Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Isles - 4-3 (OT) | Oh New Captain, My New Captain!

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Some yikes moments on the defensive side with the giveaways, but overall felt like our 5v5 generated some great chances and our powerplay was cooking. Once they went up 2-0 it felt like we carried most of the play. The game could have gone either way, especially if Anders Lee cheesed that last chance from under Demko's pad, but thankfully Cole redeemed his earlier penalties by sweeping it off the line. And Demko made some monster saves himself.

Our top end is so hilariously elite. Hronek is *quietly* on an 11-game point streak. The top 3 in NHL scoring, you ask? No it's not the Oilers, it's 3 Vancouver Canucks. The ride is so much fun right now.

Hope Kuzmenko is okay, but as long as it didn't hit his eyes I'm not too worried. Our lines look so much more balanced when he's around so I hope he's not out for long

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
To be fair, he'd gush about a 4th line grinder, and say that the 4th line grinder is better than he ever was.

another-triumph-simpsons.gif

Reactions: Petey O

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game so often seems to come down to the Big Two - Miller and Hughes. That goal in OT was probably the nicest goal of the season.

Good

Miller - got to be in the MVP discussions along with Hughes. Simply carrying people every game. Very clever move on the winner.

Hughes - playing huge minutes and the backbone, both ways, for the defense. Buried the puck well in OT. Some of the forwards should shoot so well.

Hronek - 5 on 5 was on for as much time as Hughes. Like Hughes has so much ability to stretch the defense with his passing and puck movement. Showed off his shot in this one and might be a consideration for the first PP unit.

Myers - has been on a good run lately. Solid in his own zone and packing the puck better. Last series of games a have been among his best as a Canuck. Too bad about Soucy since those two were really starting to gel. However in this one Myers did fine without him.

Garland - from goal crease to goal crease, he is in the play. If he can ever get with someone he can play off of, he should start getting some goals and points. Hopefully can work well with Blueger

Not Good

Juulsen - so flatfooted around his net. Must be something in the system better than him.

Hoglander - no flow in his play. Stop and start - always seems to be catching up to the play in defensive transition. Doesn't keep on the defensive side of his man or the play well enough and ends up pawing for the puck from behind the play in the hopes of getting an offensive chance. Plays in spurts and you have to wonder whether his overall skating is NHL caliber.

Others

Boeser - thought he looked cumbersome in this game but ends up with three points. Not sure he should be playing in OT. If the right trade came around, I'd think of trading him. Given his stats might return the defenseman the team needs

Blueger - at least getting chances although did little with them. Right now would rate Suter ahead of him but Blueger obviously needs more time. Like others did well on the face offs.

Demko - making some over-reactive plays around the net and ending up flopping around. Not as composed or steady as he was earlier in the season. Very close to giving away the game with his late game handling of the puck. Not sure what he was thinking but there is a lack of calmness in his play.

Seems to be near every year we have to cover up for injuries to the defense. In some cases, the d-man situation was simply ridiculous with 2/3 of the defense being callups. Team missed Soucy tonite and will as they move ahead.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Game so often seems to come down to the Big Two - Miller and Hughes. That goal in OT was probably the nicest goal of the season.

Good

Miller - got to be in the MVP discussions along with Hughes. Simply carrying people every game. Very clever move on the winner.

Hughes - playing huge minutes and the backbone, both ways, for the defense. Buried the puck well in OT. Some of the forwards should shoot so well.

Hronek - 5 on 5 was on for as much time as Hughes. Like Hughes has so much ability to stretch the defense with his passing and puck movement. Showed off his shot in this one and might be a consideration for the first PP unit.

Myers - has been on a good run lately. Solid in his own zone and packing the puck better. Last series of games a have been among his best as a Canuck. Too bad about Soucy since those two were really starting to gel. However in this one Myers did fine without him.

Garland - from goal crease to goal crease, he is in the play. If he can ever get with someone he can play off of, he should start getting some goals and points. Hopefully can work well with Blueger

Not Good

Juulsen - so flatfooted around his net. Must be something in the system better than him.

Hoglander - no flow in his play. Stop and start - always seems to be catching up to the play in defensive transition. Doesn't keep on the defensive side of his man or the play well enough and ends up pawing for the puck from behind the play in the hopes of getting an offensive chance. Plays in spurts and you have to wonder whether his overall skating is NHL caliber.

Others

Boeser - thought he looked cumbersome in this game but ends up with three points. Not sure he should be playing in OT. If the right trade came around, I'd think of trading him. Given his stats might return the defenseman the team needs

Blueger - at least getting chances although did little with them. Right now would rate Suter ahead of him but Blueger obviously needs more time. Like others did well on the face offs.

Demko - making some over-reactive plays around the net and ending up flopping around. Not as composed or steady as he was earlier in the season. Very close to giving away the game with his late game handling of the puck. Not sure what he was thinking but there is a lack of calmness in his play.

Seems to be near every year we have to cover up for injuries to the defense. In some cases, the d-man situation was simply ridiculous with 2/3 of the defense being callups. Team missed Soucy tonite and will as they move ahead.
stars were obviously the MVPs (and i disagree on your boeser take for this game, thought he was fine), but joshua deserves mention - drew 2 penalties and played hard at evens. it's what we need out of him every night playing heavy and drawing retaliation calls.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
But realistically, Horvat was nothing more than a cap casualty. Once they signed Miller, Horvat had to go.....otherwise the Canucks would have lost him for nothing as a UFA.
Which would have been drawn up as the perfect plan by Jimbo. Hell he would have found a way to throw in a draft pick just for shts.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Honestly been thinking about it, Miller is getting but IMO not enough credit for what he's done this season. Very, very impressed with how he's been this year.

Me when Canucks win:

"I love hockey!" - Kanye West, The Love Guru

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Take the 2 points! On another note, I forgive Horvat. I was mad at his comments but he was probably just emotional. I can see him not being happy with how management valued him.

Reactions: Indiana and bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad