Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 Flames 2 (Hoglander, Hoglander, Miller, Lindholm)

Do you love this team?

• Total voters

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
the whirling dervishes.jpg

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It’s so damn nice to get those prime Sedin era feelings again, even if I miss a game now I’ll avoid spoilers and go home to watch the games start to finish.

What a fun season and team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah my biggest gripe, and something Ive posted here many times over the last few years is that Boeser when he isnt scoring is very uninterested and doesnt make plays on either end of the ice. His motivation to do the little things wavers with his scoring touch.

But in the back half of this season hes actually making plays for others and yesterday he was crashing in on the forecheck and pressuring in ways he just didnt do in past years unless he had scored recently. Hope he keeps this up

That’s where I’m at too. I think it used to be a valid criticism of his game, but it’s not anymore. He’s improved it. Obviously he’s a much bigger impact when he’s contributing offensively, but he’s not a negative value skater when he’s not (anymore).

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Same plot as for a lot of games recently.

Control play through 40 minutes, don't capitalize enough on the horde of chance we get, and then have squeaky bum time through the 3rd period holding the lead.

But we keep winning most of these games, so can't complain too much.
Agreed. Problem is, I don't think that will work in the playoffs, or at least it's a dangerous strategy that we have already seen cause problems against the likes of the Avs.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Also, I’ll say again - some really nice work from DeSmith here to prevent goaltending from becoming the big talking point it could have been.

You say that, but I'm sure Dhaliwal's radio show will be 'Canucks goaltending controversy????????' when Demko is close to coming back.

Said half-jokingly.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Honestly I think the Norris should be his signed sealed and delivered. Josi is playing well and should be the runner up but Makar should be no where close to Josi and Hughes.

I don't disagree but makar is only 2 points back. His play has no been nowhere near Hughes this year but there's always the reputation factor.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't disagree but makar is only 2 points back. His play has no been nowhere near Hughes this year but there's always the reputation factor.
most voters have already made up their mind on who will win it, nothing is going to change in the last 10 games. most voters won't even see a single hughes or makar game between now and the end of the season.

hughes more or less has it locked up due to how much better vancouver has been this year, and how much he is driving the team's success. there's not really anything makar can do at this point. having mackinnon around 130-140p will make makar's ~90p look less impressive

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What did he say specifically?

Don't recall verbatim off the top of my head. But the gist of it was basically something like, "I love it here. With all the scenery and nature, i can walk to work, there are so many great restaurants and things to do everywhere. And the people are generally so nice and relatively chill".

Reactions: Fraser28

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
as a devil's advocate, cheap energy is the cornerstone of prosperity, but none the less i found it funny they were targeting university students specifically while on national television :laugh:

haha, but maybe they’re counting on teenagers’ middle aged tv watching parents telling their kids about this “opportunity.”

Don't recall verbatim off the top of my head. But the gist of it was basically something like, "I love it here. With all the scenery and nature, i can walk to work, there are so many great restaurants and things to do everywhere. And the people are generally so nice and relatively chill".

probably lives blocks away from where the tryamkins did. very different takeaway.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
haha, but maybe they’re counting on teenagers’ middle aged tv watching parents telling their kids about this “opportunity.”

probably lives blocks away from where the tryamkins did. very different takeaway.

Very possible and kind of funny to think about. This is where it's easy to forget that NHL players are actual people with feelings and preferences, not just NPCs to be traded around like a videogame.

Some of it might just be the income difference, but i still doubt that was the big issue with Tryamkin who was still making some very comfortable NHL money.

That language gap can be a heck of a thing though. Especially if you're coming from Tryamkin's perspective of struggling with English in the first place...and having it be a second or third language for an awful lot of other people in Vancouver, and Russian relatively uncommon as a background language. Two people struggling with broken English on both ends trying to bridge the gap, i can see how that's not very fun.

In addition to just the culture shock of being from a small Siberian industrial town, jumping to downtown Vancouver which is...different. Not necessarily for everyone.

Heck, i bet Tryamkin would've been a lot happier and maybe even stuck around if he'd landed in Edmonton or Winnipeg. Not even being sarcastic. It'd probably be a much more comfortable, familiar thing for him. Just living in some insular suburban/exurban community, driving to and from work without interacting with a single soul. Having a large Russian/Ukrainian/Polish sort of base established as culturally prominent.

I also know plenty of people who live in Edmonton or other even smaller Northern Prairies communities who you could not pay enough to ever live in a place like Vancouver. They went one time and it's big and scary and full of all sorts "terrifying" and "unfamiliar" things.

Though i also know plenty of people who live in Calgary because they can't afford to live in Vancouver. Which is why i list Edmonton and Winnipeg there and exclude one. lol.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So my brother is on a plane headed home to Sydney right now. We got in some poker golf family and friends while he was here.

He took his daughter to see the Sabres game. Too bad. He was at the Calgary last night as well. That went great. He tries to get at least one game in every visit. (He's likely back in Oct for our 50th HS reunion, f*** we are getting old).

Anyhow, it is just a joy to finally enjoy Canucks hockey again. Probable Coach of the Year. Probable 1st Norris trophy for a Canuck. 4 players in the top 30 (or so) in scoring. A shot at the Presidents trophy as well.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
So my brother is on a plane headed home to Sydney right now. We got in some poker golf family and friends while he was here.

He took his daughter to see the Sabres game. Too bad. He was at the Calgary last night as well. That went great. He tries to get at least one game in every visit. (He's likely back in Oct for our 50th HS reunion, f*** we are getting old).

Anyhow, it is just a joy to finally enjoy Canucks hockey again. Probable Coach of the Year. Probable 1st Norris trophy for a Canuck. 4 players in the top 30 (or so) in scoring. A shot at the Presidents trophy as well.

Hopefully the team has a similar October to last, and your brother and niece get to see a good old fashioned ass whooping of the Oilers when they're here lololol.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm finding it difficult to imagine Myers, Zadorov and Tryamkin on the same team.

1711385184214.png
Very possible and kind of funny to think about. This is where it's easy to forget that NHL players are actual people with feelings and preferences, not just NPCs to be traded around like a videogame.
Some of it might just be the income difference, but i still doubt that was the big issue with Tryamkin who was still making some very comfortable NHL money.

That language gap can be a heck of a thing though. Especially if you're coming from Tryamkin's perspective of struggling with English in the first place...and having it be a second or third language for an awful lot of other people in Vancouver, and Russian relatively uncommon as a background language. Two people struggling with broken English on both ends trying to bridge the gap, i can see how that's not very fun.

In addition to just the culture shock of being from a small Siberian industrial town, jumping to downtown Vancouver which is...different. Not necessarily for everyone.

Heck, i bet Tryamkin would've been a lot happier and maybe even stuck around if he'd landed in Edmonton or Winnipeg. Not even being sarcastic. It'd probably be a much more comfortable, familiar thing for him. Just living in some insular suburban/exurban community, driving to and from work without interacting with a single soul. Having a large Russian/Ukrainian/Polish sort of base established as culturally prominent.

I also know plenty of people who live in Edmonton or other even smaller Northern Prairies communities who you could not pay enough to ever live in a place like Vancouver. They went one time and it's big and scary and full of all sorts "terrifying" and "unfamiliar" things.

Though i also know plenty of people who live in Calgary because they can't afford to live in Vancouver. Which is why i list Edmonton and Winnipeg there and exclude one. lol.

Reactions: biturbo19

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Is Pius Suter still on your top PP??

I see him on the 4th line is all. Asking for a friend..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad