GDT: Canes Look To Shoot Down The Jets

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It's not about being optimistic or pessimistic, it's about looking at the big picture and not getting so worked up about every single regular season game, win or lose. Just as the Florida win didn't mean that much, neither did this loss.

- Canes have been the 3rd best team in the NHL since Dec 12th (which was a turning point in the season after starting off horribly and having a players only meeting). They've done this with Svech battling injuries and using a 3rd and 4th (off of waivers) string goalie.
- Canes are comfortably in a playoff spot and aren't likely going treat every game like a must win, no matter who it's against. TB in their cup winning years were the same.
- Most everyone agrees, that for Carolina to go further in the playoffs they need more top 6 scoring talent and we need our goaltending to stablize.

This loss (or if they would have won) doesn't change that.

I'm confident the Canes will make the playoffs. I expect them to win at least 1 round (of course, match-ups matter). I expect them to struggle beyond that if they don't get more scoring talent and their goaltending situation sorted out.
"I'm confident the Canes will make the playoffs. I expect them to win at least 1 round (of course, match-ups matter). I expect them to struggle beyond that if they don't get more scoring talent and their goaltending situation sorted out."

And therein lies my anguish and at the crux of my point and why I am not optimistic.....I've seen enough hockey in my lifetime and in particular these recent Canes/ makeup of current squad of players to conclude that unless a bold move is made by next Friday it's another "lost" year (this fan wants the team to get to at least the 3rd round and win a damn game in it...right now, I don't see it).

With Slavin, Burns & Staal aging & Skjei/Pesce probably off to different pastures we may not re-surface as a significant SC contender until the Holy Grail from Ru shows up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
"I'm confident the Canes will make the playoffs. I expect them to win at least 1 round (of course, match-ups matter). I expect them to struggle beyond that if they don't get more scoring talent and their goaltending situation sorted out."

And therein lies my anguish and at the crux of my point and why I am not optimistic.....I've seen enough hockey in my lifetime and in particular these recent Canes/ makeup of current squad of players to conclude that unless a bold move is made by next Friday it's another "lost" year (this fan wants the team to get to at least the 3rd round and win a damn game in it...right now, I don't see it).

With Slavin, Burns & Staal aging & Skjei/Pesce probably off to different pastures we may not re-surface as a significant SC contender until the Holy Grail from Ru shows up.
The point is that is the case regardless of what happened in yesterday's game. IMO, the team needs another top 6 scorer at a minimum. I'm not sold yet on our goaltending either without Andersen back.

Last edited:

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
I'm glad we didn't do anything draconian when we ran into Bob on a heater last ECF, just like I'll be glad if we don't do anything draconian after blowing a big lead in the 3rd against Winnipeg on March 2nd. Teams with young to prime-age talented cores, chemistry, and to a lesser degree cap flexibility have the most shots at the cup over a muti year arc. Teams that overreact to a crappy microenvironment - Pittsburgh, LAK, Toronto - or who hold that prime age core together after they are past their primes - Capitals, TBL, end up failing over a multi year arc.

Its about having 15% shot at a cup for 5 years, not increasing the odds to 25% for one year while torpedoing the other 4.

And yes I am bringing all kinds of biases to those thoughts.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm glad we didn't do anything draconian when we ran into Bob on a heater last ECF, just like I'll be glad if we don't do anything draconian after blowing a big lead in the 3rd against Winnipeg on March 2nd. Teams with young to prime-age talented cores, chemistry, and to a lesser degree cap flexibility have the most shots at the cup over a muti year arc. Teams that overreact to a crappy microenvironment - Pittsburgh, LAK, Toronto - or who hold that prime age core together after they are past their primes - Capitals, TBL, end up failing over a multi year arc.

Its about having 15% shot at a cup for 5 years, not increasing the odds to 25% for one year while torpedoing the other 4.

And yes I am bringing all kinds of biases to those thoughts.
I agree, but also the Canes management clearly feels they need more elite talent upfront based on who they've gone after (Eichel, Tkachuk, Petterson). They recognize that's a missing piece.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
No argument here. But they clearly aren't going to take huge, over the top risks with our core in light of their "secret sauce." And I think that's a good thing.

EDIT - I acknowledge - who knows what they offered up for EP40?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Apathy stop doing violence to your fellow posters here ok? It’s just a regular season hockey game, it’s not worth it.
:laugh:

Maybe it comes with age, but there was a point in my life years back where I realized that none of this stuff matters. Not just sports, but a lot of other stuff in life, and I probably should have recognized it earlier.

I (hopefully) have 30 good years left on this planet. While that can be depressing to some, it's uplifting and refreshing to me, because it's easier to let the nonsense not bother me or matter. If something isn't enjoyable, it's easy to let it go.

I enjoy the conversations on here, even when we disagree and I try not to get worked up about it although I did get worked up some years back.

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Violent disagreement? You might be taking this a bit too seriously.

So let's say this. We both agree:
1) The team will make the playoffs
2) The team should win 1 round (depending on match-ups)
3) The team will struggle past the 1st round

So we agree on this, correct?

Do you also agree that our goaltending, while being better recently is still unproven and unsettled?
Do you also agree that we need more scoring talent in our top 6?

Where we disagree (from what I can tell), is that you are determining a team's character on a sample of individual regular games and I prefer to look at a larger body of work? Correct?

Doesn't sound very violent to me, but to each their own .
I said violent AGREEMENT, not disagreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad