GDT: Canucks @ Blue Jackets | 1 PM EST

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would like to ask Elvis, for how many other teams in the NHL would you beat out their #1 goalie?

He could say roughly half, and I think that would be about right based on this year's play.

But being Elvis, expect a wilder comment than that.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Every year it seems this organization needs a whipping boy…….its always this or that player has a bad attitude/wants out. At some point (24 yr threshold?), doesn’t it become an organizational problem???

Reactions: MAHJ71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If severson Laine or gaudreau hate him they need to take another look at their bank accounts
Well, Jarmo is probably about to make one of them his next whipping boy for underperforming a contract and making him look bad once he eliminates Elvis.

He'll burn it all to the ground if we let him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Provy badly positioned there but why is Peeke the one going for the puck in Provy’s corner? They were both at the same height in the zone. Is that part of the system or was he being dumb?

That’s one of our main D zone issues though is even when we have more guys in a scrum, somehow we never come away with the puck. It’s pathetic.

That’s literally 50% of the reason for that goal. I’ve read IDK how many comments and nobody seems to realize that Provorov was just getting ready to breakout of the zone giving an option to pass to behind the net. Problem is we didn’t actually gain good clean possession of the puck yet. Bemstrom was in a good position and jumped into the corner for no reason. A huge issue is the lack of communication between our players.
At what point are the people coaching the defensive system held accountable?

Surely Provorov is smart enough to know not to leave someone wide open camped out in front of the net so I must assume our D has been instructed to not pay attention to those areas and drift out of position on a consistent basis.
Consistently losing faceoffs and “battles” all over the ice isn’t on the coaches. The OVERLY defensive, lack of aggression in the defensive zone that IS clearly a directive from the coaching staff IS also a problem, but only half of it. This same group of players couldn’t execute Larsen’s apparent system either because it was too complex for them, so it had to be simplified.

But, losing puck battles and leaving people alone in front is the problem and the coaches can’t do anything about it. YOU GUYS ARE INSANE OF YOU DONT THINK THESE THINGS ARE ON THE PLAYERS. It just goes to show, they are being told to play an overly defensive way, and they STILL make all these terrible decisions and have all these breakdowns that lack both adequate communication and execution between and from the CBJ players.

I’ve read close to 10 posts and saw a link to Mark Scheig asking who Provorov was “defending” on that goal. While Provorov has IMO consistently shown HE ISN’T a smart enough player to make simple decisions and isn’t actually a good defender, the problem here isn’t his actual “defending”, it’s his simple decision making, that he and the majority of this group of players have shown are not good at, over and over.

Overall I guess I know now why people blame the coaching, if they think people are being instructed to leave people wide open in front of the net.

Or the media? Why aren’t they asking lots of questions about the defense?
Because they wouldn’t understand the answers.

To be clear, they don’t ask ANY questions about ANYTHING important.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Im sure some will be upset about Elvis' comments as usual but I love it. Stick it to the guys who clearly havent had your back. Hope the dude excels wherever he plays
This is crazy and crazy it got any likes.

f*** the dude.

It’s crazy that he’s being looked at and treated so positively by so many CBJ fans right now as if he’s being treated so terribly or done ANYTHING to bring the team success in ANY way, and from what it sounds like he has actually had a negative impact on the team overall over his entire tenure with the team.

Is he the reason Jones didn’t want to re-sign?? I could see it.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And for whatever has been reports that there are some in the locker room with a problem with Elvis, I saw a group of guys that looked happy for him on the ice after the game was over.

Maybe those who have a problem with him are Jarmo's golden children.
“Jarmos golden children”

What or who could that even mean??

Something else you can watch is after the stretch of saves Elvis made at the very end of the 1st period, he’s still down on the ice making saves as the horn goes off, and while Boqvist is there in the crease naturally from the play, the other 4 guys casually skate off the ice without acknowledging Elvis in any way.

Who are his golden children? I just assumed all the players despise him
DING DING

We finally have a winner

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This is crazy and crazy it got any likes.

f*** the dude.

It’s crazy that he’s being looked at and treated so positively by so many CBJ fans right now as if he’s being treated so terribly or done ANYTHING to bring the team success in ANY way, and from what it sounds like he has actually had a negative impact on the team overall over his entire tenure with the team.

Is he the reason Jones didn’t want to re-sign?? I could see it.
So Elvis helped get us Jiricek/Sillinger/Boqvist? Looks like another feather in his cap

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That's a valid question but I saw happy people celebrating with him on the ice today. I don't know who. I couldn't see numbers from my spot but I certainly suspect Jarmo plays favorites. Not the reaction you'd expect from most of the team if they despised the guy.

Are they supposed to not come out and celebrate the win?? Again, look back at his stretch of saves at the end of the 1st.

I meant I assumed all the players despise Jarmo
Haha nevermind, YOU LOSE!!

Do people think the reports of his teammates not liking him is BS??

Or is it just that it’s gotten to the point where the team doesn’t care to hide it or defend him anymore??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So Elvis helped get us Jiricek/Sillinger/Boqvist? Looks like another feather in his cap
Well he helped us lose, so Fantilli also, and anybody else drafted high.

I’m still pissed about that trade. Nobody questions why Jones seemingly abruptly didn’t want to re-sign. Chicago WAS NOT looked at as some “contender”.

Don’t get me started on Jiricek and the return.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well he helped us lose, so Fantilli also, and anybody else drafted high.

I’m still pissed about that trade. Nobody questions why Jones seemingly abruptly didn’t want to re-sign. Chicago WAS NOT looked at as some “contender”.

Don’t get me started on Jiricek and the return.
We've had these discussions 500 times but most people have the ability to move on.

Might aswell start on Jiricek and the return, you are on a roll so just get it all out at this point

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We've had these discussions 500 times but most people have the ability to move on.

Might aswell start on Jiricek and the return, you are on a roll so just get it all out at this point
Well why do people want to talk about or focus on all the little different details on the decisions of why any other high profile player decided to leave, or what’s wrong behind the scenes in the organization, OTHER THAN the Seth Jones decision?? It was a pretty MONUMENTAL decision and crossroads for the team/organization, that has not shown to lead them into a good direction, from the trade itself.

The only discussions we’ve had about it are shut down almost immediately and are told to move on because fans are so “butt hurt” about his decision, that’s why we’ve NEVER looked into why he made the decision.
Especially when he made it seem like he would re-sign.

The return/players drafted weren’t an adequate replacement and very well never may be. People have overrated Sillinger since he was drafted simply because their feelings were hurt by Jones. Mateychuk is the better prospect/player and I would trade Jiricek and Sillinger back for Jones right now. Boqvist can go for anybody that can play center.

Give me:

Werenski-Jones
Mateychuk-Severson
Gudbranson

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Well why do people want to talk about or focus on all the little different details on the decisions of why any other high profile player decided to leave, or what’s wrong behind the scenes in the organization, OTHER THAN the Seth Jones decision?? It was a pretty MONUMENTAL decision and crossroads for the team/organization, that has not shown to lead them into a good direction, from the trade itself.

The only discussions we’ve had about it are shut down almost immediately and told to move on because fans are so “butt hurt” about his decision, that’s we’ve NEVER looked into why he mad the decision.

The return/players drafted weren’t an adequate replacement and very well never may be. Mateychuk is the better prospect/player and I would trade Jiricek and Sillinger back for Jones right now.
Never change, bus. Please keep posting nuclear-grade crank takes like this forever.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

The only discussions we’ve had about it are shut down almost immediately and told to move on because fans are so “butt hurt” about his decision, that’s we’ve NEVER looked into why he mad the decision.

The return/players drafted weren’t an adequate replacement and very well never may be. Mateychuk is the better prospect/player and I would trade Jiricek and Sillinger back for Jones right now.
Since acquirung Jones Chicago would have drafted 6th and 1st while being 2nd last this year. Obviously not all on Jones but like would be the case here he wouldnt be the difference between bad and good.

Also I dont know if you have a bad taste on Jiricek because he was part of that deal or because we have a braindead management group that feels the need to rush top prospects but I wouldnt be so quick to judge Jiricek in that way. I feel like most of us knew there was some extra development time needed and better done elsewhere like the AHL where he belongs. If he was in the CHL like Mateychuk he would destroy that league and look out of place in a good way.We'll see how much the team can work with him and improve his skating but once they get that sorted and he continues to fill out watch out. He has very real 1D upside regardless of how he looks when rushed into the lineup on a bad team.

Trading veterans for picks isnt going to lead to immediate positive impact. Jiricek still has sky high upside, Sillinger and Boqvist have shown serious growth lately. We also have Bean who I dont care much about but youve always seemed to be a fan of

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
1705411908143.gif

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Since acquirung Jones Chicago would have drafted 6th and 1st while being 2nd last this year. Obviously not all on Jones but like would be the case here he wouldnt be the difference between bad and good.
I really don’t know about that. Genuinely. I mean, I don’t know about your feelings on it, but many people seemed to think the Provorov/Severson additions would do just that. And just to give my 2c, I think people have been too high on Provorov until very recently, and been too low on Severson most of the year. I think Werensk and Severson are much closer to value/skill/impact etc than many acknowledge. But it’s also a PROBLEM how similar they are, in regards to them as a pair, IMO.

The “holes” at center and goalie that would possibly hypothetically still exist shouldn’t be on Jones in this scenario. Look at his cap hit and (apparent) play in relation to the high salary players for CBJ currently. I’d take him over any of Werenski/Gaudreau/Laine.

Also I dont know if you have a bad taste on Jiricek because he was part of that deal or because we have a braindead management group that feels the need to rush top prospects but I wouldnt be so quick to judge Jiricek in that way. I feel like most of us knew there was some extra development time needed and better done elsewhere like the AHL where he belongs. If he was in the CHL like Mateychuk he would destroy that league and look out of place in a good way.We'll see how much the team can work with him and improve his skating but once they get that sorted and he continues to fill out watch out. He has very real 1D upside regardless of how he looks when rushed into the lineup on a bad team.

I have a bad taste in my mouth because Jones was a LEGIT Norris-level defenseman. It’s fascinating how everybody gets the excuse for playing on a SHIT TEAM, the second Jones leaves the team, no? It’s almost like him leaving had a huge impact on that, and not only was he not excused for playing with the players he had to play with that are still around, it was actually held against him.

I REALLY don’t know if Jiricek has that potential. If he does, we are talking so far down the line. He does NOT think the game quick enough to make up for his skating. He also obviously does need to add strength and “fill out”, but do we know if his skating/quickness will actually IMPROVE with added strength/mass?? Very doubtful.

Mateychuk is the better player, right now, no matter what league. Severson is also much better and really makes me question the “need” for Jiricek or maybe he’s somebody they can dangle to teams for an ACTUAL CENTER.

Trading veterans for picks isnt going to lead to immediate positive impact. Jiricek still has sky high upside, Sillinger and Boqvist have shown serious growth lately. We also have Bean who I dont care much about but youve always seemed to be a fan of
“Sky high upside” and “serious growth” are just words/semantics. And I think on a different team, Bean and Boqvist and many other guys, could be more effective/valuable on a different team. We still have like 80% offensive minded defenders, and while Bean is more defensive than most the others, is still apart of that group. He’s a good 3rd pairing D, I’m gonna back off saying he has “top 4” upside, like all the crazy nonsense said about Peeke over the last few years from some people.

For all 3 of these guys, it’s more so their fit with the other current players of the team that is a problem, not so much them as individuals. ALL 3, were absolutely rushed into the NHL, and THAT IS an entire issue of its own, but I’m not a person who really abides by the idea of “ruining” a players “development” by rushing them into the NHL. They are either “ready” or they aren’t. And they can show CONSISTENT “potential” or “flashes” or they don’t.

We’re at how many years of losing/“rebuilding”/retooling” now? And we’re supposed to wait even more for Jiricek/Sillinger and some goalie in the KHL still to be ready?

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I really don’t know about that. Genuinely. I mean, I don’t know about your feelings on it, but many people seemed to think the Provorov/Severson additions would do just that. And just to give my 2c, I think people have been too high on Provorov until very recently, and been too low on Severson most of the year. I think Werensk and Severson are much closer to value/skill/impact etc than many acknowledge. But it’s also a PROBLEM how similar they are, in regards to them as a pair, IMO.

The “holes” at center and goalie that would possibly hypothetically still exist shouldn’t be on Jones in this scenario. Look at his cap hit and (apparent) play in relation to the high salary players for CBJ currently. I’d take him over any of Werenski/Gaudreau/Laine.

I have a bad taste in my mouth because Jones was a LEGIT Norris-level defenseman. It’s fascinating how everybody gets the excuse for playing on a SHIT TEAM, the second Jones leaves the team, no? It’s almost like him leaving had a huge impact on that, and not only was he not excused for playing with the players he had to play with that are still around, it was actually held against him.

I REALLY don’t know if Jiricek had the potential. If he does, we are talking so far down the line. He does NOT think the game quick enough to make up for his skating. He also obviously does need to add strength and “fill out”, but do we know if his skating/quickness will actually IMPROVE with added strength/mass?? Very doubtful.

Mateychuk is the better player, right now, no matter what league. Severson is also much better and really makes me question the “need” for Jiricek or maybe he’s somebody they can dangle to teams for an ACTUAL CENTER.

“Sky high upside” and “serious growth” are just words/semantics. And I think on a different team, Bean and Boqvist and many other guys, could be more effective/valuable on a different team. We still have like 80% offensive minded defenders, and while Bean is more defensive than most the others, is still apart of that group. He’s a good 3rd pairing D, I’m gonna back off saying he has “top 4” upside, like all the crazy nonsense said about Peeke over the last few years from some people.

For all 3 of these guys, it’s more so their fit with the other current players of the team that is a problem, not so much them as individuals. ALL 3, were absolutely rushed into the NHL, and THAT IS an entire issue of its own, but I’m not a person who really abides by the idea of “ruining” a players “development” by rushing them into the NHL. They are either “ready” or they aren’t. And they can show CONSISTENT “potential” or “flashes” or they don’t.

Were at how many years of losing/“rebuilding”/retooling” now? And we’re supposed to wait even more for Jiricek/Sillinger and some goalie in the KHL still to be ready?
Words/semantics mean a great deal at 19/20 years old. Especially defensemen. I remember back when people complained about Hedman a future Hall of famer or even a lesser quality guy but someone we would absolutely love to have in Adam Larsson.

Atleast Seth Jones got to work with Trotz/Laviolette as his coach and work on a defensive unit that had Weber, Josi, Ellis and Ekholm. Pretty good situation to break into and learn from. Our guys are coming in in waves and its the blind leading the blind in many cases so it doesnt always look pretty.

We have had 3 years of actually bottoming out and rebuilding, it sucks, its annoying for a team that hasnt had much success but for an actual rebuild time frame its not bad. Our GM is trying to force our way out of it to save his job so it definitely puts us in a weird spot. I think he and fans have to be careful on who they give up on early or theyll be the 1st people yelling for heads to role if we had another Karlsson situation. Im fine if a couple guys have to go and we can get a clear noticeable upgrade to important positions but im in no rush to send a bunch of the kids packing just because

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
i think 2006-07 Adam Foote would really help this team, as would David Vyborny. Why did we get rid of Hitchcock?

Some of these conversations are ridiculous

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad