Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Oilers 0: ROYROYROYROYROYROYROYROY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I actually enjoyed the entire game tonight. First one in a while for me that I haven't turned the channel half way through out of utter boredom. I thought Roy looked fantastic for the most part. He and Higgins looked like they had played all season together. I will be interested in seeing how this team looks when Kesler is back and in game shape. We just might not be as bad off as I though if the team can play with that type of energy. Great game.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I honestly have no problem with us running up the score, this isn't minor hockey, we don't need to worry about the other team's feelings.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I honestly have no problem with us running up the score, this isn't minor hockey, we don't need to worry about the other team's feelings.

Vs. a rival i would encourage it. Edmonton is going to be around you want them to some bad memories vs us. We kept playing physical throughout the game. I think maybe Sestito should have been playing the last 30 seconds as Brown was looking to do something and took a run at Garrison. However i am happy Kassian scored as confidence is so important to him. I would prefer to watch him make mistakes and play naturally then watch him scared to be out of place, and not skate. I liked that he took a couple of runs at the Oilers young stars. Was a Torres move.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Solid effort last night. Roy gives the forward group a much better look. The Canucks actually looked capable of scoring off the rush occasionally, which is a nice change.

One thing I liked is that there seemed to be more of an emphasis on pressing the Oilers and dictating the play, rather than reacting to them. Glad the Canucks didn't just lock it down at 2-0, and seemed to continue to press the attack. In short, the game last night was watchable.

Still, we should be mindful that the Oilers are a young, playoff bubble team who had played the night before. Let's see how they look on Saturday. The Canucks should crush Calgary, but I'm not holding my breath.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
This absolutely needs to happen more often. I wish AV would use the Twins on a more regular basis on the PK.

For sure, there's no reason they shouldn't be killing penalties, they're two of the smartest players in the game.

Re: AV's comments on Kassian, what did that jackass say now?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Just be glad he's not like the buffoon Torts in New York. :laugh: And realize that Kassian is a young professional...his supervisor isn't always going to coddle him. And in the case of Kassian where we're hoping for a tough, mean, menacing force out there consistently...i'm not sure i disagree with AV's approach at all. I don't think this is him showing his disinclination towards young skilled players who naturally play a softer game. This is him trying to get Kassian fired up. And fired up is what we want.

I thought he looked like he was trying to play defence the way I do in NHL13.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I thought he looked like he was trying to play defence the way I do in NHL13.

Yeah, he was running around a bit too much but I chalk it up to the exuberance of him trying to show he learned his lesson. On the whole, Kas was a positive force on the ice. Good energy all night, just needs to learn how to channel it better.

Outside99*

Once Kes returns, I'm hoping he plays on a line with Roy and Higgins.

The Achilles heel of this team is secondary scoring. Hansen and Raymond have excellent 5 on 5 #'s regardless of linemate this year whereas Kesler's 5 on 5 production has been declining for 2+ years. You put Roy with Kes and there's a pretty good chance that trend reverses itself (his plus #'s when Booth was not in the lineup LY were much better).

Moreover, 3 of your options for the 3rd forward on the Hansen line are centers (Schroeder, Ebbett and Lapierre) with Lapierre being your best option in defensive situations.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The Achilles heel of this team is secondary scoring. Hansen and Raymond have excellent 5 on 5 #'s regardless of linemate this year whereas Kesler's 5 on 5 production has been declining for 2+ years. You put Roy with Kes and there's a pretty good chance that trend reverses itself (his plus #'s when Booth was not in the lineup LY were much better).

Moreover, 3 of your options for the 3rd forward on the Hansen line are centers (Schroeder, Ebbett and Lapierre) with Lapierre being your best option in defensive situations.

I like your lines. Raymond, Scroeder and Hansen is a solid third line that provides steady offence and defence. Then mix Kassian, Lapierre, Weise etc on the 4th and move Kassian up for injuries or if he plays well.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

exactly.

the best defense might be a good offense.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Higgins- Roy - Kesler

Raymond - Schroeder/Ebbett- Hansen (home), stick Lappy as the 3rd line C on the road.

Hopefully AV is not too stubborn to only use Kesler at C.
At least try Higgins-Roy-Kesler.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
exactly.

the best defense might be a good offense.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Higgins- Roy - Kesler

Raymond - Schroeder/Ebbett- Hansen (home), stick Lappy as the 3rd line C on the road.

Hopefully AV is not too stubborn to only use Kesler at C.
At least try Higgins-Roy-Kesler.

No. No to 3C Lapierre/Ebbett. Both are absolutely tragic in that role. Lapierre sucks any potential offense out of his line and he can't seem to make a smart hockey play to save his life. He pretty much ran himself into the boards last night on the Kassian goal.

Outside99*

I like your lines. Raymond, Scroeder and Hansen is a solid third line that provides steady offence and defence. Then mix Kassian, Lapierre, Weise etc on the 4th and move Kassian up for injuries or if he plays well.

Do you mean mixing the 4th liners into the top 3 lines (ex. Kassian with the Sedins every 4th or 5th shift, Weise with Kes and Roy every 4th or 5th shift, alternate Lapierre/Schroeder with Raymond and Hansen) instead of rolling 4 lines? I love this idea, I feel it makes sense for us due to the lack of grit in our top 9 and the fact 4th lines are always a bit of a liability that all teams try and exploit.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC

I'm not sure loading up a 2nd line with Kesler/Roy will do as much to boost secondary scoring as keeping them separate. Schroeder and Ebbett haven't shown enough offensively to be trusted in the post-season, in my opinion.

My top 9, assuming Booth is still out, would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Raymond-Kesler-Kassian

Speed, offensive punch, forechecking and defensive presence on all three lines. Kassian playing the role of distributor on that 3rd group. Makes match-ups really difficult for opposing teams.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
some peeps sure try hard to find fault with AV. The goal was meaningless in regards to the game's outcome, that's simply a factual statement. Any negative connotations people are putting on it is their own projection.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
some peeps sure try hard to find fault with AV. The goal was meaningless in regards to the game's outcome, that's simply a factual statement. Any negative connotations people are putting on it is their own projection.

Yup. Especially considering Kassian made the exact same comment about his goal when he was interviewed.

I hope Kassian isn't creating a rift with Kassian!

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
This absolutely needs to happen more often. I wish AV would use the Twins on a more regular basis on the PK.

Eh, with Kesler coming back we won't need to use them in the PK. They're better utilized in the O-zone, although I think they should get more D-zone shifts at ES.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Please, please rejig the first PP unit. I dunno what the hell the thought process is behind it, but it is terrible. Put Garrison back on there and drop Hansen for another winger.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Love sticking it to the OIlers especially with the type of crap some of their fans have been posting around here. It's kinda like a "Silencer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad