Confirmed with Link: Canes trade Haydn Fleury to Anaheim for Jani Hakanpaa, 6th

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Impending UFA

6'5, RHS dman, played in the Karpat system with Aho for a bit. Guy is basically a black hole offensively, but brings a good bit of snarl with a good defensive game.

Honestly not a huge fan of this as I thought that Fleury had to have more value than that, but makes sense as a pre-emptive move before the ED. Basically forces Ronnie to now pick between Skjei and Gardner if we do the expected and protect Bean, Slavin, and Pesce.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hey guys, boards are back, did we miss anything?

Oh, just Fleury being dealt for a 6'5 218lb RHD who has elite level advanced stats defensively and is 3rd in the league in hits, and yet that still feels a little like a disappointment?

Fun stuff, the hot takes would have been scalding

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jani Hakanpaa • D
Ht/Wt:6'5", 218 lbs.
Born:Mar 31, 1992 (29 yrs) in Kirkkonummi, FIN
Experience:1 years
Drafted:Drafted by St. Louis in 2010 (4/104).
Acquired:Acquired as a free agent in 2019.
Shoots:Right

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
It's Hakanpaa. Or more accurately Hakanpää.

Anyways, I feel bit conflicted about this. Liked Fleury and thought he had more value than this. I also would have preferred to keep him for expansion draft purposes.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Not a huge fan as well, but if you keep the ED in mind it doesn't seem AS bad.

Fleury never had much of a leash here, would not be shocked to see him breakout as a #4 D-man. Curious what the Ducks situation is with the ED and if he will take up a slot there.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Impending UFA

6'5, RHS dman, played in the Karpat system with Aho for a bit. Guy is basically a black hole offensively, but brings a good bit of snarl with a good defensive game.

Honestly not a huge fan of this as I thought that Fleury had to have more value than that, but makes sense as a pre-emptive move before the ED. Basically forces Ronnie to now pick between Skjei and Gardner if we do the expected and protect Bean, Slavin, and Pesce.

It actually is a good move for playoffs. Hakanpää is a stay-at-home defenseman with grit who actually got to the top-pairing on Ducks, because of his defensive game. He doesnt score, nor is he a flashy player. He can defend though , also hit and fight. Hes built for playoffs.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not that familiar with JaniHa (new nickname) but I like this deal for the stretch run this year -- Fleury also was offering absolutely nothing offensively this year so we get a similar defensive D man for the bottom pair but one with some serious physicality and nastiness, which will be great for any potential playoff matchups with Dallas, Boston, Tampa, etc... Agree with you Dave on the value, not really sure why we sold so low on Fleury and I'd rather have just lost Fleury in the ED than Skjei (they won't take Gardiner). I'd have preferred we just traded picks for JaniHa and kept Haydn to expose during the expansion draft (or be insurance for Skjei if they took him instead).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ducks fan here, you'll like Hank. He is solid defensively and every once in a while he will make a offensive play that makes you look twice. He's better than you think.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Effective shutdown guy, hits a lot.

Not Manson. I've see some Ducks fans on twitter saying that he's good, but it just feels like we could have gotten more for Fleury, especially since Fleury has a full year left and will still be an RFA, while Hakanpaa is an impending UFA. Kinda makes me think Fleury requested a trade and we had to scramble to work something out after other teams went with different options.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Hey guys, boards are back, did we miss anything?

Oh, just Fleury being dealt for a 6'5 218lb RHD who has elite level advanced stats defensively and is 3rd in the league in hits, and yet that still feels a little like a disappointment?

Fun stuff, the hot takes would have been scalding
A reminder: it's easier to get hits when your awful team never has the puck, as my NHL20 defenseman character can attest.

Still, I think you're mostly correct in your analysis.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018

Impending UFA

Didn't think about ED like that. It's a good point that now they can expect Skjei to be the casualty. This means they have better visibility into their future cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad