GDT: Canes vs Rags - This is where the fun begins

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Season against NYR
L: 2-1
W: 6-1
L: 1-0

Yep, absolutely no chance in a 7 game series.
totally forgot we beat them down by 5 goals, for some reason thought our win was a 2 goal win with an empty netter. I'm really not terribly worried about the rags, we definitely outplayed them considerably the 2nd and 3rd periods and just couldn't quite get the puck in the net despite many many great chances. Kuzy and Guentzel also need time to get settled in here and I'm confident they'll be contributing much more positively in the points column come playoff time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
These are two evenly matched teams as evidenced by the two tight games and where they are in the standings, particularly with how Carolina started off the season. A hot goalie, a hot power play, key injuries or a lucky bounce or two could tilt a series in either direction if they meet in the playoffs.

If Shesterkin is on his game, Rangers are tough to beat. Even though they didn't score this game, their power play is scary with Fox at the point, Panarin doing his thing and Kreider as an elite net front presence.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
These are two evenly matched teams as evidenced by the two tight games and where they are in the standings, particularly with how Carolina started off the season. A hot goalie, a hot power play, key injuries or a lucky bounce or two could tilt a series in either direction if they meet in the playoffs.

If Shesterkin is on his game, Rangers are tough to beat. Even though they didn't score this game, their power play is scary with Fox at the point, Panarin doing his thing and Kreider as an elite net front presence.
Yeah but even if Shesty is hot, you'd be hard-pressed to find a game where our offense is more out of sync than it was last night. Which is absolutely to be expected with Guentzel playing his first game after being on IR and that game being for a completely new team with his center also being completely new to the team.

Once the playoffs hit, we are going to be a completely different animal to play against. You're not going to be able to win many 1-0 games against us after the team has had a chance to gel. So, I'm not overly worried about results like last night.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Too bad that we didn’t have a few cream puffs on the schedule right now. Allowing the new guys to acclimate and for the lines to iron out the kinks. These Tier 1 competitive games already have a bit of an anxiety factor that seemed evident out of the gate.
Maybe i'm crazy, but i'm the opposite. If we have a lull while the guys figure out the new chemistry now that everyone is active (obligatory - like '06!) it might as well be against the rangers, panthers, leafs. losing those doesn't have a huge impact on anything - i think we're pretty solid for m2 either way - and it is better than shitting the bed against scrub teams. If we're as competitive in the next couple as last night, when they get a 'lesser' team they should destroy them.

Or maybe that is hopium lol

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Maybe Aho and Svech shouldn't be paired together much going forward. I've never thought they had the best chemistry and seeing stats like this after yesterday isn't great

Aho-Svech rated horribly from Jersey game too. My view it's Svetch whose pace/play hasn't been the same since hurt the 2nd time this year. Quite frankly, we need more from the 2nd overall draft pick.

My other thoughts:
-- Rangers defensive positioning was spot on most of the game. Their new players make a difference. They made it very difficult to skate through the zone and canes needed to dump puck in to get o pressure. Downside to that is rags goalie is a great puck handler.
—Rangers O was always sending one or two guys high to counter attack quickly and it worked in the first until canes adapted
-- Pyotr was superb and showcased he could be a goalie to step up in a big game
-- Lucky goal but...
-- For the first time I can remember, against good teams (Fl, Rangers, Vancouver), the Staal line is often getting boxed in our D zone and not spending their shift in the other team's O zone. Is it because Fast is off, don't know, but this trend is worrying. Jarvis didn’t have his best game but his hustle in 2nd was impressive to stop an icing
-- Our 4th line was great last night and if only KK had scoring instincts (Drury would be better???) because he could have scored two
-- Pens fans suggested guentzel is not a fast skater but he sure had good jump and speed last night. He also wasn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas to get the puck. He had that great opportunity last night. I’m optimistic that he makes that after working off rust. Very optimistic here.

Overall, not down after loss although I sure hate the obnoxious NY fans. Lots of Rags fans in boxes too.

Edit: our PP has been meh and is needed to get better. last 10 games: 14.3%; last 20 games: 23.9%. PK has been 89.2% over 20 games, 90.9% last 10.

Last edited:

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
New York didn’t do much tonight either. Their best chances were off some bizarre coverage blunders. The goal was a fluke bounce.

Lost in the finish to the series 2 years ago was New York scoring just 2 goals combined over the other 3 games in Raleigh.
there are plenty of positives to take from this game. One is that we know how the rangers will play defense which is to clog the middle and disrupt shots and/or side to side passes. They are slower than the Canes so it looks like they emphasized having plenty of support in the d zone. I thought the canes at times should have shot the puck quicker last night. they were waiting to make a pass a few times instead of shooting. If they fix this and shoot (aim high to generate rebounds), Rangers likely could not have reacted quickly enough.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Despite being a team that thrives on shot generation it's rather impressive how Shesterkin seems to get in their heads at times. So many instances in the 3rd where an odd man rush went nowhere because of an extra pass that let the Rangers D recover and block or deflect.

Need to see them start shooting low in those instances to try and generate rebounds, especially with the odd man rushes.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I was going to point out Orlov’s brainfart that caused the 2-on-0. It wasn’t him. It was Necas coming off the bench. He’ll hear about that one from the coaches.

I’m envisioning Kotkaniemi in the locker room going “no scratch” like that Saros commercial. Most confident game from him in a while.
Wasn't that on the play Chatty got tripped and went into the boards and had a hard time getting up that wasn't called?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Despite the GKN having it's first game together, that line had some very good looks and showed promise of how dangerous it could be (and sometimes how sketcy it could be). That said, SAT was by far the most disjointed and disconnected line all night, they were fighting every damn pass and shot they had like they had money on the game or something (don't worry I'm kidding). Outside of a few great plays by Jarvy, MSJ was invisible last night. 4th line looked good but just couldn't quite cash in.

Honestly, I'd roll this next game
GAJ (seriously, stop wasting Jarvy on Staal)
SKN (I think Svech-Kuz could make a good connection)
MST (nobody there is generating much offense anyway, let them grind guys down before the 4th line comes out)
Nosen-KK-Drury-Pepe-Fast blender (I'm not sure where the Pepe nickname came from?)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Kuzy, Guentz and Necas were our most dangerous line by far last night and had several near-goals. That's in their first game without having developed any chemistry yet. I'd keep them together for a couple weeks and see how it all progresses. SAT was horrible last night but we have a larger sample size with them that suggests that was merely a one off poor game. I may consider giving Koko more time and giving him Jarvis instead of Fast. But I wouldn't mess with the top 6 quite yet.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

<< append Frenchy refs

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Despite being a team that thrives on shot generation it's rather impressive how Shesterkin seems to get in their heads at times. So many instances in the 3rd where an odd man rush went nowhere because of an extra pass that let the Rangers D recover and block or deflect.

Need to see them start shooting low in those instances to try and generate rebounds, especially with the odd man rushes.
Rangers blocked 23 shots. They were good plus our guys have the knack of hitting players too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad