Dreger: Canucks and Jets reject similar offers from Philly for Sanheim: Schmidt+ /Boeser+

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sanheim is not the guy Canucks need. Torts ripped him pretty bad at the end of the season for not being nearly good enough and having no consistency.

Don't know what happened to him, he looked very promising. Hopefully he can bounce back and rebuild his game.

Torts has a way with certain types of players. And by that, i mean he's completely unable to manage certain types of players who don't buy in to his approach of treating everyone like dogs. Either a player comes around to the "Torts way" or they have a terrible time and get pushed out. That's what it's always been.

I don't think Sanheim is an amazing player, but he's established himself as a pretty clear Top-4D with some solid offensive chops. If Vancouver could land Sanheim while unloading a salary like Boeser's, it'd be a win. I'm not even sure where he'd fit...not really a great match with either of Hughes or Hronek. But a good player nonethless. The issue is...that "+" was probably pretty significant.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Vancouver’s GM has figured out that you don’t sign long term contracts with non core players and you surely don’t acquire long term contracts on other teams letterhead… on these non core players those other teams want to offload onto you.

I think most of us hate 7-8 year deals. The CBA should cap deals at 5 years. As the NBA did. It would improve the sport. The players can then push for a higher salary cap floor to keep owners honest.
And best of all...more trades, rumors & signings

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
“one of the worst in the league.” Tell me you literally have never watched Sanheim play a single nhl game before last season, without telling me..
I've seen plenty of him over the years, including way back to his Hitmen days. Like many I was very high on him as a prospect, and for his first few years in the league, but ultimately I think myself and many others overhyped him a bit.

He's tall, but he's pretty soft, not much of a hitter at all, and pretty lanky. He's a great skater and very good puck mover, but not strong enough offensively to be on PP1. Defensively, he'll make a bunch of good plays, but is prone to some really brutal breakdowns, where he does things like screw up a pinch and get beat clean off the rush.

Overall, Sanheim now reminds me a lot of same-age Jake Gardiner. He's a legit 2nd pairing dman, probably worth ~$5 mill AAV today, but it's the 8 year, $6.25 mil AAV contract, with a full NTC then first 4 years (modified NTC the last 4) that's scary. That's sooooo much term for a 2nd pairing dman, who has significant holes/weakness in his game.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sanheim must be thrilled with Briere right now.

Trying to ship him to Winnipeg a week before his new NTC kicks in.

Reactions: me2 and Laus723

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If Briere was smart he would have moved Sanheim for future considerations and just got rid of the contract

Evergreen

At this point, the Flyers are probably better off just holding onto Sanheim and seeing if he can come up with an improved performance this season that makes him a more attractive trade piece. I personally think he's a very good defenseman and would have had good value in a world where most teams weren't so capped out, so perhaps he could be moved next offseason if he plays well this year.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Vancouver’s GM has figured out that you don’t sign long term contracts with non core players and you surely don’t acquire long term contracts on other teams letterhead… on these non core players those other teams want to offload onto you.

I think most of us hate 7-8 year deals. The CBA should cap deals at 5 years. As the NBA did. It would improve the sport. The players can then push for a higher salary cap floor to keep owners honest.
Revenue split is 50/50. The players dont care about the floor, only the owners who revenue share do.

Torts has a way with certain types of players. And by that, i mean he's completely unable to manage certain types of players who don't buy in to his approach of treating everyone like dogs. Either a player comes around to the "Torts way" or they have a terrible time and get pushed out. That's what it's always been.

I don't think Sanheim is an amazing player, but he's established himself as a pretty clear Top-4D with some solid offensive chops. If Vancouver could land Sanheim while unloading a salary like Boeser's, it'd be a win. I'm not even sure where he'd fit...not really a great match with either of Hughes or Hronek. But a good player nonethless. The issue is...that "+" was probably pretty significant.
Who knew players liked being treated like dogs. Torts is a favorite coach of a lot of players. They seem to respect that playing time is earned no matter who you are. The ones who don’t like him are the entitled babies.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Has Sanheim fallen off that much? His contact is scary but could be a bargain if a change of scenery helps him find his game again.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Has Sanheim fallen off that much? His contact is scary but could be a bargain if a change of scenery helps him find his game again.

Thats a 50 million dollar gamble.

and its not a "bargain" considering that Philly is still asking for assets in exchange for Sanheim.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Danny Briere is so hellbent on moving Travis Sanehim off his team, why is he looking to maximize his value?

If you want he and his contract gone that bad, wouldn't you just take any deal so long as it didn't hinder your team's cap?

I'm guessing the reason he wants Sanheim gone is the contract that was signed prior to him taking over. Not sure why he's looking for a "+" in these trade discussions.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Sanheim might be the best example of how the cap could effect value. If it were to hit 100m at some point in his contract? Yeah that's a good deal, if it stays where it is? Nope that's a bad deal, if it increases somewhere in between (this is the one) then it really depends on him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seeing things like this and the Laughton for a 1st + 2nd makes me wonder if Danny Briere understands the value of his team's players.
Did you see what he got for Provorov?

Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers

From LAK:
Cal Petersen · $5,000,000
Sean Walker · $2,650,000
Helge Grans · $0 (AHL/JR)
2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
From CBJ:
2023 1st round pick (LAK - #22 - Oliver Bonk)
2024 2nd round pick (CBJ) [Conditional]*

*Conditions: Columbus must decide after the 2024 first round is complete if they’re sending a 2024 2nd round pick or the 2025 2nd round pick to Philadelphia.

Sanheim might be the best example of how the cap could effect value. If it were to hit 100m at some point in his contract? Yeah that's a good deal, if it stays where it is? Nope that's a bad deal, if it increases somewhere in between (this is the one) then it really depends on him.

SEASONCONFIRMED% CHANGEUPPER LIMIT
Tooltip
LOWER LIMIT
Tooltip
MIN. SALARY
Tooltip
2025-26NHL Estimate5.14%$92,000,000$68,000,000$775,000
2024-25NHL Estimate4.79%$87,500,000$64,700,000$775,000
2023-24Jun. 23, 20231.21%$83,500,000$61,700,000$775,000

Fallen out with Torts is more like it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Not really. He has a history of solid top pair play. Last year, he was more of a second pair defenseman by performance. The contract isn't great because of the length and trade clause in the final four years. However, the cap hit is fine and he's a player who should age well.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:​

From LAK:
Sean Walker · $2,650,000
From CBJ:

*Conditions: Columbus must decide after the 2024 first round is complete if they’re sending a 2024 2nd round pick or the 2025 2nd round pick to Philadelphia.

Tooltip
LOWER LIMIT
Tooltip
MIN. SALARY
Tooltip

That's not a bad haul, but I would argue that what LA got in return was more valuable. (Cap space and roster space)

Helge Grans is looking like a bust who might turn it around into a 6th/7th defenseman.
Cal Peterson gives Philadelphia the option to trade Carter Hart.
Sean Walker gives Philly OK depth.

LA could make that trade because they have a loaded prospect pool and players ready to come in. AND it allowed them to make the PLD trade which is probably the biggest blockbuster of the summer.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They should talk to Calgary, because the Flames are in need of prisoners long-term options in key areas due to the expected exodus of many of their veteran UFAs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Revenue split is 50/50. The players dont care about the floor, only the owners who revenue share do.

Who knew players liked being treated like dogs. Torts is a favorite coach of a lot of players. They seem to respect that playing time is earned no matter who you are. The ones who don’t like him are the entitled babies.
The players will care because if they aren’t getting the security of 7-8 year deals then the NHL better force the bad teams to spend closer to the cap. Which will ensure more guys are getting paid. Should make the league more competitive too.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:​

From LAK:
Sean Walker · $2,650,000
From CBJ:

Tooltip
LOWER LIMIT
Tooltip
MIN. SALARY
Tooltip

Fallen out with Torts is more like it.
He didnt necessarily win or lose in this trade. He also got a huge Cap dump in return which requires big sweetners to get rid of. Lets break it down

Provorov

for

Grans
Walker
conditional 2nd
LA 2nd round pick

That looks like a fair trade as Provorov is an elite Dman and flyers get good prospect, conditional 2nd and an NHL player

Cal Peterson (cap dump)
LA 1st

for

nothing

Again a fair trade since Cal petersson requires a mid 1st round pick to dump as a minimum and maybe Philly could have asked for more considering the contract and terms.

When you break it down like this, it wasn't a huge win for Philly since they got a huge cap dump but it was a good trade for them as the cap dump wont affect the future that much but the return they got is fair. As in if this trade in a vacuum is fair.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

That's absolutely bogus. :laugh: That's not how Torts runs his bench whatsoever.

There are a lot of players who do respond well to that sort of coaching. He gets a lot out of certain types of players with a particular sort of demeanor. But it's a "my way or the highway" sort of thing, where everywhere he goes, you see examples of players who just didn't "buy in" to his way of running a bench, and it's a very black and white thing. There's not really any room for middleground or meeting halfway with Torts coaching style.

So you get cases like Sanheim, who just absolutely crater in their play under his style of coaching. Calling anyone who doesn't thrive under Torts awful coaching style "entitled babies" is so far out of alignment with the reality of the matter. Plenty of extremely hard-working players have been obliterated by his one-note coaching style. The most blatant example of that for me, is having watched the way Torts completely destroyed Jannik Hansen's play. A perennial "unsung hero" and one of the hardest working players on the team. But for whatever idiotic reason, he landed immediately in Torts doghouse and never got out. Meanwhile, other absolute useless plugs would get into the lineup or have heaps of undeserved icetime simply because they were "big tuff" and would fightpunch or throw themselves in front of every puck while they were hemmed in their own zone for eternity.

Torts just isn't remotely flexible or diverse in his handling of players. He's got one tone for everyone, and if it doesn't resonate...too bad, that player is going to have a bad time and he's not going to get anywhere near the best out of them.

Puts the GM in an awkward situation too...when you've got a guy like Sanheim whose "value" is seriously eroded by Torts inability to adapt his coaching to handle the player effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad