Confirmed with Link: Canes trade Haydn Fleury to Anaheim for Jani Hakanpaa, 6th

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
:) I just noticed the Canes have the best player names in the league:
Hakkapalita a 17th century cavalry unit - Hakanpaaa
Reiter (a type of cavalry in 17th century europe) - Niederreiter
Fogell from the movie Superbad - Foegele. i saw there is even a Cane fan with the Fogell/McLovin Superbad avatar :)
Joe Pesci from Lethal Weapon 4 - Pesce
Mr. Bean - Jake Bean
Joakim Phoenix - Joakim Ryan
Fast & the Furious - Jesper Fast.
Sebastian Aho - makes me think of ordering Ahi Tuna from a Hawaiian BBQ.
Any last name that sounds like a Fish is generally good in Sports, see Mike Trout or Tim Salmon MLB.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Fogell from the movie Superbad - Foegele. i saw there is even a Cane fan with the Fogell/McLovin Superbad avatar :)
Mr. Bean - Jake Bean
Any last name that sounds like a Fish is generally good in Sports, see Mike Trout or Tim Salmon MLB.
Lethal Weapon 4? C’mon.

donitsi

Jan 11, 2015
Mr. Bean - Jake Bean

You get even better if you translate the word aho from Finnish to Japanese via Google and translate from Japan back to English. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So now that is has been a handful of games are people happy with the trade ? Finnish Thor is quite a machine.
I can't comment on Fleury, haven't really watched my team lately because well not much to watch.

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So now that is has been a handful of games are people happy with the trade ? Finnish Thor is quite a machine.
I can't comment on Fleury, haven't really watched my team lately because well not much to watch.

Jani has played a good quiet game. A very solid presence anchoring the 3rd pair but I’d like to see some more of that snarl from him

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Kano had played a good quiet game. A very solid presence anchoring the 3rd pair but I’d like to see some more of that snarl from him

I can understand wanting more snarl although I have enjoyed and appreciated him playing the role of cooler out there for many scuffles.

It's also hard to fight when someone like Hornqvist only gets aggressive with Hakanpaa when a linesman is between them.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
He reminds of a Marek Malik. Just better at defense and willing to throw a hit when its there.

He's not going to goon it up like a Chara, but he's not going to shy away from it. A nice happy balance that should help keep him out of the box more often than not.
Well Chara rarely ended up in the Box.

Reactions: Stickpucker

FinLurker

Aug 22, 2016
With the acquisition of Hakanpää I noticed that there's a lot of former finnish Oulun Kärpät players, who have played in Hurricanes. Jussi Jokinen, Joni Pitkänen, Sebastian Aho, Janne Kuokkanen, Jani Hakanpää, Saku Mäenalanen (and Oskar Osala, though he played in Kärpät after his NHL/AHL stint). And there are also few draftees like Tuukka Tieksola. I know that Pitkänen was a scout for Hurricanes few years ago and to me it seems that he did quite a good job. I hope that the pipeline wont tail off now that Joni no longer scouts for Hurricanes. Some suggestions for upcoming draft: Aatu Räty, Samu Tuomaala and Ville Koivunen.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
With the acquisition of Hakanpää I noticed that there's a lot of former finnish Oulun Kärpät players, who have played in Hurricanes. Jussi Jokinen, Joni Pitkänen, Sebastian Aho, Janne Kuokkanen, Jani Hakanpää, Saku Mäenalanen (and Oskar Osala, though he played in Kärpät after his NHL/AHL stint). And there are also few draftees like Tuukka Tieksola. I know that Pitkänen was a scout for Hurricanes few years ago and to me it seems that he did quite a good job. I hope that the pipeline wont tail off now that Joni no longer scouts for Hurricanes. Some suggestions for upcoming draft: Aatu Räty, Samu Tuomaala and Ville Koivunen.

I know both this draft and these playoffs have the potential to be more of a crapshoot than most... but I don't think we'll get the chance to pick Raty.

Not to mention we've already had a Rattie in the past and it did not work out :laugh:

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad