Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Isles - 4-3 (OT) | Oh New Captain, My New Captain!

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I got a lot of thoughts on the game I'm going to write out, but man...being in the US and being forced to watch the TNT version of the telecast was brutal.

Normally I have ESPN+ so I can switch to Shorty & Sportsnet, but it was the focus of Wednesday night hockey here so my ears were bleeding listening to Darren Pang spout nonsense alongside the rest of the crew.

Thomlinson might be weak compared to Garret, but holy moly it's no wonder hockey isn't popular out here with this kind of production quality. #99's analysis alongside Keith Yandle was just as brutal in the pregame show.

Also Horvat's comments from last year are absolutely hilarious given the opposite directions the franchises are heading :laugh: He clearly loved being here but wanted that bag (can never really hold creating generational wealth for your family against someone), but now is stuck in a pretty bad spot while this team is clearly flying out there.
1st time watching a TNT game but I actually really enjoyed the change of pace.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I've watched basically every Willander game and I'm really skeptical he can provide major surplus value on his ELC.

I'd move him in an extreme circumstance (i.e. Mark Stone trade).
Honestly, I trust our FO. If they decide that trading Willander for a guy that fits the age of the core, or even just brings high level play and puts this team over the edge over the next 3~ years, I am all for it.

Have to make moves that hurt if you want a shot at winning the cup, especially when the best d-man in franchise history is on a sweetheart contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If there was ever any debate about the Canucks decision to sign Miller to a long extension instead of Horvat, it should have been dispelled by tonight's game.

Horvat got a goal, but Miller was playing like a man possessed.....and his sweet feed to Hughes for the OT winner was a thing of beauty.

In the interviews later, Horvat stated that he was frustrated with the way things went in his final months in Vancouver. But realistically, Horvat was nothing more than a cap casualty. Once they signed Miller, Horvat had to go.....otherwise the Canucks would have lost him for nothing as a UFA.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I love this team. Not sure how far back in the archives you have to go to find me saying that. A decade plus.

king-ross-the-end-is-nigh.gif

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Once they signed Miller, Horvat had to go.....otherwise the Canucks would have lost him for nothing as a UFA.

Agreed. Also, you could say Horvat was a victim of his own production. The Canucks had the cap space to sign Horvat at around $6-7 million, which would be what he's worth based on his prior historical production. He's basically a 25-30g, 60 point guy. Last season's 31g and 54 points in 49 games really messed up the plans.

But turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This team would be terrible with Horvat on the roster, and that's not a knock at him.

Reactions: MS and Indiana

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so did anyone else notice that wahlstrom has the same slow reaction issue as hoglander? they both had great chances but cannot seem to anticipate or adjust and execute on unexpected pucks. i think it's not a question of not processing the game generally, it's specifically a question of reaction time to sudden opportunities. on the one hand i think hoglander is so close to breaking out but watching wahlstrom struggle the same way i wonder if they ever will.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The powerplay still misses Bo. He was the best at entries, and didn't fugg around with anything, just whipped that puck on net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad