Sportsnet: Canucks arent interested in paying JT Miller more than 8mil per season. Trade is Looking more likely than extension this summer

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm glad Miller has found his stride but this dude ain't worth Stamkos/Draisaitl money at nearly 30 years old. And if he's dead set on it, he better go for like $8 million x 3 years then. That's not a bad payday at all

common12

Sep 10, 2011
Yeah I'm not saying it would have been top prospects like Schneider but 2 1sts + 2 recent 1st/2nd round prospects seems reasonable.
Oof i would be pissed if my team gave up 4 1st rounders value wise for a year and half of JT Miller. Pretty sure if that was the price thats why he wasn't moved.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Price IMO was pretty clearly 3 1st round assets to get in the conversation at the TDL

Something like a Grade A prospect, Young roster player with upside, 1st round pick and possibly another assest depending on the value of the other 3 assets

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Price IMO was pretty clearly 3 1st round assets to get in the conversation at the TDL

Something like a Grade A prospect, Young roster player with upside, 1st round pick and possibly another assest depending on the value of the other 3 assets
I think it was but now acquiring team may view it as a pure rental. Could see Colorado doing it if Kadri walk but I wouldn’t give up three assets for him

Reactions: kinghock

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Why does everything need to be 7 or 8 years? Bring back the good old 3 or 4 year contracts.

I agree, I'd rather overpay on a short term deal in this type of situation. 9m x 4 years is better than 8m x 8 years. Better to overpay $1m for 4 seasons, than what could be "market value for 3-4 years and then be vast overpayment before the end of contract.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
canucks are not winning the cup in the next 3 years, and tryna do it with a 34-38 year old Miller at big bucks seems unwise

i really hope they sell him for a nice return this summer.

Reactions: Szechwan
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Wonder if the Avs try to work out a deal for him this summer if the Canucks are looking at trading him. They're going to be cap strapped and in need of a 2C. Don't really think they have the assets to get it done, and also don't see them trying to re-sign him even if they do acquire him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Should have moved him this deadline, you guys had the chance to fleece the Leafs
2022 1st+Lilj+Knies+Engvall could have been yours
That would get Brock Boeser, maybe, not JT Miller :snide:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Should've traded him at the deadline at 50% for a small fortune then. Easily would've got more than Hagel.

There are some teams that might want him MORE in the off-season.

The Avs in example will likely lose Kadri, and don’t have cap space. Miller at 50% will be really enticing.

Sure, an extra playoff run may have fetched more, but it may not be that significant.

Reactions: byrath

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
What may have really played a role here is that the Canucks were really vying for a playoff spot around the TDL from a mathematical standpoint. Whether you gave them a good chance or not at actually contending is one thing, but they were riding a lot of momentum and were very much in the race.

This put more options on the table for the Canucks. They no longer "had" to trade Miller because at the time, they themselves had a vested interest in Miller's play for the rest of the year and they also may have thought if Miller keeps this up, they may want to take a real run at trying to resign him for themselves. They had more to consider at this point. Thus, any offer for Miller would've had to be real good to make them wipe all of the options off the table and trade Miller at this TDL.

They still have all of their options still remaining. If they end up trading Miller and it's theoretically less than what they could've had this TDL, the difference was still probably worth it to the Canucks to keep all options on the table for as long as they could. Keeping options open in order to make the best informed decision in the end, is still a cost many people are willing to make. Nothing wrong with that.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Curious, does anyone have any comparables for recent trades involving guys like Miller?

-Just turned 29
-1 year remaining at $5.2 before UFA
-Top 10 in NHL points
-LW/C/RW
-PK, PP

Seems rare that a guy like that gets moved. If Van decides they're willing to retain 50%, look out.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Lots of hindsight in here. We weren't going to trade him at the TDL just for the sake of it and give up on our season while we still had a reasonable chance. Not to mention the situation was much much stricter then in terms of cap space and extension options.

More money available, more teams interested, more time for extension discussion. Waiting was the right move. If there was an appropriate offer on the table at the TDL im sure Alvin would have taken it. This wasnt a Benning desperate for his job situation.

The players that got value at the TDL were very cheap role players with term. Everyone else got late &/or '23/'24 picks. Not what we're looking for.

A team like Colorado probably wants to figure out Kadri first, the Rangers have a bunch of extensions kicking in, Vegas (because theyre in on everyone) needs time to clear cap.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Lots of hindsight in here. We weren't going to trade him at the TDL just for the sake of it and give up on our season while we still had a reasonable chance. Not to mention the situation was much much stricter then in terms of cap space and extension options.

More money available, more teams interested, more time for extension discussion. Waiting was the right move. If there was an appropriate offer on the table at the TDL im sure Alvin would have taken it. This wasnt a Benning desperate for his job situation.

The players that got value at the TDL were very cheap role players with term. Everyone else got late &/or '23/'24 picks. Not what we're looking for.

A team like Colorado probably wants to figure out Kadri first, the Rangers have a bunch of extensions kicking in, Vegas (because theyre in on everyone) needs time to clear cap.
The Rangers don't have the room for a JT Miller extension.

How many teams have that space?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
When Sakic called & the Canucks (likely) demanded Byram or Newhook I think he balked. What were the Rangers giving up? Not Lafrienere, maybe not even Schneider or Kakko. Those were the 2 obvious places. Then who else was there? Toronto was reported to have called but what's their package look like? Not as good imo.

If there was a deal that involved multiple firsts, and better prospects (or atleast 1 that's NHL ready in it, ala Schneider - that's the biggest need in the deal for VAN) I think they would've taken it.

Its hard to say without knowing, but I don't think they wouldn't have moved him if a massive haul was offered.

From the reports going around, New York only wanted to give up Lundqvist while we were demanding Schneider. It just wasn't worth trading Miller for a package with Lundqvist as the main piece.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Miller's been great.
But he'll be 30 years old when that next contract starts.
With a slowly rising cap and teams committing so much coin to their young stars, the days of $8M year a year until you're 37 or 38 are coming to an end.
He might get
$8Mx4 - $32M
or $7,5x5 - $37,5M
Or $7x6. - $42M

So, say he takes the $8x4. That's $32M.
At 34 years old, what kind of contract does he get?
If he's great, probably $8.5x4
Sweet, now he's made $66M.

What if he slips? Probably $3.5x2.
So now he's down to $39.

What if he gets hurt and stumbles?
Maybe nothing?

Maybe he should wait. Penguins might be looking for a Malkin replacement
Chuck fletcher says hi (high)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Vancouver would likely be better next year than this year, so Miller would be smart to bet on himself again. He'd also be smart to be okay with waiting for free agency. There's a nice crop of non-playoff teams hungry to jump back into it. There will probably be money for Miller in a couple years too. I know this summer will be bonkers for that.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Curious, does anyone have any comparables for recent trades involving guys like Miller?

-Just turned 29
-1 year remaining at $5.2 before UFA
-Top 10 in NHL points
-LW/C/RW
-PK, PP

Seems rare that a guy like that gets moved. If Van decides they're willing to retain 50%, look out.

Probably the closest is Ryan O'Reilly. He was younger than Miller but had less points than him when he went to Buffalo from Colorado. Approximately the same salary, from what I remember he played all positions and both PP and PK at the time.

He garnered two recent 1st rounders in Grigorenko and Zadorov, a recent 2nd rounder in JT Compher and a 2nd round pick.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Ok so who is interested?

I've heard Columbus, NYR, Possibly Colorado (but they traded away Helleson and Barron) I guess Philly and Sanjose kind of make sense since they are trying to go for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad