GDT: 'Canes (WC1) @ Caps (Met1) Game 1

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
After that first period last night we settled into our game and ended up being rewarded in the third. The Washington defense was shaky all night, and if we keep up the same pressure for the remainder of this series, we are going to have the opportunity to put up a lot of points.

I'm impressed with how we played defensively after that first where we were overwhelmed by the moment. Once they settled in, Washington couldn't get anything going at all.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That was a tough one. Canes put themselves in too deep of a hole to climb out.
A couple of observations.
McGinn needs to sit a game and think about his role. He was lost out there and didn't bring much in the way of physicality.
The PP is horrific. They need quicker puck movement and more motion. Probably more Svech on PP.
While some of the calls against were garbage, we need to stay out of the box, particularly unnecessary O zone penalties. Also, PLEASE be more aggressive killing penalties. Clearly, trying to contain and clog the middle didn't work..AT ALL.
Lastly, if the Canes even think about resigning Ferland, they need to be committed. Hey Michael, how about you take a run at one of the Caps skill guys, or maybe have a go with Wilson after the third goal? At least Wilson knows his role and plays it like Sir Lawrence Olivier.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
well if we want to keep their defense shaky we better hope Kempny doesn't come back. most of what ive heard about him is he is one of the best defensemen on the caps team but injured rn. i hope he won't be here during this series (not trying to be rude but just saying we have a better chance of winning with him out)

He’s out for the season

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
That was a tough one. Canes put themselves in too deep of a hole to climb out.
A couple of observations.
While some of the calls against were garbage, we need to stay out of the box, particularly unnecessary O zone penalties. Also, PLEASE be more aggressive killing penalties. Clearly, trying to contain and clog the middle didn't work..AT ALL.

Agree completely on this regarding the penalties. While Washington got away with a lot, some of the penalties called on Carolina were simply careless or sloppy. Faulk's penalty leading to the 2nd goal was a prime example. Just sloppy stickwork.

If they want to compete in this series, they need to stay off the PK as much as possible. I know the PK was successful as the season went on, but this team needs to stay 5-on-5.

Could Mrazek have had the 1st goal? If he wasn't screened, probably. 2nd was unstoppable by Mrazek (that's on Slavin/Pesce), and the third he gave up a rebound but someone needs to clear that for him before Ovi saunters in to roof it. Then he kept the Canes in shouting distance early in the 3rd, so I'm hoping that's a sign the jitters are gone and Mrazek will be ready for game 2.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Flip Foegele and Svech, then move the Wallmark line down a line or two depending on the flow of the game.

Wallmark has shown he can actually set Svech up from time to time. Rather have him with Svech than Staal. The question is who is on the other wing? Maybe TT or Ferland or Martinook.

Last night Svech did all his damage from the right would prefer not to switch him to LW.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
well if we want to keep their defense shaky we better hope Kempny doesn't come back. most of what ive heard about him is he is one of the best defensemen on the caps team but injured rn. i hope he won't be here during this series (not trying to be rude but just saying we have a better chance of winning with him out)

Kempný is sadly out. He is Czech so it pisses me off. He was complementing Carlson really well.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If I had my way, the lineup tomorrow would be as follows.

Nino-Aho-Williams
Svech-Staal-TT
Ferland-Martinook-McGinn
Manalanen-Wallmark-McLovin

McKegg has been fine, but he’s not a wing, he’s not physical, and he doesn’t kill penalties. I’d rather throw the big, fast, physical Finn in there for 10 minutes to stir shit up. Wallmark is going to be the defensive anchor of that line anyway.

Make Ferland aware of what that 3rd line’s job is. Just like what they did when they threw McLovin up there. If they can’t get him fully engaged it’s going to be a long series.

Last edited:

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Lastly, if the Canes even think about resigning Ferland, they need to be committed. Hey Michael, how about you take a run at one of the Caps skill guys, or maybe have a go with Wilson after the third goal? At least Wilson knows his role and plays it like Sir Lawrence Olivier.
Wilson was making runs at ferland all night but when ferland wanted to fight he went after Nino instead. Ferland catching a game or 2 when we are facing elimination wouldn't hurt my feelings. Been a black hole since the begining of the season except when he has gotten in some scraps.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If I had my way, the lineup tomorrow would be as follows.

Nino-Aho-Williams
Svech-Staal-TT
Ferland-Martinook-McGinn
Manalanen-Wallmark-McLovin

McKegg has been fine, but he’s not a wing, he’s not physical, and he doesn’t kill penalties. I’d rather throw the big, fast, physical Finn in there for 10 minutes to stir **** up. Wallmark is going to be the defensive anchor of that line anyway.

Make Ferland aware of what that 3rd line’s job is. Just like what they did when they through McLovin up there. If they can’t get him fully engaged it’s going to be a long series.

Mostly agree with these, but what I will point out is that Wallmark played a major part in both goals and seems to be Svech’s Larose. Is there a combo where we get what we want from the top 6 and still have those two together? Maybe not.

Our top line has completely died at the absolute wrong time. We can tinker here and there giving Svech more time and responsibility, but unless they wake up and play like a top line there’s no chance of winning this series.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We just need to get our playmakers out there on the PP. Svech and Hamilton have to be getting time on it, they're the ones making us go right now. It certainly appears that whatever funk Aho is in isn't going away this season, so we need to rely on the ones who are producing right now.

That's probably my biggest gripe about Brindy as coach. Our PP sucks, its always sucked under him, and we aren't changing anything. Its insanity at its most basic form.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
since everyone is posting what their lines would be, i will do mine.

Svech Staal Tuevo
Nino Wallmark Foegele
Ferland Aho Williams
Melalanen Martinook Mcginn

Svech played great last night, reward him with the ice time he deserves. Aho has looked like a dying seabass out there so lessen up his ice time so maybe he won't look like it. Ferland will protect people from taking runs on him to and maybe he can get a few passes off to williams for a goal.

Mcginn played horrible and Marty played pretty good but having him playing center on the fourth line would really benefit the canes by giving them ok person on offense and can play more PK time because he looked good on it when he was out there. It will also give us a line that most people wouldn't dare do but would give us a really defensive line and a little bit of grittiness.

Wallmark played a important part on the svech goals but what if we put him out with nino a big body who can get into the front of the net or shoot the puck pretty good and Foegle who has a motor that never stops running, mid season he looked invisible but the last 20 games he consistently played a gritty grindy game and started to chip in on the goal department also. Wallmark can be a faceoff man and help them apply pressure and play a really good crash the net type of game.

Tuevo would be a great playmaker for Svech and could set him up meanwhile staal can crash the net and be that netfront pressence that line could use as a person to block hotby(he is playing like he is on fire, i didn't spell it wrong its a pun) and allow svech and tuevo to get shots off and at him while not being able to see.

I would make my defensive pairings go like

Slavin Hamilton
Pesce Faulk
Flurey TVR

PP
Svech Wallmark Tuevo
Williams Hamilton

Nino Staal Aho
Foegele Faulk

PK
Wallmark Martinook
Slavin Hamilton

Staal Foegele
Pesce TVR

Keep mrazek in net. If CDH was back we would be in greattttt shape and i would have him on the 2nd PK with Pesce and take out TVR.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They won the cup. They’re pretty much as good as they were then. Their pp is lethal and proven in the playoffs.

Coming in we have to play nearly perfect, and count on some good bounces on the pp along with high end goaltending.

There’s no shame in this, it’s a tall order. I expect a bounce back from us, and the whole thing is a great experience moving forward.

We miss Aho.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I really think over the offseason it'd be a fantastic idea to bring in a special teams coordinator type position. I get that it might be crowded behind the bench but just someone who has a little bit of clout to say some of these things in a meeting somewhere. Still love rod the motivator and leader but rod the tactician is not playing to his strengths

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I'm not too worried yet. The special teams did this team in. They were the better team at the drop of the puck up until the Caps scored on their 2nd shot. Then the wheels fell off a little bit, took some stupid penalties and we found ourselves down 3-0. Canes were and will continue to be the better team 5-on-5. They have to find away to stay out of the box. Might be hard as the officials seems to like to call us for every little thing where other teams can get away with alot more, but that has been the case all season, so it shouldn't be a surprise. If they play the way they did for most of the game, they'll be just fine.

One issue I did have was on that last PP, the 2nd unit should have had a shot. Svech was your only scorer, get him out there when there's a man advantage. The first unit had their chance on the pp previously and did nothing, I would have started the next one with the 2nd unit and see what they could have done.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I really think over the offseason it'd be a fantastic idea to bring in a special teams coordinator type position. I get that it might be crowded behind the bench but just someone who has a little bit of clout to say some of these things in a meeting somewhere. Still love rod the motivator and leader but rod the tactician is not playing to his strengths
maybe he doesn't have to be behind the bench? maybe just up in the box or watching the games from a suite

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The goddamn lack of the metric system. All things get messed up because of that like the Masonic plan of Tampere, Finland, where one church is in the distance of 666 archines, or Russian ells, from the Old Church's steeple, whereas all the others are on the circle of 666 metres, and the pentagram got all wonky because of that.
Whatever makes your free time enjoyable...

Reactions: Identity404

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
They won the cup. They’re pretty much as good as they were then. Their pp is lethal and proven in the playoffs.

Coming in we have to play nearly perfect, and count on some good bounces on the pp along with high end goaltending.

There’s no shame in this, it’s a tall order. I expect a bounce back from us, and the whole thing is a great experience moving forward.

We miss Aho.

Agree with every point in this post. No such thing as playing perfect, but to me "nearly" perfect means everyone firing on all cylinders (no one important is "off"). And when your very best offensive player isn't, it's going to be tough.

Washington has the firepower for Ovechkin to have an "off" series. Toronto has the firepower for Matthews to have an "off" series. The Canes do not have the firepower for Aho to be invisible, especially against this team.

Hopefully he wakes up, but if it is indeed an injury I'm not sure that's possible. If Svech scores 2 goals per game we have a shot anyway, but that's not gonna happen.

If we take it to 6 games it's a success and a good learning experience tacked on to a nice season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad