Confirmed with Link: Cangy Stepping Down as Play by Play Announcer

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We have Doc , Gary Thorne and Canjo as our announcers alumni. I don't think any other team in the league could stack up 3 announcers that good.

Gonna miss Canjo , I wasn't his biggest fan at first but than again no one could replace Doc. Canjo did a great job. It's unfortunate we didn't have a great team pretty much 80% of his tenure once he took over after Doc but we still have alot of good memories of his calls to look back on.

Gotta think he is going to focus more on soccer or possibly being offered a job doing national broadcasted games for ESPN or TNT.
The Mets haven’t done too badly overall with Gary Cohen (and GKR as an entity), Howie Rose, Bob Murphy, Ralph Kiner, also Thorne way back, etc. I’ve been spoiled with my broadcast teams.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Gary Thorne will be 74 in June, he’s only two years younger than Emrick.

Gary throne doesn’t do the Mets I thought he did orioles. Gary throne > emerick don’t care what anyone says.

Watch Matt get the gig talk about a snoozer if that happens. I don’t even know why they bother having a radio team anymore I don’t think they are on “radio” anymore.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thorne did Mets radio in the late ‘80’s and I think early ‘90’s…the Orioles more recently but he was let go a couple years back and I don’t think has had steady work since, just fill in gigs at SNY

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There isn’t a chance in hell he doesn’t go national.
He’s been moving up the soccer ranks for announcing. It wouldn’t surprise me if he can continue that, recoup some of the salary, and have lots more free time for whatever else he wants to do.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Isn't Thorne back on Mets broadcasts the last two years at least in some games? I don't get their games here and I got too much going on to do MLB extra innings, I haven't followed baseball closely since moving here 11 years ago, although I do go to a couple Rays games a year with my buddy when he don't take his family. He gets me a ticket to go with him and I get to drive us home after the game after he's consumed too many beverages at the ballpark.Truth be told I have not been as big of a baseball fan (or fan of any other sport) as I am hockey in pssshhh over 30 years now.

Thorne, as well as a few other guys did fill in for the Kings on some road games 5 years ago when Bob Miller was in his last season with the Kings and only doing the home games.

He was also the voice in some of the NHL video games about 10 years or so ago (him and Clement back together for the video games) but it's kind of weird he hasn't done live hockey commentary outside of a handful of games with the Kings in 2016-2017 in.... Probably 18 years now?

Reactions: Dialamo

xigon

Jun 13, 2019
I heard red bulls fans don’t like cangy. (?)

If mike breen knew hockey he’d be my guy. with all the metal devils players hit shooting the puck, I could just hear him say it now. “CLANG !!”

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ugh as if being a fan of this team isn't bad enough we now have the possibility of having someone who is absolutely awful at calling games calling our games now.

I'm glad Cangy is still doing the Red Bulls games though.

Last edited:

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He was one of the top guys in NHL. He'll be missed here.
He's good enough to be on a national broadcast team in NHL or soccer, or wherever he desires.

Hopefully the Devils bring in another younger guy with the same passion and drive. NYC metro area is one of the top areas for media jobs.
Most of the bad announcers are old guys who have stuck around far too long.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I assume Cangi is just burnout on traveling. For the Red Bulls it's less games overall at 34 and even less than that because MSG doesn't get all of the games and MSG doesn't send the broadcast team to the away games.

I heard red bulls fans don’t like cangy. (?)
I'd say more like him than don't like him, I can't say I've seen a ton of complaints or anything. More fans definitely complain about his broadcast partner Shep Messing.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I really like Matt, he's been with the team forever, does great interviews and stuff but he's a pretty brutal play by play guy. Massive long pauses between calls and he's always waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the play.
He would be great for baseball

Isn't Thorne back on Mets broadcasts the last two years at least in some games? I don't get their games here and I got too much going on to do MLB extra innings, I haven't followed baseball closely since moving here 11 years ago, although I do go to a couple Rays games a year with my buddy when he don't take his family. He gets me a ticket to go with him and I get to drive us home after the game after he's consumed too many beverages at the ballpark.Truth be told I have not been as big of a baseball fan (or fan of any other sport) as I am hockey in pssshhh over 30 years now.

Thorne, as well as a few other guys did fill in for the Kings on some road games 5 years ago when Bob Miller was in his last season with the Kings and only doing the home games.

He was also the voice in some of the NHL video games about 10 years or so ago (him and Clement back together for the video games) but it's kind of weird he hasn't done live hockey commentary outside of a handful of games with the Kings in 2016-2017 in.... Probably 18 years now?

I think teams hire in house mostly no? NBC must’ve not liked him since he didn’t make the jump when espn left the scene all the years ago

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Am I the only one who is relieved? Going from Doc to Steve was like going from Le Bernadin to Burger King. So I could never really pallette the guy.

Matt Loughlin would be my choice.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I will miss Cangi and his period of the long change.

1652829909344.png

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Am I the only one who is relieved? Going from Doc to Steve was like going from Le Bernadin to Burger King. So I could never really pallette the guy.

i’m with you 100%. nice guy i’m sure, but i’m glad he’s gone. i agree, loughlin would be great. i’d also like to see dano call a game because it would be hilarious

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think teams hire in house mostly no? NBC must’ve not liked him since he didn’t make the jump when espn left the scene all the years ago
I feel like they might have liked Doc more since they made him the main PBP guy for NBC, but I don't think too many of the ESPN crew came over to NBC. I think Bill Clement did some games nationally for VS/NBC in the early years. I do remember Eddie Olczyk on the B or C team on ESPN, but he was coaching for Pittsburgh at both ends of the lockout when the networks changed. Darren Pang was on ESPN back in the day, but I don't even think he was ever a regular for NBC? Brian Engblom was on ESPN and eventually came to NBC, but I don't think he was on there from the beginning either?

I'm pretty sure they never did bring in Barry Melrose, who is an ESPN staple, He was on NHLN sometimes, but never NBC while the NHL had it.

And I don't remember Pierre on ESPN. I think he was working strictly for TSN in Canada before the NHL on NBC became a thing.

I can't even remember who the main crew was the first year in 05-06? Eddie started out that season as the head coach for Pittsburgh. I remember Doc and John Davidson doing games, neither of whom worked for ESPN, at least not right before the lockout and when ESPN last had hockey.

I even remember Peter McNab calling games with Doc in the first year of NBC and VS (which was the Outdoor Network or whatever at the time), but I don't really remember him much on national broadcasts after that. It was him and Doc calling games for a few years before McNab left to go be the color commentator for the Avalanche (where he still is to this day) when they moved from Quebec and that's when Chico took over.

TNT has taken MOST of the NBC guys over, other than Brian Boucher who went to ESPN and Pierre who stopped commentating to go work for the Senators, which is a job he's already lost. I wonder if he'll be on TNT next year, but I feel like they're probably not that into him either?

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Yeah I agree I was never a big cangi fan. I don’t want Matt doing the games he’s brutal. It’s crazy to think Matt is the last bastion of the sports channel days. Or was Chico around then too? I remember seeing Matt covering devils in like 93

I feel like they might have liked Doc more since they made him the main PBP guy for NBC, but I don't think too many of the ESPN crew came over to NBC. I think Bill Clement did some games nationally for VS/NBC in the early years. I do remember Eddie Olczyk on the B or C team on ESPN, but he was coaching for Pittsburgh at both ends of the lockout when the networks changed. Darren Pang was on ESPN back in the day, but I don't even think he was ever a regular for NBC? Brian Engblom was on ESPN and eventually came to NBC, but I don't think he was on there from the beginning either?

I'm pretty sure they never did bring in Barry Melrose, who is an ESPN staple, He was on NHLN sometimes, but never NBC while the NHL had it.

And I don't remember Pierre on ESPN. I think he was working strictly for TSN in Canada before the NHL on NBC became a thing.

I can't even remember who the main crew was the first year in 05-06? Eddie started out that season as the head coach for Pittsburgh. I remember Doc and John Davidson doing games, neither of whom worked for ESPN, at least not right before the lockout and when ESPN last had hockey.

I even remember Peter McNab calling games with Doc in the first year of NBC and VS (which was the Outdoor Network or whatever at the time), but I don't really remember him much on national broadcasts after that. It was him and Doc calling games for a few years before McNab left to go be the color commentator for the Avalanche (where he still is to this day) when they moved from Quebec and that's when Chico took over.

TNT has taken MOST of the NBC guys over, other than Brian Boucher who went to ESPN and Pierre who stopped commentating to go work for the Senators, which is a job he's already lost. I wonder if he'll be on TNT next year, but I feel like they're probably not that into him either?

Want a good trivia question who was the color guy for the year before Chico took over? I’m pretty sure it was for a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad