Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 - Blues 1 OT | THIS YEAR WE ARE OK IN OT

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep....Larsen has been the biggest surprise to me.....figured he'd be blasted in his own zone....but so far is moving the puck quickly and even looks comfortable playing with Edler.....still a work in progress on the pp, but you can see the potential there...but it's a long season....and we'll see if he can avoid injury and how he looks in January.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I would staple Virtanen there and let them work it out. Skille is very unlikely to provide much of anything to the Baertschi-Horvat duo.

This.

If Virtanen is not ready for prime time when Rodin comes back you drop him down in the lineup and insert Rodin.

Until that time we should ride Virtanen and let him work his game. With Sutter/Hansen/Granlund playing well we can afford to shelter the line if need be.

I would rather see Dorsett move up instead of Skille. Yes... I said it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
What we need is Sami Salo to teach these kids how to take a shot.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The power play is the only thing that hasn't looked good so far. Need to pull Sutter off unit 1 and stick Loui infront of the net. Get the Sedins close enough to pass to each other. Keep Larsen for the RH shot on the left circle and give Edler/Hutton the blue line spot. I'd like to see Hutton tried out there but we might need an actual slap shot threat from that spot, even if it usually misses the net.

Second unit I'd like to see Horvat, Baertschi, Hansen, Sutter and the left over of Edler/Hutton. Dman gets the blue line spot, Sutter on the left circle, Baertschi on the right circle, Horvat and Hansen crashing the net and cleaning up rebounds, both positioned slightly to the sides with one available to go behind the net for the cycle.

I actually like the Byfuglin solution. Put Gudbranson or Tryamkin in front of the net and see what happens.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I actually like the Byfuglin solution. Put Gudbranson or Tryamkin in front of the net and see what happens.

Neither Gudbranson or Tryamkin got that kind of offensive power I don't think.

But yeah they should try to let Horvat sit on PP1. Unless WD still wants Horvat to be a defensive 3C for the rest of Horvat's career.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Salo should absolutely be part of the Canucks organization in some way.

I wonder if in a few years when they retire Burrows and Bieksa would be part of the org too would be kinda nice. Too bad Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu left on such bad terms would love him here too :(

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Salo should absolutely be part of the Canucks organization in some way.

Isn't he a bit soft spoken? Not sure that's a guy I would say absolutely needs to be here... Burrows and Bieksa personality type is the guys that should absolutely be here, Bieksa should be on HNIC.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Salo ans Samuelsson are the best interviews

Also, did everybody really just miss the joke about Salo taking a shot? Right over your heads.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
didn't we try jovo there and it was no great shakes?
No great shakes is completely wrong, IMO.

Jovo was a rover net-front-presence. During that stretch, he always started the powerplay on the point as a defenseman and ended up joining Bertuzzi in front of the net (and consequently, had to recover on D when the puck went back the other way). A different situation than Byfuglien/Chara.

It was awesome. And it was one of the best/most effective things to happen to our powerplay during that period. That was the year he got 7 goals in 14 playoff games. Gave the opposition fits. Imagine trying to protect the front of the net with both Bertuzzi and Jovanovski in there wreaking havoc, with Salo firing cannons from the point and Naslund sniping wrist shots.

I believe the Steve Moore thing happened the year after, so no Bertuzzi for that play to work after that. I think he also had injury troubles, then left for Phoenix.

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I do think Hutton is clearly the best candidate to be the "Ehrhoff" in a more conventional Sedin-setup. I'm still not sure he's got the same finesse for pulling pucks off the wall and making the right decisions quickly there, in what amounts to an often very compressed space/time window. But few really do, Ehrhoff was fantastic at that.

The problem with Eriksson, and it was noted before he even signed here...as you can see in those Bruins PP goal examples - he's around the net, but he's shaded to the RW side. Where pucks are coming into his body, rather than across it. Which doesn't really work well with the Sedins, as they do their best work when working off that same wall.

As amazing as the Twins can be on the PP - it's always limited the ways you can effectively set up the PP when those two obviously form the core of the top unit, and are not particularly versatile on the PP. The experiment trying to get them to set up their cycle on the LW boards was an abject failure. Neither of them really works well as a traditional lone QB distributing the puck from the point, and neither of them really presents a credible long-range shooting threat from the point either. So you're pretty much locked in to queuing your setup off the two of them working the RW wall on down to behind the net. And it's tough to draw up an effective PP setup with 3 guys all posted up down low in that RW corner. :huh:

Well since Hoffer's departure we haven't had one single QB type like him since, and the sedins performed great with his skillset, it is why I think Hutton can be that QB distributor, hell anything to shake things up at this point for the powerplay.

Larsen has the most TOI for the powerplay on this team so far, ahead of the Sedins! and has zero points, and the worst advanced stats as Grady Sas pointed out, I think he won't last long if he keeps up this lackluster performance thus far. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvKz8wtVIAEfgMc.jpg:large
*side note* Markus Granlund leads the team in advanced stats - he's becoming a low-key great two-way player.

Anyways I'd try the Bruins setup they had for Eriksson, where Hutton will be our Krug.
spooner I think plus marchand, bergeron & eriksson.

So the sedins, eriksson, sutter & hutton.

I still can't wait to see Edler re-united with Stecher at some point this season, if they can rekindle their preseason play, that'll be a big boost for the powerplay/transition game.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I wonder if in a few years when they retire Burrows and Bieksa would be part of the org too would be kinda nice. Too bad Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu left on such bad terms would love him here too :(

I don't know if Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu left on that bad a note, as far as he was concerned, anyway. We, as fans, may have a different opinion. But regardless, his heart and family were always in Florida, so I bet that's where he stays.

We do have Cluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu though.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I actually don't think the PP has looked that bad. They've had possession and created some good chances. Once they get 1 they'll go on a bit of a role.

I like the look of the 2nd unit, and would leave it as is right now. Sutter is really the weak link on the first unit. I'd like to see Daniel back in the slot and preferably a RHS for the Ovi spot. Stecher eventually, but there's not a real obvious choice on the roster right now.

Having the Sedins split forces them to use the entire ice, which is a positive. But it also means we only have 1 natural 1-timer which limits the formation's effectiveness. I'd like to see Daniel where Sutter is and rotate through some options on the left hash until something clicks. But I don't see any need to scrap what they're doing, just tinker with who is where.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad