no reason.

even the coach himself said it was a fine and meh first period so I don’t get the whining comment when almost everybody was pointing out, we were struggling against that system.

I agree with pretty much the rest though.

Lindholm had a bit more jump in the 2nd period but it was another game with zeros across the scoresheet, 0 SOG, no scoring chances. Like I said, a bit better … but not ‘good’.

I didn’t say anything about Miller, just that I thought Boeser was better.

1st was ‘ok’ but hardly a travesty, 2nd and 3rd were excellent. Very similar to the Boston game which was another excellent performance that people complained about almost the whole way through because they can’t separate who is winning the game from whether the team is playing well.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Got a little lucky early in the 3rd, when LA rang one of the bar and missed an open net chance, but I really like how Van carried the play for the last 2 periods. After the 1st, I was worried Van would get out-pressured and out-worked again, but they flipped the script and took over the possession game. Nice win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad