GDT: Canucks 3 @ Broons 6 | 19th Oct

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Compare Gudbransons and Horvats reactions in this video and let me know which one is the leader

Gotta say, Gudbranson was the one guy who barely flinched here. He might not be the world's greatest defenseman but if Jurassic Park ever opens I want him as my tour guide.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so i finally saw the gudbranson hit. textbook hit from behind. in isolation i'd call it a brain freeze given he has no history of doing that.

but couple that with the tkachuk hit, and that is two vicious hits that were blatant penalties in three games. a solid hit from behind and a stick right in the face. nasty stuff.

if i was a coach or gm i'd be worried about gudbranson's state of mind that he is doing that. gudbranson may be trying to boost his ufa value by becoming a menace or he may be in a bad place.

i imagine gudbranson was thinking he was sitting pretty playing hardball on a longterm extension with florida less than two years ago, probably planning what he would do when he was named captain. since then, florida booted him, he sucked with the canucks in 30 games, missed a ton of time, had to settle for a push one year contract, and now suddenly he's considered half busted on a bad team where nobody else plays hockey the way he does and he and a 5' 11" guy with a fused spine have to fight all the battles.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Anyone else just want Marchand to be destroyed? There really isn't much left in Canucks/Bruins games.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
but couple that with the tkachuk hit, and that is two vicious hits that were blatant penalties in three games. a solid hit from behind and a stick right in the face. nasty stuff.

if i was a coach or gm i'd be worried about gudbranson's state of mind that he is doing that. gudbranson may be trying to boost his ufa value by becoming a menace or he may be in a bad place.
I dunno....I actually don't have a problem with that. Been a while since we've had a player like that on the blueline. Keeps the other team honest.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
It's impressive how they keep turning over large chunks of the roster in the offseason and yet this team looks exactly the same. Can't transition the puck, disorganized on the blue line, and bad on special teams. Just another year in Canucksville.

It certainly doesn't help when you turn over the roster with bad offensive players: Grandlund, Sutter, Erricksson, Gagner, Gudbranson....woof thats a offensive black hole if I've ever seen one.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Obviously I'm paraphrasing negatively to make a point. But that's basically what he said.

The pairing was struggling and Gudbranson was the bigger problem of the two (and indeed, as soon as he got hurt, Hutton magically became good again). All he has to do is own it, or at worse give a banal cliche hockey-talk response.

Instead, he argues that he's not making mistakes and he's 'only out of position because someone else made a mistake' completely not owning any of the struggles of the pairing. Then he points out that Hutton might 'defend well' after 300 games, pretty clearly implying that he thinks he defends well because he's played that many games.

Yeah, he gives some lip service to Hutton being a good player eventually. But the gist of the interview is that he thinks he's playing great and not the problem, and that Hutton is the problem. Completely threw a teammate under the bus. And every time I see him interviewed, I feel that same reek of arrogance off him.

And that's the thing that pisses me off most about Gudbranson and Sutter - both are below-average players who were once top-10 picks and have been treated/played/paid like foundational players for years even though they're marginal guys who should be fighting to stay in lineups, and carry themselves like they're stars when in fact they're amongst the biggest problems on the team. It's one thing to watch a losing team. It's another thing to watch a losing team where some of the worst players think they're really great and continue to have wads of icetime shoved undeservedly down their throats by the coach while better players without their 'pedigree' watch from the bench or pressbox.

"Paraphrasing negatively" is the most political way to describe your interpretation of the comments, I'll give you credit for that word choice.

And Gudbranson wasn't the major problem with that pairing, both guys were bad. I think Hutton was actually worse during that time, but they alternated between "bad" and "very bad". It was a dreadful stretch for that pairing where once again the issue was that they were given too big of a role based on their talent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what happens to the Canucks in Beantown.....that game reminded me of the games in the '011 final.....atrocious defensive coverage; a disastrous pk; shoddy goaltending; and even an ugly hit by Gudbranson reminiscent of the Aaron Rome leveling of Horton.....thank God they only play there once a year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The notion that we should blame a skill player for trying to be shifty near the boards to create offense because some neanderthal defender won't be able to help himself from smashing him face-first into the boards is absurd to me. So is the notion that if a player sees a defender coming (who is still pretty far away) that player should just be honour-bound to skate into that player and get smashed instead of turning to try and make a better play.

And that wasn't a case of the guy turning into it. Gudbranson had tons of time to assess the situation, guide Vatrano into the glass and pin him there to win a puck battle. Instead he exploded upward through the numbers to the point where he left his feet. It was an incredibly reckless, stupid play.

Again, hits from behind into the boards are the most dangerous play in hockey. You're taught from the age of 10 NOT TO DO IT and to err on the side of caution.

The penalty was completely, 100% correct and that's been called the same way since the mid-1990s. Given that it was early in the game and ended up costing the team the game, I don't think a suspension is really necessary ... but then I really couldn't argue if he was given 1-2 games, either.

No. The guy should be "honor bound" to make a better play than turning his back to the oncoming defender in a notoriously dangerous area of the ice. If he's skilled enough to actually stop up and turn back and avoid the hit, good on him...but that's not what he did at all. He's stopped up, showed his numbers and pretended his number plated aegis shield was up.

I have no problem with guys making skilled plays behind the net. Either darting through, turning back, or just eating the hit to make a play. He did none of those things. That's NOT skilled hockey. It's chickenshit hockey.

Reactions: Nomobo

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I get the urge some have to immediately remove any Canuck from blame but it was a bad hit. Calling that hit an example of a guy turning his back at the last second is phony and fools nobody.

this-is-an-orange.jpg

Reactions: CanaFan

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Making a terrible trade for this overpaid Andrew Alberts equivalent and then watching him get overplayed (while better players are scratched) and fawned over by media like he's a star player while he carries himself like a star and talks down to teammates is nauseating. Everything about him just rubs me the wrong way.

I'd rather be watching Sbisa because at least Sbisa was a really likeable guy I could cheer for and embrace as a Canuck, even if he stunk.

Sorry for criticizing Our Guddy. ;)

Have you noticed the amount of articles that are written exclusively about him or feature him? It felt like this summer at least once a month an article came out entirely focused on him - more than any other player it felt like. I saw he was even on the cover of a 'west van lifestyle' magazine- i couldn't believe it. The trade itself and the decision to play him isn't his fault so I think that angst should be directed at management. Has he talked down to his teammates other than the 300 games comment - I am unaware?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Yeah, I don't get a dbag vibe from Gudbranson. It was an awful awful awful awful trade, and I don't think he's a very good player, but I do like having a tough prick like him around. If he's going to smash ppl in the face and board ppl this yr, I'll like him more. I don't care if it costs us a goal or 10, it'll entertain me. And I value my entertainment way more than having a Dman who can pass the puck.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Compare Gudbransons and Horvats reactions in this video and let me know which one is the leader

Wow.... Guddy is such a cool guy. So awesome to see his real personality shine through (as opposed to the still shots of him smiling at camera for his benefit).

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Yeah, I don't get a dbag vibe from Gudbranson. It was an awful awful awful awful trade, and I don't think he's a very good player, but I do like having a tough prick like him around. If he's going to smash ppl in the face and board ppl this yr, I'll like him more. I don't care if it costs us a goal or 10, it'll entertain me. And I value my entertainment way more than having a Dman who can pass the puck.
Umm did you watch the dino video? Couldn't expect more of a dbag reaction from a professional athlete on his way to practice interacting with a teammate. He is just so cool though - all black, backwards hat, straight arm lol

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Umm did you watch the dino video? Couldn't expect more of a dbag reaction from a professional athlete on his way to practice interacting with a teammate. He is just so cool though - all black, backwards hat, straight arm lol

Of course not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->