GDT: Canes v Jets

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Svech will not keep shooting 2.6% all year. His career average is 11.2% so if you regress him towards his averages he should have three or four more goals already which would also put him at point per game. One of these days the floodgates will open.
maybe but this is not the svetch we have been accustomed to right now.

Not skating as well either.

Reactions: zman77

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
maybe but this is not the svetch we have been accustomed to right now.

Not skating as well either.

I'm hoping it's a calendar year thing because even before the injury he wasn't good when January rolled around.

If he doesn't start getting it going soon, we have a serious problem.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Teams have ups and downs. That includes up and down seasons, and this just might not be our year based on to night. In fact I think it's

467717401-game-over-man-game-over.jpg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So what’s the consensus on our goaltending this game? 2 goals on 21 shots is not terrible, and both goals were more about the team leaving him to dry than anything else. And he made some big saves at the end of the game to give us a chance.
On the other hand, when opposing goalies make 20+ more saves and give up 1 less goal, it’s hard not to have a “What if” moment in that regard.

With the next two being back-to-back, you’ve got to imagine both Raanta and Kotchetkov will start one. Who do you start against the rejuvenated McDavid and Draisaitl?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Grade A’s:

Canes management needs to rethink one of two things: either a true #1 goalie that can perform better than expected on higher percentage shots is needed, or a completely new systems that doesn't suppress as many shots but is better at suppressing high danger shots is needed. And from where I'm sitting and seeing the goalies we've seen available (no idea what is realistically available for trade behind the scenes) over the last couple of seasons, it looks like the system is the easier thing to change.

I hope Rod is capable of adjusting.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
21-22 204 HDCA, .8243 save % (21st best)
22-23 196 HDCA, .8623 save % (6th best)
23-24 177 HDCA, .8167 save% (17th best)

its hard to know that through 24 games, the same goalie tandem would drop .05% on HD save percentage from one year to the next. .86 would have them 3rd in the league and .824 would have 15th in the league.

• Wow
Reactions: chaz4hockey

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Canes management needs to rethink one of two things: either a true #1 goalie that can perform better than expected on higher percentage shots is needed, or a completely new systems that doesn't suppress as many shots but is better at suppressing high danger shots is needed. And from where I'm sitting and seeing the goalies we've seen available (no idea what is realistically available for trade behind the scenes) over the last couple of seasons, it looks like the system is the easier thing to change.

Hahahaha. Yeah he's so good at that. I mean 1st line Martinook is a stroke of brilliance! We're just all too dumb to understand it.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Sadly, when was the last time one of our goalies stole a game? Position is voodoo but clearly some teams have done a good job at drafting talent.

Agree with your point about player trade availability…..I’m hoping Philly and Calgary free fall and/or Nashville wants to trade one.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
21-22 204 HDCA, .8243 save % (21st best)
22-23 196 HDCA, .8623 save % (6th best)
23-24 177 HDCA, .8167 save% (17th best)

its hard to know that through 24 games, the same goalie tandem would drop .05% on HD save percentage from one year to the next. .86 would have them 3rd in the league and .824 would have 15th in the league.
umm, is the HDCA the previous 2 years through a full season or just the same number of games we've played this year?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hahahaha. Yeah he's so good at that. I mean 1st line Martinook is a stroke of brilliance! We're just all too dumb to understand it.
Martinook's played a grand total of 17 min. with Aho 5v5 this season. That includes time when line changes are made, guys get stuck out there, after a penalty/PK, when the coaches juggle the line in games where the team is struggling, etc..

Over the last 2 seasons and this one, Martinook has played only 208 5v5 min out of 1875 min. with Aho, so 11% (again, including line changes, guys getting stuck, etc...). So it's safe to say that "1st line Martinook" probably really happened about 5% of the time over this timeframe and typically when the the team needs a wake-up call.

Aho's most common linemates, in order, during this stretch:
Jarvis: 1346 min
TT: 1105 min
Svech: 673 min.
Necas: 561 min.

I get that it's a fun meme and you'll say "Well, it should be 0%", but the reality is, that when teams struggle, every NHL coach makes moves like this to try to kickstart something.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Svech will not keep shooting 2.6% all year. His career average is 11.2% so if you regress him towards his averages he should have three or four more goals already which would also put him at point per game. One of these days the floodgates will open.
I hope so.

By body type, he should be one of the League’s top power forwards similar to the Tkachuks.

Right now, he is far from it and most worrisome is that his skating speed/quickness is much worse than pre-injury (I was worried that this would be a down year for him and right now it’s playing out that way….maybe next year we get the “old” Svetch).

Also, due to the dumb penalties he takes he has dialed down the physicality and what we now get is the pass biased play making Svetch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad