GDT: Canucks 3 @ Broons 6 | 19th Oct

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Destroy the hairy Bears of Boston!
Same Vancouver lineup apparently.
3-1 Nuckies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I will join the crowd ... what the hell does "defend twice" possibly mean?
martin.gif

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I knew Downie was a Bruins fan but had no idea he was Harry Sindens God-son.
He's probably just sitting in purgatory right now waiting for one more Bruins win before he meets up with Mr. Lahey for a drink. Oh well, may as well make it tonight.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Taking my Tank hat off for this one. I don't care if this game makes us miss out on the 1st overall, just beat dem Ruins

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I took it as he was in the net that he will be defending in the 1st and 3rd periods.

Don't get the relevance, unless they have the starting goalie in the net they defend twice for practice to get them used to it.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I'm with you on this. I'm hoping for a big loss, though like MS I too have a feeling we'll probably end up winning this. Boston hasn't looked good to start the season, and with Bergeron out it's not looking too good.

That's what things have become...I hate current management so much that I'll even cheer for Boston.
I am full on cheering for team tank but there are some teams that I simply hate to lose: Brooins, Maple Things, Orange hot things and those bastards with a lot of number 1 picks. 10/15 wins and 65/70 losses stills counts. You don't need to lose all games, just the vast majority.

Oddity

Nov 11, 2011
Rask out with a concussion.

Now the hard part.... scoring on a backup goalie.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Usually first guy off the ice is the starter. Either guy could be on first for reps.

on reflection i agree. looking at it again, he seems to be saying that nillson is the first goalie one the ice and was defending the canucks' home end in practice (e.g., where the canuck goalie will be in net for two periods). maybe it was just to tell us that useless piece of info, or maybe that's where the canucks put their starter in practice on the road so they learn the boards?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ugh, Anton Khudobin. I remember that horrifyingly awful shutout he posted against us when he played for Minnesota. I maintain that was the worst shutout performance ever by a goaltender. The Canucks couldn't have scored on a five year old that day.

There was an extended sequence where Khudobin blew a tire and bailed in the corner. He was not in his net for about 35 seconds (he couldn't get up), and the Canucks had control of the puck that whole time. With an empty net to shoot at. And we couldn't get one damned puck on that net.

Still have PTSD from that game. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bruins are banged up....Bergeron and Backes questionable; Rask on the shelf; and team coming off an ugly game in Vegas....Canucks usually play well in the second-third games of a give-game roadie....But I'm sensing maybe an OT game.

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
I will join the crowd ... what the hell does "defend twice" possibly mean?

It took me a while to figure out as well, but I believe what the quote is saying is that Nilsson was the first goalie on the ice in practice and he was in the net that the away (Canucks) team will defend for the 1st and 3rd periods tonight. He was assuming that these are indicators that Nilsson is starting, which he is. Hope that helps.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
on reflection i agree. looking at it again, he seems to be saying that nillson is the first goalie one the ice and was defending the canucks' home end in practice (e.g., where the canuck goalie will be in net for two periods). maybe it was just to tell us that useless piece of info, or maybe that's where the canucks put their starter in practice on the road so they learn the boards?

I think the answer is simply that Patterson had a few too many brewskies in beantown and hadn't drunk his morning covfefe yet.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ugh, Anton Khudobin. I remember that horrifyingly awful shutout he posted against us when he played for Minnesota. I maintain that was the worst shutout performance ever by a goaltender. The Canucks couldn't have scored on a five year old that day.

There was an extended sequence where Khudobin blew a tire and bailed in the corner. He was not in his net for about 35 seconds (he couldn't get up), and the Canucks had control of the puck that whole time. With an empty net to shoot at. And we couldn't get one damned puck on that net.

Still have PTSD from that game. :laugh:
Haha I swear you've posted about this at least 20 times.

Reactions: Tryamkin

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I am thinking it is either boards or (if it were me) could be lighting/board advertising, as that can mess with a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad