Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Oilers 0: ROYROYROYROYROYROYROYROY

Status
Not open for further replies.

StringerBell

I'm not an AV fan but I have no problem with what he said. Kassian doesn't need to be coddled, he can deal with it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's amazing what this team can do with a little bit of motivation. Get embarrassed badly last game out in Edmonton...and come out tonight just like they needed to, showing that they actually give a ****. And lo and behold, they look like a very good team.

Of course, having a legitimate NHL calibre #2C makes a fairly significant difference. :laugh:

Roy with a really solid debut. His creativity and offensive vision and passing ability is just what this team has been missing. A few little wrinkles to iron out defensively/turnovers wise, but i think that will come with time. Hope he can keep this going and continue to get even more comfortable here. Adds a dimension to this team that we've been sorely lacking, in addition to simply being a very capable top-6 center.

Higgins beasted tonight. Outstanding effort all around.

I think the Sedins and Burrows are due plenty of credit for their games tonight as well. Solid efforts at both ends for them.

Tanev looking uncharacteristically aggressive a few times tonight, in attacking players in his own end and in moving the puck up ice. I liked it. :nod:

Schneider looked calm, cool, collected, and large and in charge. Made it look easy tonight with the shutout, despite some significant chances against given up.

Kassian - Was nice to see him pot one for his confidence's sake...but are people really mad about AV's comment post-game? I mean, i didn't think he had a particularly great game, and that goal really didn't matter to the outcome. It was nice to see, but who cares. If Kassian is going to be our 'toughness', he's going to have to have a thick enough skin to deal with a few unkind comments from AV here and there. ;) He looked better than he had prior to demotion, but he still has a long ways to go. Intensity-wise, it looked like he got the message, but he was still chasing the play at times. Defensively he had a few shifts that were a real adventure...often looked like he was running around with tunnel vision looking for the 'big hit' or something. Gotta play the scoreboard at times. And while it was nice to see the confidence is there to try that like 'Datsyuk move', with a player like Zack and where he's at...it really should've been a more simple attempt. But you can laugh that one off, hopefully he learns something from that goof up.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Don't worry about AV, if this team does not get to the cup finals, he or gillis will be fired regardless.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kesler could also cover up for a lot of kassians defensive errors.

Some of them maybe, particularly in transition. But in own zone coverage, Kesler can't make up for a winger who goes roving and loses his man. He'll have his own heavy lifting to do.

It really depends if you're going to use Kesler as the primary shutdown pivot, which makes the most sense to me. And if you're doing that, you don't want a weak link like Kassian out there against other #1 lines.

The comment by AV shows some bias against the player. Really pointless to add that bit at the end.

He should be supportive, and he could have said something like "he played a great game tonight and he got rewarded for it" and just left it at that.

Backhanded compliment.

The thing is, it may have been a bridge to far for AV in the way he said it. But i'm completely on board with what the subtext there was.

To me it basically amounts to the famous Star Wars quote from Han Solo to Luke...

Kassian didn't have a particularly 'great' game. It was okay, with some ups and downs. Moving in the right direction, but nowhere near where we need him to be. And i think AV recognizes that we need Beast Mode Kassian from the first week or two of the season back. The potential is there, and he isn't close right now. I think it's valid to reinforce in a relatively subtle way, that a goal doesn't cover up for the other deficiencies we're seeing at the moment.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Some of them maybe, particularly in transition. But in own zone coverage, Kesler can't make up for a winger who goes roving and loses his man. He'll have his own heavy lifting to do.

It really depends if you're going to use Kesler as the primary shutdown pivot, which makes the most sense to me. And if you're doing that, you don't want a weak link like Kassian out there against other #1 lines.

The thing is, it may have been a bridge to far for AV in the way he said it. But i'm completely on board with what the subtext there was.

To me it basically amounts to the famous Star Wars quote from Han Solo to Luke...

Kassian didn't have a particularly 'great' game. It was okay, with some ups and downs. Moving in the right direction, but nowhere near where we need him to be. And i think AV recognizes that we need Beast Mode Kassian from the first week or two of the season back. The potential is there, and he isn't close right now. I think it's valid to reinforce in a relatively subtle way, that a goal doesn't cover up for the other deficiencies we're seeing at the moment.

Well, how about doing it to his face instead of in the media?

This is an ongoing trend with AV which is why it's being brought up. It is absolutely unnecessary, especially since you've got to assume the same message is probably being delivered in the room.

It's not like this hasn't caused the team issues before either. It's a bad habit that he should really stop.

Put it this way - would it hurt to keep his mouth shut?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well, how about doing it to his face instead of in the media?

This is an ongoing trend with AV which is why it's being brought up. It is absolutely unnecessary, especially since you've got to assume the same message is probably being delivered in the room.

It's not like this hasn't caused the team issues before either. It's a bad habit that he should really stop.

Put it this way - would it hurt to keep his mouth shut?

I agree, AV at times oversteps his bounds in the media. He didn't earn the moniker 'Mr. Gant' by accident. But i think that's just who he is, and at times he doesn't think things through entirely in press conference format.

But as far as coaches around the league go...that's an extremely benign slight on Kassian. Just watch various other coaches press conferences and you'll see a lot more blatant callouts on players than that. AV's comment tonight wasn't even a 'criticism' strictly speaking...just a footnote.

I mean, everyone's talking about how great Therrien is and how he's turned the culture of that team around, keeping everyone accountable getting them focused, fostering a winning atmosphere...

Did you hear any of the things he had to say about Eller earlier in the year? And that hasn't turned out too shabby. Ryan White who he dumped on repeatedly? PK Subban? He's getting responses he wants there.

While AV does grate on people at times with his media shenanigans, as a coach in today's NHL...like it or not, the media is one of the relatively limited tools available to a coach.

Just be glad he's not like the buffoon Torts in New York. :laugh: And realize that Kassian is a young professional...his supervisor isn't always going to coddle him. And in the case of Kassian where we're hoping for a tough, mean, menacing force out there consistently...i'm not sure i disagree with AV's approach at all. I don't think this is him showing his disinclination towards young skilled players who naturally play a softer game. This is him trying to get Kassian fired up. And fired up is what we want.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hey, we actually forced the issue and kept pressing them even when up! Baby steps... :p:

I'm liking that nickname someone gave him in the GDT: "Big D". Pretty fitting considering the irony of it, the D for Derek and where he was traded from.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
What is going on here?

165572792_slide.jpg

I don't even...

:lol:

yes imo, I have been critical of this team for lacking a killer instinct, we need to bury teams, not just look to beat them.
When the score is 3-0 and there's a dozen seconds left... That's not when you "bury" teams.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Baseless speculation but for some reason Av did not look very happy when kassian scored, i found it weird the camera cut to him after we scored, unless he always has that look perhaps he just did not care at this point since the team had the win already, this was on the oiler feed mind you.

I seen some people here and elsewhere agree about it being a pointless goal for kassian, but I dont agree. Oilers announcers were ripping him somewhat claiming he has not scored in his last 17 games or whatever number it was, they did not acknowledge he was injured.

So he scores tonight to shut up critics somewhat, wether its a useless goal or not, I dont think anyone should be critical of another goal, he scored tonight despite some critics and now is getting a bit of heat for when he scored it. If he did not score stat readers like the announcers in edmonton would be bringing up his goal scoring drought and claiming he needs to be better yet.

Last edited:

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
What, Vigneault doesn't think scoring a last-minute goal to make it 4-0, after they beat us 4-0 in Edmonton, he doesn't think that means anything? It's a big goal if you ask me!

King Crimson

Oct 6, 2011
Are people making a big deal out of AV's comments? Like, really? Holy crap. It was about as innocuous as they come. This is what he said, word for word:

"Yeah I thought Zack had some good shifts, physical when the opportunity was there. It was good to see him get a goal at the end there, even though the goal had no importance to the game, but, y'know for his confidence, I think it'll be good."

All he's saying is that even though it's a meaningless goal in terms of the end result of the hockey game, it will boost his confidence. That's it. Not everything has to be calculated when it comes out of a person's mouth. It's not even worded awkwardly.

So. Good win.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Are people making a big deal out of AV's comments? Like, really? Holy crap. It was about as innocuous as they come. This is what he said, word for word:

All he's saying is that even though it's a meaningless goal in terms of the end result of the hockey game, it will boost his confidence. That's it. Not everything has to be calculated when it comes out of a person's mouth. It's not even worded awkwardly.

So. Good win.

That full quote is a lot better than what was posted on twitter. People were freaking out over nothing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

So. Good win.

Yeah. It really isn't like he blasted him as some people are suggesting. He told it like it was. Kassian had some good shifts. He also had some pretty bad shifts, but AV was kind and tactful enough not to mention that.

I do think there was a bit of a measured subtle critique in there though. It's all well and good that Kassian scored...but it was a more or less meaningless goal outside Kassian's confidence. And while it's good to build that confidence...AV knows well that Kassian has an awful lot more to give than a late goal to make it a 4-0 game with a dozen seconds left. It's just a subtle ego-check...That goal may ease the stat watchers and the pundits...But AV isn't in the business of stat-watching, he's an NHL coach and he's trying to get Kassian to perform like he did in the first week or so of this season. We've all seen it, we all know it's there...

The reason Kassian isn't there, is essentially either:

a)lack of focus/intensity/effort.

b)lack of commitment (with the off-ice issues rumoured there).

c)lack of conditioning to sustain that level of play.

Whichever the case (and i'm not going to pretend to know the answer, i'd guess it's d)all of the above), we want a beast out there with a bit of a chip on his shoulder...not some coddled youngster who thinks his 4-0 goal late in a game against the Oilers makes him a superstar.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
This game was pure joy from top to bottom, and just what Canucks nation needed after Lou's press confrence yesterday. So happy with every aspect of the game, from Bure's appearance, to getting some retribution on the Oilers and ending their win streak, to seeing a powerplay goal, to a shutout for Schnieds, to an amazing debut for Roy, to getting some overdue magic from the Sedins!

Things have been pretty negative around here of late. We should enjoy this as much as it deserves to be enjoyed.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The hockey gods have forgiven the Canucks by making things right with Bure. Get his number in the rafters. ALL IS GOOD

This is the Canucks team I cheer for.

Exactly! Mark my words: This game was the turning point for good, just like the game VS Boston last year was the turning point for bad. :nod:

CM-

Mar 15, 2007
Edmonton
Baseless speculation but for some reason Av did not look very happy when kassian scored, i found it weird the camera cut to him after we scored, unless he always has that look perhaps he just did not care at this point since the team had the win already, this was on the oiler feed mind you.

I seen some people here and elsewhere agree about it being a pointless goal for kassian, but I dont agree. Oilers announcers were ripping him somewhat claiming he has not scored in his last 17 games or whatever number it was, they did not acknowledge he was injured.

So he scores tonight to shut up critics somewhat, wether its a useless goal or not, I dont think anyone should be critical of another goal, he scored tonight despite some critics and now is getting a bit of heat for when he scored it. If he did not score stat readers like the announcers in edmonton would be bringing up his goal scoring drought and claiming he needs to be better yet.

I agree unless people are going to start saying don't score in an empty net because you are already winning. They were killing the clock in the offensive zone better than hanging our goalie out to dry and costing him the shutout like we have done numerous times.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
how have you guys all forgotten about how AV doesn't care for running up the board

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah. It really isn't like he blasted him as some people are suggesting. He told it like it was. Kassian had some good shifts. He also had some pretty bad shifts, but AV was kind and tactful enough not to mention that.

I do think there was a bit of a measured subtle critique in there though. It's all well and good that Kassian scored...but it was a more or less meaningless goal outside Kassian's confidence. And while it's good to build that confidence...AV knows well that Kassian has an awful lot more to give than a late goal to make it a 4-0 game with a dozen seconds left. It's just a subtle ego-check...That goal may ease the stat watchers and the pundits...But AV isn't in the business of stat-watching, he's an NHL coach and he's trying to get Kassian to perform like he did in the first week or so of this season. We've all seen it, we all know it's there...

The reason Kassian isn't there, is essentially either:

a)lack of focus/intensity/effort.

b)lack of commitment (with the off-ice issues rumoured there).

c)lack of conditioning to sustain that level of play.

Whichever the case (and i'm not going to pretend to know the answer, i'd guess it's d)all of the above), we want a beast out there with a bit of a chip on his shoulder...not some coddled youngster who thinks his 4-0 goal late in a game against the Oilers makes him a superstar.

What are these issues?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not too worried about that comment. Zack in an interview after the game even mentioned how the goal didn't mean anything except for his confidence.

Which it was, I don't know "nice to see him get the goal" but well you know "it was meaningless".

Some people are making a mountain out of molehill. AV praised him for his good game and was happy he got the goal as he deserved it but it was a meaningless goal to the game. And it was likely a reminder for Kassian to just put the puck on net instead of the dispsy doodle he tried earlier...use you reach and put it around the goaltender. That was not the time to get fancy...especially when you are goalless for 2 months. On a hot streak, sure give it a try a it would likely work but squeezing the stick into sawdust don't try it. I have no issues with the comments. Especially if it keeps Kassian motivated and quite frankyl why should he be out of the doghouse after one game? It wasn't an AV decision to send him down for a reality check on his professionalism. That was an organization decision. Great he got the message but hopefully he got the full message.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Man, people will do anything to take shots at AV. Those comments about Kassian were nothing.

As for him not being excited about him scoring, maybe it has to do with his best defenseman getting injured at the same time.

Very good game from Kassian. Made a few mistakes with the puck but had at least three good scoring chances and was very involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad