Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 - Blues 1 OT | THIS YEAR WE ARE OK IN OT

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
D has been a huge improvement over last season, but it hurts thinking about what could have been had we not signed Sbisa. Directly responsible for the inability to retain Hamhuis, who would look really nice on the 3rd pair with Larsen. No matter how expected it was to let Hamhuis go last offseason, I still cri evertim.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the team is 3-0 but has never had a lead

miller has an undefeated record with a 0.00 GAA and 1.00 SV% but zero shutouts

i'm hoping we win the stanley cup but still win the draft lottery and get the number one pick

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Anyone happen to have a gif of Horvat and Gudbranson high fiving on the bench after the win? Great to see the team having fun. You would think we won a playoff series they way they poured off the bench. Love seeing it. Love this team.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
This. It is a small sample size but I've been very impressed with his overall play, especially when it comes to how reliable he's been.

Very smart, very skilled and calm.

He seems to be pretty good at getting wristers on net and his shot is decent so like you said, the points should come.

Another thing is that he doesn't even look out of place with Edler as a first pairing guy.

His calmness and efficiency rub off on whoever he plays with. Doesn't seem to be hampered by physical play either.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone happen to have a gif of Horvat and Gudbranson high fiving on the bench after the win? Great to see the team having fun. You would think we won a playoff series they way they poured off the bench. Love seeing it. Love this team.

I find it something that we haven't talked about much this off season, but these two alone have a great personality positive attitude. A winning attitude and I wonder if this will effect the product on the ice.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
just watched the highlights. henrik scored the goal, but tanev moved his stick for him. with that, henrik might have leapfrogged into the NHL all-time career leader in accidental goals. move over, andreychuk's butt.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

i remember him and gudbranson kinda of scuffled over who was last in the dressing room

jawwing over captaincy?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

i'm hoping we win the stanley cup but still win the draft lottery and get the number one pick

Only way that can happen is to make a trade with a non playoff team and get there first round pick and see if that turns into the lotto winner PLUS win the cup. That would be so UNREAL :nod:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

And the SCF winning goal is in OT in game 7, credited to Eriksson as Marchand passes the puck into his own net on a delayed call.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Alright so I'm giving my first 3 born children as sacrifice to Jarvis, what else are the rest of you doing?

Like I said, the dog stays so you're going to have to make up for it for our Lord and Savior Doug (Jarvis not Lidster).

Jarvis' primary responsibility is the PP (per Kuzma), so maybe hold off on the human sacrifices.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Jarvis' primary responsibility is the PP (per Kuzma), so maybe hold off on the human sacrifices.

The power play is the only thing that hasn't looked good so far. Need to pull Sutter off unit 1 and stick Loui infront of the net. Get the Sedins close enough to pass to each other. Keep Larsen for the RH shot on the left circle and give Edler/Hutton the blue line spot. I'd like to see Hutton tried out there but we might need an actual slap shot threat from that spot, even if it usually misses the net.

Second unit I'd like to see Horvat, Baertschi, Hansen, Sutter and the left over of Edler/Hutton. Dman gets the blue line spot, Sutter on the left circle, Baertschi on the right circle, Horvat and Hansen crashing the net and cleaning up rebounds, both positioned slightly to the sides with one available to go behind the net for the cycle.

Last edited:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

inb4 therrien tells them to stop having fun

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not really fan either. I'd hesitate to even call it a true umbrella setup even. You can see as soon as it sets up, it's organically trying to morph into something else (and more Sedin-friendly) anyway.

The Umbrella setup can be a menace with some personnel groups...but with the people we have right now at least, it just doesn't seem to make a ton of sense.

The Sedins best PP work has always come when they just do what they're best at - overload that RW wall from the tops of the circle down to behind the net. Running that small-area give'n'go cycle game. And when they had a great LH shooting point man in Ehrhoff who was extremely adept at supporting that cycle, or pulling pucks off the wall and either putting them toward the net for tips, or walking them across to the big RH shooting option on the off side point.

I think there's pieces to make a lot of that work again, Larsen-Hutton on the points perhaps. But the magic ingredient was the versatility Kesler brought to that unit. He was amazing at the top of the crease which is crucial in itself...but he was also a terrific RH one-timer option on that off side, a speedy and imposing puck retriever, and he was really underrated in knowing when to jump in and support the Sedin cycle or retrieve pucks, and when to back off and find space to get open for a shot.

That versatile collection of traits and the offensive sense to balance all those various roles is unfortunately, an extremely difficult thing to find in a player. Guys who have all of those traits together are by and large, highly sought after, well-rounded Top-6 goal-scorers in their own right. Which we could use another one of...period, not just on the PP. Especially a RH shooting one.
Yes it's two fold.
Kesler was huge but so was Ehrhoff and not only his bomb of a shot but his willingness and confidence to be a rover and disrupt the defensive structure of the PK.
Edler and the Sedin's have become more static......which is why Edler is off the PP. Has a bomb but can't get it through.
Anyways it's safe to say that the top PP unit of the top team days are gone but we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it can be better than last year or maybe it's time to put Bo Sven and Ben on the top unit with the twins

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
No need to revolutionize the PP. Just get Daniel back to the side of the net, Henrik on the halfwall, Louie in the slot, Larsen as roamer for movement and RH one timers and Edler at the top for bombs to keep the opponents honest.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
No need to revolutionize the PP. Just get Daniel back to the side of the net, Henrik on the halfwall, Louie in the slot, Larsen as roamer for movement and RH one timers and Edler at the top for bombs to keep the opponents honest.

I like everything about that except Edler. Would way rather have Hutton on that side. Edler's bombs aren't going to keep anyone honest because they never find their target. Unless he is actually targeting shin pads......

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Excuse you but I will sacrifice as many humans as I see fit, when I choose to do so.

Hah fair enough, it is nearly Halloween.

But yeah, in terms of the PP I'll give Jarvis a bit of slack because he's a new coach that might be getting to know the strengths of players and where they might fit. I can see why Sutter is there ... he's RH and has the best wrist shot on the team. Maybe they'll figure it out.

But again, it's indicative of our lack of higher-end skill player. Specifically any sort of shooters.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I like everything about that except Edler. Would way rather have Hutton on that side. Edler's bombs aren't going to keep anyone honest because they never find their target. Unless he is actually targeting shin pads......

Hutton has sniped a few shin pads so far this season as well. I absolutely love Hutton but his complete lack of a slapshot hurts his powerplay potential. Most slapshots from the point don't hit the net but the rebounds either off players or usually the boards can cause chaos. It just adds another element for teams to defend against. I'd like to see Hutton QB his own unit with Bo, Sutter, Baertschi and Hansen. Henrik is the de facto QB on unit 1 and always will be until he retires.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The power play is fine as long as they are holding possession and generating scoring chances. If they continue to do that then offence will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad